Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,671 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

First time posting, but I have read through the forum quite a bit, I am currently living in MN and have been to Nashville once this spring for work for a few days and loved the city.

I am a 26 year old single male, looking to make the move by myself, knowing no one down there. I would preferably like to live right in Nashville. The nightlife and obviously music scene seem very good. I am also big in to sports, what is the following in Nashville like with the Titans and SEC football and basketball? Do people get wrapped up in the season or is it kind of an after thought?

What is the job market there right now like? I am working in the travel industry now and make about 30,000 a year. but I have not finished my college degree yet. Is it easy to find a job in that range?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgk26 View Post
I am a 26 year old single male, looking to make the move by myself, knowing no one down there. I would preferably like to live right in Nashville. The nightlife and obviously music scene seem very good. I am also big in to sports, what is the following in Nashville like with the Titans and SEC football and basketball? Do people get wrapped up in the season or is it kind of an after thought?
I have a very good friend who moved from New Jersey to Nashville without knowing a soul. It didn't take him long to find some friends...so I kinda know what you're going through. Nashville does have a good music scene. I can't speak about the nightlife, but it seems to be thriving. Football is very big here. The Titans dominate the conversation on Monday morning most places. People really get into it. Vanderbilt is the local SEC team and even though they're here in Nashville, there are more UT football fans than Vandy fans here. Still, the city (and the southeast in general) devours SEC football. You'll find fans of every team in the city. Vandy has a very good basketball team and draws very well. We have the Predators for hockey, but right now the team is on life-support. The fans are rabid, but there seems to be just a little too few of them.

Quote:
What is the job market there right now like? I am working in the travel industry now and make about 30,000 a year. but I have not finished my college degree yet. Is it easy to find a job in that range?
There are lots of travel agencies around town, if that's what your looking at. There are lots of different types of jobs here and if you're looking at entry-level positions, I'm sure you'll find something in that price range.

Good luck in your move! I think you will really enjoy Nashville winters. Most Minnesotans that I know laugh at our reaction to wintertime.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM

28 posts, read 70,686 times
Checkout Meetup.com for Nashville. There are a TON of groups and it is very easy to meet people and build up a social life (e.g. Beer meetup, Wine meetup, Dining out, Sushi group, game group, etc)

Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
At the age of 26, I picked up from and moved from NJ to Nashville without knowing a soul. I made friends and built a great life! So, I highly encourage your move. Sports are huge here. Do not have any worry about that. Just go for it and most of all, enjoy every single moment!!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,671 times
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Its definetely nice to hear about other people making the transition. I am planning on visiting down there the last week of September, to try and find an apartment. Any suggestions for what I should be looking at in Nashville. I think I want to live right in Nashville. I am sure it varies but what can I expect to pay for a 1 bed room apartment?? It doesnt have to be something amazing, but a safe and decent place would do the job.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgk26 View Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Its definetely nice to hear about other people making the transition. I am planning on visiting down there the last week of September, to try and find an apartment. Any suggestions for what I should be looking at in Nashville. I think I want to live right in Nashville. I am sure it varies but what can I expect to pay for a 1 bed room apartment?? It doesnt have to be something amazing, but a safe and decent place would do the job.

Thanks
Whatever you do and despite what others may say, please do not rent anywhere in Antioch. The prices will tempt you, but it, overall, is not a safe place to live at all. I have heard Bellevue and West End/Hillsboro areas recommended, but I lack enough knowledge about those areas to really direct you. I experienced Antioch personally and have had friends who lived there as well, and there is little if anything good about it.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Whatever you do and despite what others may say, please do not rent anywhere in Antioch. The prices will tempt you, but it, overall, is not a safe place to live at all. I have heard Bellevue and West End/Hillsboro areas recommended, but I lack enough knowledge about those areas to really direct you. I experienced Antioch personally and have had friends who lived there as well, and there is little if anything good about it.
I too never suggest newcomers look in Antioch. Maybe someone who knows Nashville well could find something there that is safe and nice, but moving to a new city is tough enough without having to deal with some of the issues in Antioch.

I've lived in Bellevue for over twenty years, but it doesn't sound like Bellevue is a good fit for the original poster. It's very nice, and safe, but it's a bit on the dull side if you're looking for much in the way of nightlife nearby. It's a great place if you like nature however; the parks and Natchez Trace are just a short distance away.

The Midtown/West End/21st Avenue area would be a possibility. That area sounds like what the OP is looking for.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I too never suggest newcomers look in Antioch. Maybe someone who knows Nashville well could find something there that is safe and nice, but moving to a new city is tough enough without having to deal with some of the issues in Antioch.

I've lived in Bellevue for over twenty years, but it doesn't sound like Bellevue is a good fit for the original poster. It's very nice, and safe, but it's a bit on the dull side if you're looking for much in the way of nightlife nearby. It's a great place if you like nature however; the parks and Natchez Trace are just a short distance away.

The Midtown/West End/21st Avenue area would be a possibility. That area sounds like what the OP is looking for.

Thanks for shedding some light on the Bellevue and Midtown/West End/21st areas for me alleycat!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 PM

187 posts, read 623,252 times
you can usually find small apartments for rent in peoples upstairs near Vandy/Belmont. This is a great area to start but if nothing there...head on out to Bellevue. You should be able to get a job for that with no problem...lots of hotels around Vanderbilt and Belmont that are always hiring if that is your interest. Good Luck..you will love Nashville. Be sure to check out Lightning 100's Team Green: Tennessee Outdoor Adventure Club to meet lots of other singles who are into adventure and outdoors. Just remember....most people in Nashville used to live somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: