Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times

Advertisements

Just curious....................

Last edited by scottv; 08-31-2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
What would warrant getting a gun now if an East Nashvillian doesn't already own one?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
What would warrant getting a gun now if an East Nashvillian doesn't already own one?
I'm guessing the original poster is referencing the tragic murder of the Vandy prof and his sister.

Since this isn't a political forum, I won't get into the statistics of the dangers of having a gun in your home

Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
I am proud of our East Precinct and their detective work. They already have 4 suspects in custody.

UPDATED: Police to charge four in murder of Vanderbilt professor | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean (http://tinyurl.com/65earx - broken link)

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 AM

I'm just asking a simple question...not whether you think guns are good or bad...your comment is starting a political discussion by implying they are bad...well, that's great the police have some suspects...I hope if you or someone else you care about is murdered in cold blood they find the guys too...doesn't really do much good for the victims now does it?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
***your comment is starting a political discussion by implying they are bad.***

Nothing political about stating that our Police have done an excellent job, we've got some of the best in the City at the East Precinct.

I have made no implication that guns are bad. Quite the contrary, I already own a gun, several in fact .....

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm guessing the original poster is referencing the tragic murder of the Vandy prof and his sister.

Since this isn't a political forum, I won't get into the statistics of the dangers of having a gun in your home
You mean statistics such as the fact that children are more than 100 times more likely to be killed by a swimming pool in your backyard than by a gun in your house?

I don't even drive through East Nashville without carrying, and I certainly wouldn't LIVE there unprotected.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM

156 posts, read 451,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
If your gun is kept in a safe the dangers are greatly reduced. In fact, that should be mandatory if you have kids in the home.

My ex-husband has owned guns since I've known him. He's always had them in a safe. Our 9 and 12yo sons know they are there, have seen them, touched them, etc but cannot get into the safe. He did have to take a gun out once when we heard a strange noise in the home (while we were still married), but it turned out that a raccoon had torn through the screen and gotten into the kitchen Much easier to deal with!

He has his for target shooting. I personally have no desire for guns and even if the western part of Murfreesboro became crime ridden, I still wouldn't run out and get one, just not for me. Thankfully we are permitted that choice - if you want to own one, go for it; as long as you legally are able to.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
***your comment is starting a political discussion by implying they are bad.***

Nothing political about stating that our Police have done an excellent job, we've got some of the best in the City at the East Precinct.

I have made no implication that guns are bad. Quite the contrary, I already own a gun, several in fact .....
My comment was in response to the post by septimus above yours...

Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,170 times
Murders happen everywhere. I wonder how many people have bought a gun in Brentwood with the string of murders there lately. Or in Bellevue when the lady was killed in her house in the middle of the day? Artemis is correct, there are plenty of people (including newer transplants) that live on the eastside that own guns...you can't group us all in to the one liberal/tree hugger type stereotype. Also kudos to the East Precinct. Obviously as judged by their actions after the murder/shooting, these thugs were imbeciles bound to end up in prison eventually. Too bad they had to cause such a great tragedy in doing so. It's been a sad week in our neighborhood, and everyone's heart has gone to the Professor and his sister. This will only make everyones resolve to clean up the streets on the eastside that much more of a priority.

Last edited by yank283; 09-02-2008 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville