Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

286 posts, read 804,524 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me an estimate on what an average monthly or semi-monthly grocery bill is like in the area for a 3 person family? For comparison, me and my roommate spend about $200-$300 every 2 weeks for food in the DC area. I am not talking about a ton of food/junk food either, just enough for lunch and dinner (left overs the next day) type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
That depends on how much you eat. I'm guessing that Michael Phelps's grocery bill would be significantly higher than Mary-Kate Olsen's.

Count on about $3.50 for a gallon of milk, $3.50-4.00 for a gallon of orange or grapefruit juice, $2 for bread, $1.50 for a dozen eggs, etc. Also, in case you weren't aware, sales tax is 9.25% here. Other than the tax thing, there isn't a ton of variance in the price of groceries from state to state.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
A slightly correction to Pimpy's post. There are two sales tax rates here; one for unprepared food, and another for everything else. I don't find that the lower tax on food helps all that much at the grocery store since it's seem like 1/3 of what I buy isn't actually food, and it's only a slight reduction in the tax rate anyway.

I can tell you what one man and a cat spends at Publix most weeks: about $150+ (that includes cleaning supplies and stuff for lunch during the week). Food has gone up a lot in the past year or two. Two years ago I could have gotten out of the store at $100 a week. I could probably cut my grocery bill somewhat if I tried and clipped coupons and that sort of thing . . . I just don't have the inclination.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Ok thanks. So other than the housing issue, how is cost of living different state by state? If I am paying the same for food, gas (probably), where is the savings I am hearing about and how it will be so much cheaper than the area I am in now? Cable and internet is about $100 here, same I am guessing for there, food is roughly the same, taxes are higher (though no income tax makes it about even), and I am guessing electricity, natural gas and the usual utilities run about the same as well. So other than property taxes and housing, how is the cost of living any different?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure how to compare Nashville to where you're living now, unless I made a research project out of it.

The last time I saw a comparison, the cost of living in Nashville was something like 94% of the national average (I'm going by memory, so I could be wrong about that figure). You will probably save on taxes more than you think, electricity is probably cheaper, and maybe a few more things. Some other things may be higher; although I doubt there's too many since you live in the DC area.

In any event, most of us who live here don't use a lower cost of living as one of the major factors in why anyone should want to move here. I never try to talk anyone into moving here anyway since I think that depends too much on the individual's needs and wants. While the costs of living here is somewhat lower than the national average, so is the typical income (for the same job), so, all-in-all, it sort of all equals out.

I've not sure what posts you're referring to about savings, but someone was probably pointing out the lower tax structure, possibly lower housing costs (according to what part of the country Nashville is being compared to), and maybe lower utility costs. A few people have have experienced a significant lower cost of living when they moved to Nashville, most probably only experienced a slight reduction, and some might have even experienced an increase in their cost of living. So if you read a post where someone claims you can save a lot of money in living expenses by moving to Nashville, they are probably the exception rather than the rule. I hope that makes a little sense.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not. I was just trying to put things into perspective.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I'm not sure how to compare Nashville to where you're living now, unless I made a research project out of it.

The last time I saw a comparison, the cost of living in Nashville was something like 94% of the national average (I'm going by memory, so I could be wrong about that figure). You will probably save on taxes more than you think, electricity is probably cheaper, and maybe a few more things. Some other things may be higher; although I doubt there's too many since you live in the DC area.

In any event, most of us who live here don't use a lower cost of living as one of the major factors in why anyone should want to move here. I never try to talk anyone into moving here anyway since I think that depends too much on the individual's needs and wants. While the costs of living here is somewhat lower than the national average, so is the typical income (for the same job), so, all-in-all, it sort of all equals out.

I've not sure what posts you're referring to about savings, but someone was probably pointing out the lower tax structure, possibly lower housing costs (according to what part of the country Nashville is being compared to), and maybe lower utility costs. A few people have have experienced a significant lower cost of living when they moved to Nashville, most probably only experienced a slight reduction, and some might have even experienced an increase in their cost of living. So if you read a post where someone claims you can save a lot of money in living expenses by moving to Nashville, they are probably the exception rather than the rule. I hope that makes a little sense.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not. I was just trying to put things into perspective.
It was more with the cost of living comparison calculators that I used that made the big decrease in cost of living for my area to there, I mean it basically said I would only need 50% of what I make now to keep my current standard of living. I'm just worried that making less money down there I will be in over my head...my car payment and insurance is the same regardless of where I move, my CC and phone bills are the same too. I am going down there to help out my sister while she is in school, so basically helping to care and provide for her and her kid along with myself.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:21 AM

156 posts, read 451,013 times
When my sweetie and I head to the grocery store once a week or every two weeks, we do not spend too much - maybe $100 and that $100 mark is usually when it's been two weeks since we went shopping. We are buying food for 2 1/2 people (we don't have his son full time). We generally eat meat each night and we each bring lunch to work. We do not eat breakfast at home during the week, but do on the weekends.

I am definitely a coupon gal, watch the sales, etc. Publix doubles coupons up to 50 cents I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I generally use a coupon during a sale to help the savings. Shop Publix on Sunday or Monday and you can get an interesting item for a penny (one week was those re-usable bags!) We have found their prices to be a bit cheaper than Kroger.

We don't usually buy too many fresh veggies/fruits, so if you do, that would likely cause your bill to be higher than ours.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:26 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
we are a family of 6 and I spend about $800/mo on groceries and we eat out twice a month and I only spend about $1-1.25 for a loaf of bread at Kroger. Milk is about $3.50 gal and OJ about $3.29/half gallon. If you know how to shop the sales you'll be fine (ie chicken breasts go on sale every 4-6 weeks so I stock up)

Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM

150 posts, read 441,274 times
I generally do most all of my grocery shopping at the Wal Mart Supercenter. I have found them overall to be a good bit cheaper than the other grocery stores in my area (Kroger and Publix). I personally love Publix and Harris Teeter but can't afford them. I am single and have two dogs, but I buy premium food for them from various places (buy quality food now or pay your vet later!). I buy almost everything at WM, including cleaning supplies and toiletries. My bill averages about $55 or so a week. I do buy a few things at Whole Foods (usually veggies/fruit). Not many, just a couple. I am currently unemployed and my budget does not allow for that. Also, I have a membership to Costco. I buy only meat (chicken and beef) some cheese and fresh pineapple (keeps me stocked up for a while with the large quantities). Also, I live in the Westmeade/Bellevue area and most days there is a man who puts up a little stand on US70S and sells fresh veggies and some fruit that he produces.

For fresh veggies and fruit, I hear that the farmers market is great. There is also a large farm stand on Glen Elen right off of the Hillsboro Pike.

I live for the day that I can do all of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market and the farm stands!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eescapes View Post
Also, I live in the Westmeade/Bellevue area and most days there is a man who puts up a little stand on US70S and sells fresh veggies and some fruit that he produces.
I'm not sure if they still do it, but they used to have a mini farmers market at St. Henry's every Friday. Several farmers would show up and sell their produce from the back of their truck beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: