U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM

67 posts, read 166,451 times
nashville is behind on building sidewalks as well as bike lanes, although they are making some (slow) progess. the public schools aren't what they should be, either. but there really aren't very many people that honk- even at bikers. we don't do that much. i HATE driving or walking places where people honk all the time when driving. i LOVE that we don't do that much in Nashville. There are a lot of pros to living here, but the lack of walkability and bikeability OUTSIDE THE parks or special areas is the main downside i think. i have found good chinese, indian, italian, middle eastern, french and every other kind of food, though. nashville is MUCH more diverse and accepting than it used to be, but i does vary. around vanderbilt is very diverse, the suburbs in williamson county much less so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 AM

75 posts, read 150,385 times
I didn't read the entire thread, so this may be a repeat. My biggest complaint is the public transportation system, or lack thereof. Nashville has made strides with the Music City Star, but that's only on one side of the city. Plus, the schedule is very limited. I think the last train leaves downtown around 5:30 so forget working late or having a drink after work. I do appreciate the HOV lanes, but I wish it was enforced more regularly.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,813,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Rick View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, so this may be a repeat. My biggest complaint is the public transportation system, or lack thereof. Nashville has made strides with the Music City Star, but that's only on one side of the city. Plus, the schedule is very limited. I think the last train leaves downtown around 5:30 so forget working late or having a drink after work. I do appreciate the HOV lanes, but I wish it was enforced more regularly.
I find that the HOV lanes in I-24 are very heavily enforced. Almost everyday I see someone getting pulled over for going solo in the HOV lane.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM

75 posts, read 150,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I find that the HOV lanes in I-24 are very heavily enforced. Almost everyday I see someone getting pulled over for going solo in the HOV lane.
They're not enforced very much at all coming in from Hermitage on I-40.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Rick View Post
They're not enforced very much at all coming in from Hermitage on I-40.
I guess it varies depending on which portion of which interstate you are driving on and maybe the county as well.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,555,662 times
"I didn't read the entire thread, so this may be a repeat. My biggest complaint is the public transportation system, or lack thereof. Nashville has made strides with the Music City Star, but that's only on one side of the city."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're intending to say, or reading too much into it, but Nashville has public transportation all over the city. There are plenty of bus routes to take you anywhere you need to go within Nashville at all different times of the day. Yeah, it may not go out to Hermitage (or maybe it does I don't know?) but last time I checked Hermitage is not Nashville, it's a suburb. I have a car but my house in East Nashville is so close to downtown I choose to utilize our public transportation system, it's $78 mo. & takes me anywhere I need to go within Nashville in a reasonable amount of time. People are always griping about our lack of mass transit but a lot of people don't utilize what we already have.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
"I didn't read the entire thread, so this may be a repeat. My biggest complaint is the public transportation system, or lack thereof. Nashville has made strides with the Music City Star, but that's only on one side of the city."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're intending to say, or reading too much into it, but Nashville has public transportation all over the city. There are plenty of bus routes to take you anywhere you need to go within Nashville at all different times of the day. Yeah, it may not go out to Hermitage (or maybe it does I don't know?) but last time I checked Hermitage is not Nashville, it's a suburb. I have a car but my house in East Nashville is so close to downtown I choose to utilize our public transportation system, it's $78 mo. & takes me anywhere I need to go within Nashville in a reasonable amount of time. People are always griping about our lack of mass transit but a lot of people don't utilize what we already have.
What we are really lacking is public transportation to Nashville from other parts of TN....neighboring counties and cities.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,376,706 times
Quote:

$78/mo?? ours is only $75 -- although they do want to raise it to $90. But Chicago's network is clearly way more extensive than Nashville's, plus we can use our transit cards to ride the suburban buses.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,555,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
$78/mo?? ours is only $75 -- although they do want to raise it to $90. But Chicago's network is clearly way more extensive than Nashville's, plus we can use our transit cards to ride the suburban buses.
Comparing Nashville to Chicago isn't a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination...but since you brought it up I'll go along with it for this instance & say that if Nashville could have the same ridership as our Northern counterpart then there would be more interest & more money to expand the transportation that's offered and lower the prices (which I think is more than reasonable at $78). I know they're working on trying to expand to the suburbs but I've lived in Middle Tenn my entire life & most people I know cannot imagine not having a car, the majority of which would still choose to drive regardless of how much mass transit was available.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,376,706 times
Quote:
Comparing Nashville to Chicago isn't a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination...but since you brought it up I'll go along with it for this instance & say that if Nashville could have the same ridership as our Northern counterpart then there would be more interest & more money to expand the transportation that's offered and lower the prices (which I think is more than reasonable at $78). I know they're working on trying to expand to the suburbs but I've lived in Middle Tenn my entire life & most people I know cannot imagine not having a car, the majority of which would still choose to drive regardless of how much mass transit was available.
I guess what i was trying to say is that it would be fair for us to pay $90 for a month if Nashville is paying $78 for its smaller system. Believe me, I wish that the Nashville metro would think further into the future and expand their transit more (I used to drive an hour+ to work every day from Columbia to Nashville, and I do not miss it one bit. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville