Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM

362 posts, read 645,693 times

Advertisements

So we have an accepted offer and our house passed inspection with no problems. Not quite sure when closing would be but we are thinking sometime in Feb.

Didn't think our home would go so quick. As you could imagine we are freaking out a bit, especially since we are also hosting holiday gatherings since this our last year here. Any tips for packing would be appreciated.

We though we were going to stay with my mom (me, husband, two older sons and two pug dogs) but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen.

Soon we will be packing up our home and putting in storage. We will travel down in three cars. I'm worried about my dogs as they don't travel well. Advice???

So we need to find a furnished rental that allows pets while we search for our new home. This will be short term.

Has anyone moved from northeast (Long Island) to TN and gone through similar situation? Can you give advice? I would appreciate it. My stomach is doing flips from being so uptight and not having any concrete plans of where we are going or what we are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 03:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I've never moved out of state, so I'm no help there.

But you might also want to search/post this in the Moving forum. They deal with these questions all the time.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Old 11-21-2013, 04:57 PM

372 posts, read 593,506 times
Real Tracs is a good place to start. You can click on the county you want to focus on and search for rentals.

We always found our rentals before we moved, but we signed a year lease. While we waited for our stuff to arrive, we booked a room at The Residence Inn for a week. A year is a good amount of time to learn about the area and where you may or may not want to settle long term.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Short term month to month furnished rentals can usually be found under 'corporate housing' or 'executive apartments'. It's what I did when I moved 700 miles across state and needed some place to stay while I went on a whirlwind house hunting spree.
Something like this maybe? Furnished and Extended Stay Apartments

Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Yes, the Moving Forum is quite helpful!

I moved twice. Loaded a UHaul truck with stuff from my storage unit in CT, along with things we knew we would not need for a while. Books, records, a spare microwave, etc. Drove the truck down and put stuff in a storage unit. (I can recommend one if you want). Flew back on Southwest.

Really, if you are going to rent a place for a few months, the less STUFF you have to worry about, the better. Or you could go the POD route? Where you fill it up and they store it for you until you want it. Not cheap but easy!

For packing, one of my best tips is to put ALL the remotes, to ANYTHING in one box. I used a shoebox. ALL the remotes. Somehow when I packed my TV one move, I threw the box away with the remote wrapped in newspaper at the bottom. So now? One box for every remote I have.

I used those plastic containers rather than cardboard boxes. They are already 'made' and you 'save' tape.

My sisters dogs came up from FL with no trouble. Best to ask your vet, I think, maybe for some 'calm' pills. We stopped every couple of hours. The rest stops usually have a doggie area.

To be honest, it all works. It just does. You'll get all the packing done (pack the careful stuff first - glass, breakables - because towards the end you are throwing pillows and bedding in garbage bags just to get it packed!) and you'll find a place to live and it will all work out. I moved with my 87 year old mother and a diabetic cat and I don't know how I managed but I did!

Will DM you a place that rents houses/apartments.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Recommend using a dog carrier / cage and familiarizing the dogs with the cages. Don't feed the dogs much before or during the trip (maybe a high protein snack). Tire the dogs out before the trip (walks). Stop often for walks. Of course, don't leave the dog in a parked car.

Be prepared for messes just in case. The trip will take a bit longer than usual, but that's the price you pay for travelling with pets.

I don't recommend putting the dogs on the cartop (like Romney), or eating them (like Obama).

Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Thank you so much for all your responses. I'm not having regrets but I AM nervous as hell. I just hope it goes as smooth as possible.
What makes it all the more stressful is I have to shut down my business for at least six months during transition.

You would think me being a yogi that I could manage my stress levels. Go figure

Thanks also for the link to moving related topics. I read one thread about "regretting your move" and was happy no one made a bad post about TN.

Quick question though. I have to admit I'm a little concerned with religious beliefs and alcohol.

I am born (as is my husband) Roman Catholic. Many years back I stepped away from the church. I was turned off at their actions. They have no problem asking for their stipend but when a family from the congregation fell upon very hard times and asked for financial help from the church, they said they couldn't help them.

Once I became involved with yoga and the yoga community, I developed a fondness for the philosophy and practice of Buddhism. I still love it but I wouldn't say I am a devoted practitioner.

I realize I will need to join a church in TN (Nashville suburbs). I saw a few comments here stating that a majority are Baptist. I'm not really familiar with that denomination and their practices or belief system. But there have also been references made that if you drink socially (or at all) you are going to hell. I've also read they have no respect for Catholics. This can't be true, can it? I can't imagine people would be so extreme.

If I sound naive please forgive me. I also mean no disrespect. I am just asking for correct info and opinions on this.

It is common in the summertime for me and my husband to hang by the pool all day and have some cocktails and BBQ. Don't want my neighbors to treat us poorly for this. It is also common to have privacy fences here. It seems like backyards are very open there allowing neighbors insight into your private life

Old 11-22-2013, 06:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
There are plenty of drinkers here. You'll be fine from that perspective.

Nobody checks your religion card at the gate.

You don't HAVE to join a church.

There are people of MANY religions in this area.

Don't let that get in the way of your transition. I promise you'll hear more comments about your New York accent than your religion.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are plenty of drinkers here. You'll be fine from that perspective.

Nobody checks your religion card at the gate.

You don't HAVE to join a church.

There are people of MANY religions in this area.

Don't let that get in the way of your transition. I promise you'll hear more comments about your New York accent than your religion.
WOOHOO!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
I realize I will need to join a church in TN
Why?

I've lived here 1.5 years and have not stepped into a church and have no plans to.

And you can drink every day of the week. This is a big drinking town. Just have your home supply for Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville