U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM

2,881 posts, read 3,521,998 times

Advertisements

Last September there was a Battle of Franklin re-enactment, and that appears to be an annual thing: as you can see by this Google search. There aren't a great deal of re-enactments around Nashville or Franklin as Gwoodie pointed out because of urban sprawl. That said, there are a number of living history events scheduled this year at Stones River (150th anniversary of the battle) and all around the area.

If you want to take a scenic drive (down the Natchez Trace would be my suggestion) you can visit Shiloh...there's a 150th anniversary re-enactment there March 29th. That might be pretty cool to see. Shiloh is definitely worth the drive if you're even remotely interested in the Civil War. Shiloh was the first major battle in the West and was the bloodiest battle for a very long time. Shiloh is near Savannah TN...close to the Mississippi border...about 2 hours away on the Trace or 1:30 by highway.

As for most southerners wanting to forget...I'm not sure that's true...especially now with the 150th anniversary remembrances going on all across the south. But there's a fine line between "celebrating" it and "remembering" it. Most people seem to fall under the "remembrance" category though you do run into those diehards fall into the other camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM

610 posts, read 774,874 times
I went back to look for a thread I started when looking for painters, but seems it disappeared, as well my recommendation for movers. What's the deal? Thought would be helpful, as the painter thread was for me.
So CountrygirltoB THANK YOU for your recommendation. Dennis of 99 dollar painter is just wonderful. We were very impressed with him and his prices.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM

190 posts, read 130,881 times
I was told Shiloh is one of the places to visit even before we were looking at moving to Tennessee. Reading through the Battle of Franklin things online there are a lot of articles about how much of the battlefield has been lost to development. A very different history to what I left where towns are just barely a hundred years old and there are no buildings from even those days.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM

The closest "big" city to Shiloh is really Corinth, MS...which is why the battle was fought there to begin with. Which is probably why the majority of the battlefield remains in tact. There's a Civil War museum in Corinth that might be worth checking out...I didn't get a chance to see it when we were down there but have read that it is nice.

Stones' River also is one of the most endangered battlefield sights due to suburban encroachment. Seems like I read an article a few years ago that it was on the National Parks Services top 5 most endangered battlefields.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM

If you're a Sumner County resident, the county's EMS will program your weather radio for free this Thursday and Friday.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,217,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
That's awesome! Thanks for posting, +1 !

Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Here are some interesting details about the Greensboro North plan in southern Gallatin. I know it's a 20 year buildout, but this will do much to get the area from northern Hendersonville to Gallatin to really grow...including the Station Camp area.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,217,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
I went back to look for a thread I started when looking for painters, but seems it disappeared, as well my recommendation for movers. What's the deal? Thought would be helpful, as the painter thread was for me.
So CountrygirltoB THANK YOU for your recommendation. Dennis of 99 dollar painter is just wonderful. We were very impressed with him and his prices.
airen123 Your painter thread did not disappear; it is right there for anyone to see: any suggestions for painters? (interior)

As far as a movers thread, I went back through each of your posts for an entire year and I found that you posted in moving threads but I did not find any threads that you started.

To find any of your posts click on Search>Advanced Search> and follow the screen.

If you need any other help just let me know.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 AM

610 posts, read 774,874 times
Thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Cool article with photograpic evidence of wild animals right in the heart of Nashville off of West End Avenue. Looks pretty "woodsy"...must be out near Belle Meade somewhere, but still...coyotes, foxes, hawks, turkeys, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville