Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 PM

10 posts, read 22,188 times

Advertisements

All,

I'm toying with the idea of moving to Nashville, for a term of no more than 1 year, from the CT/NY area. I grew up in the North East, and basically been here all my life. I've recently be reunited with a WHOLE side of my family after 25 years, thus I'm looking to get to know them a bit more by moving within a reasonable driving distance.

My family lives in Owensboro, KY - so I figure Nashville will be the closest place where I wont freak out because there seems to be a bunch of stuff to do.

---

So keeping in mind I'm 25:

- Will Nashville be a big culture shock to me?

- For places to live I would be looking to spend no more than $1,500 a month. The current place I live in is around $4,000 a month, split with 2 other roommates. I keep seeing listings for ICON, which is around the style I'm used to - but I don't know if I want to justify spending close to 2k a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Also, our utilities are included in that 4k amount, except cable.

Are there other places like ICON that are a little bit more reasonable?

- I don't need to worry about a job, I would be telecommuting...

- Nightlife for a 25 year old in Nashville?

- Friendless/Acceptance to a transplanted Yankee?

I'll leave it at that for now! Thanks in advance to all that respond.

With regards,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
I don't know a lot about ICON so I'll leave this to other members.

My husband and I moved here a year ago from CT and are originally from NY.

I think you will love it here. People are friendly and welcome you to TN. It took us awhile to adjust to living in a new state especially since we didn't have family or friends in TN, but now that we are here, we won't be leaving.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbaker82 View Post
All,

I'm toying with the idea of moving to Nashville, for a term of no more than 1 year, from the CT/NY area. I grew up in the North East, and basically been here all my life. I've recently be reunited with a WHOLE side of my family after 25 years, thus I'm looking to get to know them a bit more by moving within a reasonable driving distance.

My family lives in Owensboro, KY - so I figure Nashville will be the closest place where I wont freak out because there seems to be a bunch of stuff to do.

---

So keeping in mind I'm 25:

- Will Nashville be a big culture shock to me?

- For places to live I would be looking to spend no more than $1,500 a month. The current place I live in is around $4,000 a month, split with 2 other roommates. I keep seeing listings for ICON, which is around the style I'm used to - but I don't know if I want to justify spending close to 2k a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Also, our utilities are included in that 4k amount, except cable.

Are there other places like ICON that are a little bit more reasonable?

- I don't need to worry about a job, I would be telecommuting...

- Nightlife for a 25 year old in Nashville?

- Friendless/Acceptance to a transplanted Yankee?

I'll leave it at that for now! Thanks in advance to all that respond.

With regards,

Patrick
Hi Patrick! I can answer some of your questions. First off, I was single and 26 when I moved here from Northern NJ. There is plenty of nightlife in the Nashville area for someone your age. That it not a worry at all. There are so many transplanted Yankees down here and transplants from all over the country. You will be warmly welcomed and will blend in just fine. You could get a really nice place in your price range. I don't have specifics on ICON though, but you could afford to live alone in a really nice place and in practically a palace with roommates. For me, it was HUGE culture shock, but it was positive not negative. I found it to be a completely different way of live that I loved. You will have to learn to speak southern LOL. It is much slower than the northeast, but not so slow that it is borning. It is all good...trust me. I hope I have answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. You can always send me a Direct Message if you want to. Best of luck to you!

Steve

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the comments so far. If anyone has any more fine grained detail on the housing portion, it would be super appreciated.

All the best,

Patrick

Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
The Icon is downtown. I think you would prefer the Hillsboro Village/ Vanderbilt area. Green Hills may also fit your bill. These other areas are all in Nashville, just a different part.
Today I had lunch in East Nashville, whic I have never been to before. It reminded me of Greenish Village in NYC. I noved here from NJ, but am orginally from LI , NY and love it.

You can go to rent.com. I'm sure you can find something in that price range.

Diane G

Old 10-17-2008, 07:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,597 times
what neighborhood was like Greenwich Village? thanks...I'll move there..!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
what neighborhood was like Greenwich Village? thanks...I'll move there..!
But, what about Lascassas?????!?! Saying to self: Shut up Steve!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
The Icon is downtown. I think you would prefer the Hillsboro Village/ Vanderbilt area. Green Hills may also fit your bill. These other areas are all in Nashville, just a different part.
Today I had lunch in East Nashville, whic I have never been to before. It reminded me of Greenish Village in NYC. I noved here from NJ, but am orginally from LI , NY and love it.

You can go to rent.com. I'm sure you can find something in that price range.

Diane G
I know the Viridian is in downtown as well. I guess I'm looking for a high rise urbanite type place. Does anyone know of any that exist outside of downtown?

I'm getting the feeling that downtown isn't that great because of the lack of conveniences in the area.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM

112 posts, read 436,858 times
The Hillsboro Village/Vanderbilt areas are your best bet. Plenty of very nice rentals available under $2K. Lots of young people around since Vanderbilt and Belmont Universities are in this area. There is a new high rise called the "Adelicia" that just went up and there are others here too like 20th and Grand or 18th and Edgehill. They may not be entirely rental buildings, but you can probably rent a condo from someone in there. Check Craigslist. This is the closest area to the nightlife that might resemble what you find in NYC. The neighborhood is very walkable with long stretches of sidewalks and there are a lot of stores and restaurants along the way.

Nashville is very different from NYC. I like living here, I feel like I have space to breathe and room to think. At the same time, I miss the excitement of NYC. But if you're only going to be here for a year, you'll be fine.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:24 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
But, what about Lascassas?????!?! Saying to self: Shut up Steve!
I was just in Lascassas. A nice place, but no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: