Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM

144 posts, read 552,298 times

Advertisements

My husband's job has posted an opening in Smryna, TN. We had been considering Nashville (my husband is convinced we are "Tennessee" people at heart). I have never heard of Smyrna. Where cities around to live other than Smyrna proper? We are a young couple. Due to the current mortgage crisis, we would be selling our current home (to my husband's company) and renting. I would like to spend 800-1100 for rent. I don't mind sq. footage (it's just us and two yorkies) but I want a nice place with some upgrades or amenities.

We want to be close to shopping, good schools (I am a teacher) and some entertainment options. How long does it take to get to Nashville from the area ? Which parts of Nashville (North, South, East, West) have the best shopping, restaurants, etc?

We have 5 days to decide whether he should apply. Not enough time to visit so we would be going sight unseen. Give me the good, bad, and the ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Smyrna is about half-way between Nashville and Murfreesboro (Murfreesboro is a city of over 100,000 and home to Middle Tennessee State University, one of the largest colleges in the state). Smyrna is home to a large Nissan plant, and was the former home of an Air Force base. Smyrna has grown in the past few years and now has most of the basic shopping needs in the immediate area (grocery stores and that sort of thing). For more upscale shopping you can go over to the Brentwood/Cool Springs area of Williamson County, or the Green Hills Mall area of Nashville. There's also Opry Mills just north of downtown Nashville, which is a large outlet type mall.

The main roads between Nashville and Smyrna are Murfreesboro Road and I-24. Both of these carry a lot of traffic during the morning and evening rush hour. If you're going into Nashville in the morning, or going to Smyrna in the afternoon, it can be slow at times. I'm not sure of the exact commuting time; that would depend a lot on exactly where you live and where you're going. A rough estimate: 30 to 45 minutes into Nashville during rush hour, 20 to 30 minutes during off-peak times (someone who lives in the area can give you a better estimate than I can).

Smyrna would be a fine place to live. It's not "fancy" but there's some nice homes and some nice people. I know quite a few people who live there and they don't have a lot of complaints other that the traffic.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I think you would like Smyrna or Murfreesboro. I live in Murfreesboro and love it! It is very convenient with excellent schools and lots of shopping and entertainment options. I would generally avoid the town of Lavergne though. It is much easier to end up in a horrible part of Lavergne than a good part, since the good parts are few and far between. Both Smyrna and Murfreesboro have what you are looking for!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I think you would like Smyrna or Murfreesboro. I live in Murfreesboro and love it! It is very convenient with excellent schools and lots of shopping and entertainment options. I would generally avoid the town of Lavergne though. It is much easier to end up in a horrible part of Lavergne than a good part, since the good parts are few and far between. Both Smyrna and Murfreesboro have what you are looking for!
I am in Murfreesboro now and am enjoying the city. We have also been in Smyrna and it is also a nice place. I am inclined to favor the West side of both cities, especially Smyrna, though it is a little more crowded due to I24. On the other hand you do not have to drive through the cities to get to I24.

Any areas in Murfreesboro you would suggest we look for homes? We prefer outside the city proper.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
I am in Murfreesboro now and am enjoying the city. We have also been in Smyrna and it is also a nice place. I am inclined to favor the West side of both cities, especially Smyrna, though it is a little more crowded due to I24. On the other hand you do not have to drive through the cities to get to I24.

Any areas in Murfreesboro you would suggest we look for homes? We prefer outside the city proper.
I would look further west in Murfreesboro or even Christaina.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
I live smack dab in between Smyrna and Murfreesboro - I have a M'boro address and utilities, but my kids attend school in Smyrna and I do the majority of my routine grocery shopping there. Been here 35 years and not planning on ever leaving. I LOVE living here!

Are you looking to rent a house or apartment/townhouse? Smyrna has few, if any, upscale apartment complexes and if you want to go that route, I'd suggest you look in M'boro. If you want to rent a home I can suggest a few developments close to the best shopping in Smyrna, but I don't know what the price ranges would be on those homes.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I live smack dab in between Smyrna and Murfreesboro - I have a M'boro address and utilities, but my kids attend school in Smyrna and I do the majority of my routine grocery shopping there. Been here 35 years and not planning on ever leaving. I LOVE living here!

Are you looking to rent a house or apartment/townhouse? Smyrna has few, if any, upscale apartment complexes and if you want to go that route, I'd suggest you look in M'boro. If you want to rent a home I can suggest a few developments close to the best shopping in Smyrna, but I don't know what the price ranges would be on those homes.
Hi Mary! Okay, I am a little confused. What else is new, right? What I do not understand, is how you can live between two towns without being in a totally different town. For example, a person who lives in Smyrna can say they live between Murfreesboro and Lavergne. But how can you live between two completely adjacent towns? Do you see what I am saying? If you live in Murfreesboro, you live in Murfreesboro and if you live in Smyrna, you live in Smyrna. There's no little town in between for you to live in. LOL. It's like saying you are sitting smack dab between the front seat and back seat of a sedan. There is no between. I know this sounds crazy, but I have seen that expression used in many real estate ads as well, but it's not like I can call the realtor and question him or her like I can you. So, can you please provide my confused mind with some clarification? Thank you so much my friend!

Steve

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Hi Mary! Okay, I am a little confused. What else is new, right? What I do not understand, is how you can live between two towns without being in a totally different town. For example, a person who lives in Smyrna can say they live between Murfreesboro and Lavergne. But how can you live between two completely adjacent towns? Do you see what I am saying? If you live in Murfreesboro, you live in Murfreesboro and if you live in Smyrna, you live in Smyrna. There's no little town in between for you to live in. LOL. It's like saying you are sitting smack dab between the front seat and back seat of a sedan. There is no between. I know this sounds crazy, but I have seen that expression used in many real estate ads as well, but it's not like I can call the realtor and question him or her like I can you. So, can you please provide my confused mind with some clarification? Thank you so much my friend!

Steve
Alright, Mr. Nit Picky. I'll be sure to use small words.

Like I said, I really am pretty much in between the 2 towns - my utilities and mailing address is Murfreesboro, and although I'm outside city limits, I AM in the Smyrna Urban Growth boundary so if at some point in the future Smyrna decides to expand and annex us, my address will change from M'boro to Smyrna and I'd have to get all new address labels even though I wouldn't have moved! The 'city' line is just down the road, about 1/4 mile down - I can look out my front door, located in Murfreesboro, and see a house that has a Smyrna address. The school zone ends 1/8 of a mile from my door as well. My kids were thisclose to attending Murfreesboro's Blackman schools instead of Stewarts Creek in Smyrna.

Most importantly, I'm exactly the same distance from the Smyrna Wal-Mart as I am the Old Fort Park Wal-Mart in Murfreesboro. Since we ALL know that Wal-Mart is the unofficial center of any town, I'm smack dab bewteen the 2! Also, I'm pretty much the same distance from Stonecrest in Smyrna and where the new hospital is going on Med.Center Pkwy, too.

I feel at home in both places mostly because I can, and do, travel to either so easily for shopping or whatever. I prefer Smyrna's Wal-Mart & Target, the Publix on 96 in Murfreesboro, the Avenue for major shopping and when it opens, the movie theater in Smyrna. I got the best of both worlds here!

MM

Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Alright, Mr. Nit Picky. I'll be sure to use small words.

Like I said, I really am pretty much in between the 2 towns - my utilities and mailing address is Murfreesboro, and although I'm outside city limits, I AM in the Smyrna Urban Growth boundary so if at some point in the future Smyrna decides to expand and annex us, my address will change from M'boro to Smyrna and I'd have to get all new address labels even though I wouldn't have moved! The 'city' line is just down the road, about 1/4 mile down - I can look out my front door, located in Murfreesboro, and see a house that has a Smyrna address. The school zone ends 1/8 of a mile from my door as well. My kids were thisclose to attending Murfreesboro's Blackman schools instead of Stewarts Creek in Smyrna.

Most importantly, I'm exactly the same distance from the Smyrna Wal-Mart as I am the Old Fort Park Wal-Mart in Murfreesboro. Since we ALL know that Wal-Mart is the unofficial center of any town, I'm smack dab bewteen the 2! Also, I'm pretty much the same distance from Stonecrest in Smyrna and where the new hospital is going on Med.Center Pkwy, too.

I feel at home in both places mostly because I can, and do, travel to either so easily for shopping or whatever. I prefer Smyrna's Wal-Mart & Target, the Publix on 96 in Murfreesboro, the Avenue for major shopping and when it opens, the movie theater in Smyrna. I got the best of both worlds here!

MM

Thank you Mary!!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Smyrna is okay I guess, its claim to fame is Nissan. I'm pretty sure that housing costs out there are alot less due to it being Rutherford County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville