U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 AM

228 posts, read 291,704 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh - completely forgot that I saw this here from you first Courtney - removing my recent post... Oh. Can't remove, so crediting properly *blush*

Last edited by Kevin south of Nashville; 01-13-2011 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Hvae no idea how the forum really works yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,684,949 times
^ I never would have thought a thing about you posting it. It's a pretty neat app, hopefully more people can see it now that it has a thread

Courtney

Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 AM

21 posts, read 26,128 times
So this is completely off the subject, but I just want to say "I can't believe how hyped up people can get, when talking about the deep southern accent." I think it's such a nice accent, it sounds very kind and smooth, and it's NOT uneducated at all. I can't wait to move to Nashville! It's going to be awesome, any you can all make fun of my southwestern Utah accent if you want! And yes, I do understand that you don't all have a southern accent, I'm just saying that I like the southern accent, and in Nashville it will be a lot more noticeable for me because I have lived in the west my entire life. Can't wait!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 AM

21 posts, read 26,128 times
***And by the way...that does look like a cool app. It will probably help me a lot when I first move out!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM

2,900 posts, read 3,628,286 times
You'll definitely hear some pretty thick southern accents now and then. We have so many people who've relocated here that you don't hear southern accents all the time. I've lived here all my life so I don't really notice my accent...but sometimes I do pick up on little things. Like saying "thang" versus "thing". And of course the correct use of the plural "y'all".

You do occasionally hear someone who sounds like Cletus, the slack jawed yokel but most of the time we have a dignified southern accent I think.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM

^Honey, I WAS Cletus the slack jawed yokel! It absolutely pains me to watch old home videos

Thank goodness my accent has now evolved to a place where I can say my work phone number in a normal amount of time! Two Fiiiiiiive Fo-wore It about wore my transplant co-workers out! I am happy to report that I can now say most of our numbers in one syllable, as intended!

Yayla, Nashville is a great city, I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do

Courtney

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
^Honey, I WAS Cletus the slack jawed yokel! It absolutely pains me to watch old home videos

Thank goodness my accent has now evolved to a place where I can say my work phone number in a normal amount of time! Two Fiiiiiiive Fo-wore It about wore my transplant co-workers out! I am happy to report that I can now say most of our numbers in one syllable, as intended!
That cracks me up. I didn't realize how "southern" my accent was until I took a job where I had to talk to people in the northeast much of the day on the phone. No offense to New Englanders, they gently mocked my accent, but I didn't hesitate to tell them that I'll take a slow southern drawl over the New England accent anyday.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Just read that Metro PD is going to use unmarked SUVs to patrol for texting-while-driving. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote:
Starting today, Metro police will do what few, if any, police agencies have done in Middle Tennessee to combat this problem: text patrols. Metro is pooling the department's unmarked SUVs to cruise Nashville's trouble spots, peer down at drivers and ticket those who just can't disconnect. The SUVs, many of which were seized from drug cases, are used by specialized detectives like the department's gang unit.

Though other agencies do enforce the texting law, oftentimes the only time a driver is cited for texting while driving is when there's another offense.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM

^Can't you just hear folks now "but officer, I was just dialing my wife's number"!

I guess they'll have to be looking for a minute to actually tell the difference

Courtney

Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Yeah, the article said they basically have to watch you for a minute.

Which sort of begs the sort-of-a-joke-but-not-completely question...if they're watching me text while I drive, while they're driving the same speed...isn't that dangerous too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville