U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM

185 posts, read 421,628 times

Advertisements

There are to many Walmarts being built IMHO. There are already 6 of them within 25 miles of where I live. The newest one being in White House. I have no beef with them, I've always got good deals there and their return policy is pretty good, but enough is enough. It seems like they are just taking over everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 PM

21 posts, read 37,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
As for the former Kroger worker on Dickerson Pike, we affectionately call that one "ghetto Kroger". I tried to stop there once and had to rush out of there since a bunch of scary people were giving me the once-over like I was their next target.
Nice.

And yes, buildings are going up.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM

109 posts, read 317,798 times
I am not familiar with the Nashville area, so can someone tell me where the new Lowes is being built? and what kind of area it is? Is it in a town? or on the outskirts of a town? or is it in nashville proper?

In my experience 9 times out of 10 lowes are built in conjunction with walmarts, on a few occasions the walmarts are across the street. Normally built in shopping centers though.

Home Depots like to build stand alones!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:31 AM

290 posts, read 717,450 times
You are right about the blasting. I work at NorthStar Studios, which is on the opposite side of Interstate 65 from where the new WalMart and Lowes are being built. Everyday around 2:30-3:00, we get a good shaking from a blast.

However, I welcome them to the neighborhood, as I think the new stores will improve the quality of the whole area. I have been working in this area for almost 13 years and have seen great improvements, especially with the addition of Skyline Medical Center.

I hope the demolition crews warn Skyline Medical Center before they blast. That wouldn't be good for someone undergoing brain surgery If we get a good shaking out of the blasts, I can only wonder what Skyline must feel.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 PM

4,679 posts, read 5,104,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Yes, the new Wal-Mart & Lowe's will be in a decent area.
That is NOT a decent area of town.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
As for the former Kroger worker on Dickerson Pike, we affectionately call that one "ghetto Kroger". I tried to stop there once and had to rush out of there since a bunch of scary people were giving me the once-over like I was their next target.
That neighborhood isn't exactly the best. It isn't the worst by any means but maybe since I grew up in some rough areas It didn't effect me that much. Eastland Kroger and the Kroger down off of 8th avenue near Garfield is way worse then the Dickerson Rd. one.

I worked the nightshift at the Dickerson Rd. Kroger and we always had a few hours of overtime. We only had a crew of 4 people and honestly, It took us roughly 2 hours a night to clean the store of the remains of stolen property. Mostly things like half eaten food, merchandise wrappers, ect, ect.

Honestly, People of all races, nationalities, and backgrounds shop and steal at that store. One night when we were doing a remodel, someone stole the boomlift right out of the parking lot.

The new Wal-Mart will either lock their doors and close at night or they'll have ALOT of theft. Either way, I don't live around there anymore so I don't care.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainna View Post
There are to many Walmarts being built IMHO. There are already 6 of them within 25 miles of where I live. The newest one being in White House. I have no beef with them, I've always got good deals there and their return policy is pretty good, but enough is enough. It seems like they are just taking over everywhere.
According to Wal-Mart.com's store finder, there are 16 Walmart stores within 25 miles of Hendersonville.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,270,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucandoit View Post
I am not familiar with the Nashville area, so can someone tell me where the new Lowes is being built? and what kind of area it is? Is it in a town? or on the outskirts of a town? or is it in nashville proper?

In my experience 9 times out of 10 lowes are built in conjunction with walmarts, on a few occasions the walmarts are across the street. Normally built in shopping centers though.

Home Depots like to build stand alones!
It's at the northern end of the intersection of Dickerson Road at Briley Parkway. It is directly across the road from the entrance to Skyline Hospital.

I think once you get up to that end of Dickerson Road going towards Goodlettsville, it's much better than the Southern part going towards downtown Nashville. I have no problem going in that area at all.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 PM

290 posts, read 717,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
It's at the northern end of the intersection of Dickerson Road at Briley Parkway. It is directly across the road from the entrance to Skyline Hospital.

I think once you get up to that end of Dickerson Road going towards Goodlettsville, it's much better than the Southern part going towards downtown Nashville. I have no problem going in that area at all.
You are right.

Dickerson Pike has improved in this area all the way to Trinity Lane due to efforts of business people in the area working with The Metro Police Dept. to rid it of crime. Jack, who runs Jack's Bar-b-que, has been leading the effort to clean up the Dickerson Pike and Trinity Lane area. I work near I-65 and the Briley Parkway Interchanges and the area has greatly improved over the past 13 years.

As in any area, you have to be aware of your surroundings, but for the most part Dickerson Pike towards Skyline Medical Center is pretty safe during the daytime hours. Since, I am not at work during the evening hours, I can't give you any information, if the area changes for the worse. I have, on occasion, gone into work at 4:00 in the morning and never noticed any problems in the area around my workplace.

To be honest, I live in Donelson, and I see more graffiti in my area than I do in the area of Dickerson Pike my workplace is located on. Come to think of it, there is no graffiti on Dickerson Pike in the area I work.

There was a move at one time to change the name of Dickerson Pike to Skyline Blvd to get rid of the stigma associated with the name Dickerson. I haven't heard much about that recently though.

I think you will be pretty safe, if you work at the new Lowe's. But, here again, just be aware of your surroundings.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM

145 posts, read 339,686 times
It seems the blasting for the new Walmart and Lowes has finally gone too far. The state shut down the construction site following a bad incident yesterday around the lunch hour. Large boulders went flying, damaging surrounding buildings and/or vehicles. Homeowners and businesses have reported damages to their buildings (not just from yesterday's blasting, either), and now these property owners plan to meet both with the state and each other. This was on the local TV news last night as well.

Here's the news story (with video):
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=9217346

Last edited by MiddleTNresident; 10-22-2008 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville