Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
But I thought you lived in Lascassas? That's not to say that you don't live in a subdivision in Lascassas that is run by a horrible HOA. You just always really promoted Lascassas so strongly.

THe HOA I am in isn't an overbearing clique of power-hungry ego-driven idiots. You have to have a good balance of rules that make sense and people who understand it is an HOA not a dictatorship.
My HOA is no problem either. My neighbor who has lived here from 2002 when Subdivision was new said no one ever said anything when she has added something.
My friend in Franklin put 2 flamingos near her house and received a notice about it.
Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCam View Post
....you can drive on one road and it will change names 2 or 3 times without you ever turning off of it. There is one named Harding Place, then Battery Lane and I think it turns back into Harding or Harding Place once it is over towards Belle Meade.
Buzz aka BuzzCam
Don't the roads in most places change names as you go out of one community and into another? My daughter lives in Murfreesboro off of a main route and it has several names as it runs acress the county, through Lavernge, Smyrna, Murfreesboro and rural Rutherford County. The difference in Nashville is that newcomers think of Nashville going all the way to the county line but that is only the governing body. There are still small cities, towns and communites in Davidson Co. and many of these named the portion of the road that goes through their town before Davidson County and Nashville merged.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,671 times
You are correct on roads changing names from one county to another.

A few streets within Nashville/Davidson County will change names without ever leaving the county

Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I dislike how you can be in a certain city, such as Murfreesboro, and be inside the city limits or outside the city limits, but still be in the same county. It just makes no sense to me. The same goes for the schools. We have Rutherford County Schools and Murfreesboro City Schools, both in Murfreesboro, but on different calendars.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
You are correct on roads changing names from one county to another.

A few streets within Nashville/Davidson County will change names without ever leaving the county
Yep, Nashville is sort of famous for that. Sometimes there's a logical reason for it (long forgotten) and sometimes it just seems like a whim. I know why some of the streets change names for no apparent reason.

For example, most newcomers probably wonder why White Bridge Road changes names to Woodmont Blvd. when it crosses Harding Pike since it's the same road. It's because . . . twenty-five years ago the two roads did not run directly in to one another. White Bridge met Harding further east than it's present location.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Thanks AlleyCat,

I used to live at I-24 and Harding Place back in the 80's, and I think Harding Place changes names as you cross Franklin Road to Battery Lane, but the changes back to either Harding Road or Harding Place in the Belle Meade area.
And. Stewart's Ferry changes to Bell Road near Percy Priest Dam, but re-appears as Stewart's Ferry Pike in Wilson County.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,253 times
Quote:
Thanks AlleyCat,

I used to live at I-24 and Harding Place back in the 80's, and I think Harding Place changes names as you cross Franklin Road to Battery Lane, but the changes back to either Harding Road or Harding Place in the Belle Meade area.
And. Stewart's Ferry changes to Bell Road near Percy Priest Dam, but re-appears as Stewart's Ferry Pike in Wilson County.
That's because Stewart's Ferry used to go straight out and cross Stone's River. When they made Percy Priest lake much of Stewart's Ferry Road went under water. The parts in Davidson and Wilson used to be all one road. When they made all the changes they just curved what became the end of Stewart's Ferry around to meet up with Bell Road.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcotn View Post
That's because Stewart's Ferry used to go straight out and cross Stone's River. When they made Percy Priest lake much of Stewart's Ferry Road went under water. The parts in Davidson and Wilson used to be all one road. When they made all the changes they just curved what became the end of Stewart's Ferry around to meet up with Bell Road.
It would be interesting to do a little scuba diving next summer to see what is still left at the bottom of that lake. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to do a little scuba diving next summer to see what is still left at the bottom of that lake. Thanks for the info!
That is the reason Percy Preist Lake has som many drowning incidents. People dive down and get caught on the excessive debris on the botttom of the lake. Old Jefferson, TN was demolished in the 60's and made into Percy Priest Lake. Basically, the town was just bulldozed and filled with water. They did not remove all of the debris resulting from the demolition.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
My dad used to take me out to Percy Priest shortly after it was filled, or partially so. We would actually stand on roads up our waists in water and cast for bass. The lake had been stocked with thousands of small bass so catching them was easy. They just weren't big enough to take home. He always made me aware of the submerged barbed-wire fencing just off the roadways underwater.

If anyone ever wants an interesting road trip to explore a similar theme like Steve mentioned with Old Jefferson, take a trip to Land Between the Lakes and check out the visitor center. It's a fascinating discovery of old towns and history forever buried beneath the waters of these massive lakes. It's like our own mini-version of what happened in the development of the Three Gorges dam in China where entire cities were vacated and moved to higher ground prior to the flooding. At LBTLakes, you'll notice dozens and dozens of family plot cemeteries that were moved because of the lake's approach.

One note, take a map, a GPS if available, a cell phone...my friend and I got lost in there once and thought we'd never get out. The redemption there was the discovery of large reserves of elk, bison and the occasional bald eagle sighting. The trip was well worth it.

Back to Priest for a moment. One thing we used to do was dig daffodil bulbs from the woods at Priest Lake. There were many old houses in the area that were demolised and the gardens of the country folk were in places you'd never expect to find them. No house, but interesting garden plots all over. I'm sure the area now has reverted to a natural forest state, but then, it was a trip back in time. The area surrounding the lake in the 60s was much more rural than now, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville