U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 101,115 times
Default What's the problem with Antioch???

Some posts make it sound like a crime ridden marginal community, while others have included it in their short list of desirable areas to live in. Can someone please give me their opinion on livability, crime, and why I should or shouldn't be looking for a new home there?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM

408 posts, read 1,334,162 times
Some parts of Antioch may still be good like the area going toward the parks and lake. But other parts have been run down in the past few years. There was some gang trouble at the mall a little while back. It used to be a nice mall, but lots of stores left and trouble apparently rolled in.
There is a story on www.newschannel5.com you will find if you search for Antioch that says people want to change the name of the community because it has become associated with crime, traffic, and new development.
You can also look for news stories in that area at www.wsmv.com, www.wate.com, and www.tennessean.com
This link is to the crime log for a week:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....196/COUNTY0104
The ones listed under the heading of South look to be the addresses considered Antioch.
My husband was living in South Nashville, not technically Antioch- just above it. Within about a year (summer 2005-2006) there were two shootings and a woman set on fire. Also, there appeared to be drugs and prostitution going on and this was next to an elementary school. There was also a lot of gang graffiti and someone wrote something in Spanish that appeared to translate into them bragging about stabbing someone. The area was decent when he moved there in 2003 or 2004 then suddenly some people into illegal activity moved in and it went downhill fast.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:24 PM

63 posts, read 295,077 times
Antioch is decent. Some areas aren't exactly great though. I would definatly stay away from most apartments in the area-too much trouble. The newer neighborhoods are better options. Antioch High is a disaster. Drugs, gangs, bad stuff happens there. Una elementary is OK. There has been alot of commercial growth though in the area recently. They're building shopping/malls strips like crazy. Starbucks and other higher-end restaurants like TGI Friday have also recently opened. So overall, it all depends on where you live. Heres a breakdown:

Positive: Entertainment, theatres, food, shopping, schools, libraries, diversity, plenty of new homes.
Negative: Crime seems to be going up, traffic.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 62,188 times
I have lived in Antioch for the past 6 years and I've seen it change dramatically. Lots of crime and lots of traffic. It's not like that in all of Antioch, but certainly is in the part I currently live in.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 64,272 times
Avoid Antioch like the plague. See my other comments on this area in my follow-up to "Jaddison8"'s posting.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,739,461 times
Antioch looked good to us online from afar. Diverse population, affordable new housing, easy commute, etc. Then we checked schools and crime. Next!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 PM

166 posts, read 690,304 times
My girlfriend told me that was the one area to avoid if I was going to buy a home in Nashville. She lived in downtown Nashville for many years and told me to avoid it like the plague, too!

I haven't been there yet, but I don't plan on buying in Antioch!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:48 PM

40 posts, read 98,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Antioch looked good to us online from afar. Diverse population, affordable new housing, easy commute, etc. Then we checked schools and crime. Next!
Antioch is on a web site? Man I am a native Nashvillian and Antioch has been in the pits for the last 20 years. Too much like east LA and Tiaquana. Gangs and drugs on just about every major corner. Too urban and crime is real bad in the LA (lower antioch). You picked the best place to live in TN - Franklin.
Too bad you and all the other Californians are coming too! And Nissan just laid off a bunch of ya! Wow how depressing is that? Move from CA to TN then get laid off. Good luck finding a comparable job in Nashville. The pay sucks so bad in middle TN.
See ya around Franklin

Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 AM

10 posts, read 47,111 times
Antioch definitely has the stereo-type of being the ghetto but I have to disagree. Unless you live in Brentwood(which is starting to see more crime) or Franklin, there is gonna be crime near your neighborhood...drugs are everywhere. I think the north side of town is worse than Antioch. I just moved from Nashville and my job required me to work with deliquent teens all over Nashville and I spent much more time on the north side of town with gang members and only know of a handful of kids that were in the Antioch area...I didn't work with any of them. Gang-wise, the Crips, GD, and Bloods were all north and west sides of town...the MS-13 (granted they can be more dangerous) were towards Antioch...or Nolensville Rd area. They got together on the east side of town at Opry Mills area.
To sum up...there are "dangerous" pockets in any neighborhood...you just have to do your research before you choose a specific home. One of the hot spots in town right now is 12st Ave S area and one street is "ghetto" and the next is high dollar. I wouldn't want my kid to go to any middle or high school in Davidson Co.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 AM

356 posts, read 759,080 times
I don't agree with the downtown Nashville part. How far downtown do you mean? Smack downtown you will get lofts but on the edges you have some great areas (Vanderbilt, Belmont). The housing prices are out this world (My neighbor just sold a 2 bedroom 1 bath house with no yard on 12th for $360,000).
I also have to say that the Hillsboro School CLuster is an EXCELLENT school system.. My child goes to Julia Green Elementary and you won't find a public school as good in Williamson County. The parents are uber involved - they raise money to provide for a FULL time ART teacher, a FULL time MUSIC teacher, and a FULL time Spanish teacher, as well as PE 4 days a week. Recently they were just selected to recieve a federal grant for a FULL time Mandarin teacher. They also have violin, chess club, the list goes on and on. I agree about Antioch and area know as Brentioch - AVOID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville