Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 PM

286 posts, read 804,636 times

Advertisements

Have an interview on Friday morning and a day of house shopping planned for Saturday, and flying back to VA on Sunday. My free time is limited as this is the only chance I have to visit before I move down there for good on the 27th.

So, given my limited free time (basically after my interview and Fri/Sat nights), what/where would you suggest I go? I am 25 so am looking for something fun (bar, club, venue, etc) to do, as I am really nervous about the big move at the end of the month and with this being my first and only time visiting Nashville before I move I want to do/see something that will help ease my nerves. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
I don't know how going to a bar or club would help ease you nerves about moving to a new place, Honestly, there is a helluva lot more to Nashville then the 2nd ave. clubs.

If you want to see Nashville to see that you made the right choice, Go to the Parthenon, Check out Opry Mills mall and if you can the Opry Mills hotel. There really isn't alot to do here other then bars and clubs if that's what you're into then that's good. Nashville is a pretty decent drive from some attractions though.

Atlanta is 4 hours, St. Louis and Cincinnati are 5 hours, Louisville is 3 hours, Birmingham is 3 hours, New Orleans and Chicago are 7 hours.

Within a 5 hour drive you can choose from 3 diffrent Six-Flags theme parks ( St. Louis, Louisville, Atlanta ) and Kings Island in Cincinnati.

Lots of fun outdoors stuff around, Fishing, Hunting, Camping, ect, ect. Honestly man, I've lived in Florida, Texas, and Tennessee and honestly, This is the best city I've ever lived in. I think I'll prob. live here for the rest of my life.

Good luck and don't be nervous. Welcome to Tennessee !

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM

195 posts, read 525,340 times
I know exactly what you should do, I just hope this is not late for you to read : Thursday you go to Opry Mills mall/convention center. Eat dinner at the the Aquarium inside the mall.

Friday, bring a pentel pen, go to the office and take care of the interview and impress them with your experience on Opry and Aquarium. In the afternoon, say around 4pm, you drive to downtown and just walk around the main club/bar streets. Eat at Hooters if you like, at least its something familiar plus, the girls are always lovely. Or have early dinner at BB King's. Then walk towards Tootsies Bar and hang out and and enjoy the great bands that perform there. Using your Pentel Pen, make sure you vandalize their place (it seems pretty welcome there) by signing your name and date in the wall or wherever there is still space left (I had my initials carved in a wall panel).

When you get hired and become a Manager someday, you can then always go back to that spot with your signature and date and say "this is where it all started".

Saturday, as you said is house hunting. Try Hermitage, Lavergne. Or, those you already set out to visit.

Then by that time after that you're almost drained phsycially so just rest inside your lodge. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM

195 posts, read 525,340 times
Let me clarify about the vandal/signing you name thing, it's inside Tootsie's Bar, that is where I was referring. Keep Nashville clean !

Old 09-13-2008, 12:28 PM

150 posts, read 441,421 times
Hey SoutherBoi,

Don't stress so much. My story is much like yours. I am a SouthernGirl, born and raisied in Columbia, SC. Lived there my whole life except for the last three+ years I lived in NC. If anyone had asked me five years ago, I would have said that I would never leave Columbia.

But, life happens and you do what you have to do. I moved to NC for a job. Luckily, I had a very close friend that lived there so I had a connection and wasn't totally alone. That made it a easier for me to make the move. That job ended in Feb. I never really felt comfortable in NC. I knew for a long time that it was not the place I wanted to spend the rest of my life. It's was nice, just not right for me.

For some unknown reason, I had felt for the last two years that this is where I belonged. I too had never been to Nashville except traveling through several times on the way to visit family in KY.

So, when the job endend it was time to move on. Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith. I moved here in early June. You could not be any more nervous than I was! I came here totally cold, not knowing a soul or anything much about the city. My first visit was in April when I came to look for an apartment. I didn't find out much then, as there were terrible storms and drenching rains that weekend.

I had some sales jobs lined up before I got here and they all fell through right after I came. So, new city, no friends or aquaintances and no job!
But, I knew that I had made the right move. When you are in the right place and trust your instincts things have a way of working themselves out.

I found that I really loved it here even though I have hardly gotten my feet wet in these few short months! Eventually, I met a few people and made some random connections that lead to really good new job opportunites.

Somethings take time (as I learned in my move to NC as well as here). You will learn your way around (it's pretty easy), find you favorite places to shop, eat, hang out, get comfortable with the lifestyle and make friends. So, don't stress. Have a little patience and trust your instincts, Nashville is a great place!

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM

187 posts, read 623,370 times
go to F. Scotts for some jazz in the bar...great desserts too

Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eescapes View Post
Hey SoutherBoi,

Don't stress so much. My story is much like yours. I am a SouthernGirl, born and raisied in Columbia, SC. Lived there my whole life except for the last three+ years I lived in NC. If anyone had asked me five years ago, I would have said that I would never leave Columbia.

But, life happens and you do what you have to do. I moved to NC for a job. Luckily, I had a very close friend that lived there so I had a connection and wasn't totally alone. That made it a easier for me to make the move. That job ended in Feb. I never really felt comfortable in NC. I knew for a long time that it was not the place I wanted to spend the rest of my life. It's was nice, just not right for me.

For some unknown reason, I had felt for the last two years that this is where I belonged. I too had never been to Nashville except traveling through several times on the way to visit family in KY.

So, when the job endend it was time to move on. Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith. I moved here in early June. You could not be any more nervous than I was! I came here totally cold, not knowing a soul or anything much about the city. My first visit was in April when I came to look for an apartment. I didn't find out much then, as there were terrible storms and drenching rains that weekend.

I had some sales jobs lined up before I got here and they all fell through right after I came. So, new city, no friends or aquaintances and no job!
But, I knew that I had made the right move. When you are in the right place and trust your instincts things have a way of working themselves out.

I found that I really loved it here even though I have hardly gotten my feet wet in these few short months! Eventually, I met a few people and made some random connections that lead to really good new job opportunites.

Somethings take time (as I learned in my move to NC as well as here). You will learn your way around (it's pretty easy), find you favorite places to shop, eat, hang out, get comfortable with the lifestyle and make friends. So, don't stress. Have a little patience and trust your instincts, Nashville is a great place!

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
I moved here much the same way. No anything. You just build your life from scratch. It was sacry but so much fun! I knew I belonged here and was determined to make a life, so I did. I would not trade that experience for the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville