Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Steve, Everytime I drove to the shore in NJ, I encountered 2 huge traffic circles. Sometimes for fear of my life I went around a few times to exit. I hate those things, but I have not seen a real threatning one here. There may be, but I have not encountered one yet, and hope not to.

Diane G
I know Diane. They were popular on Rt. 34 going in the Pt. Pleasant/Spring Lake/Belmar direction. They were AWFUL!! We had one in Clifton, NJ that they finally demolished a year after I moved. I have not seen anything that bad here either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
There are several in McKay's Mill in Franklin. Overall, there's not much traffic and they are vastly superior to stop signs or stoplights. But once you get more than 2 cars near one, prepare to act as if it is a 4 way stop, because everybody thinks it's somebody else's turn.
All I can say, is that if you encountered the traffic circles from Hell in NJ that Diane and I are talking about, you would feel much differently. From a traffic control standpoint, a stoplight is much more effective. It leaves very few people guessing, unlike a traffic circle.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
The traffic Circle in McCays Mill, a subdivision is hardly a Traffic Circle, a baby one, not one of those Jersey ones. The one Downtown by music row isn't bad either. I have been on both. The ones Steve and I are talking about are downright scary.

Now another querk in NJ is the "Jughandle" . Every time you need to make a left turn, you turn right. Sometimes its quick to a light to cross, sometimes like one on Rt 18 you drive a few blocks to make a left.
Now on Rt 18, there are a few places you actually can make a left, but if you don't know where, your in the right trying to get across, so you miss that left and drive the middle figuring you can get over either way. There are a few main routes that have this.
Confused? lol

Diane G

Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
The traffic Circle in McCays Mill, a subdivision is hardly a Traffic Circle, a baby one, not one of those Jersey ones. The one Downtown by music row isn't bad either. I have been on both. The ones Steve and I are talking about are downright scary.

Now another querk in NJ is the "Jughandle" . Every time you need to make a left turn, you turn right. Sometimes its quick to a light to cross, sometimes like one on Rt 18 you drive a few blocks to make a left.
Now on Rt 18, there are a few places you actually can make a left, but if you don't know where, your in the right trying to get across, so you miss that left and drive the middle figuring you can get over either way. There are a few main routes that have this.
Confused? lol

Diane G

I'm not confused Diane. I actually learned how to drive with those jughandles. It keeps you guessing as to what side of the road you need to be on to make your left turn. Yes, you probably lost many of the folks here.

Okay, now I know what these other people are considering to be traffic circles and they have no idea what a real one is like. I do not miss them one bit. The one on Music Row is a baby traffic circle in comparison.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I'm not confused Diane. I actually learned how to drive with those jughandles. It keeps you guessing as to what side of the road you need to be on to make your left turn. Yes, you probably lost many of the folks here.

Okay, now I know what these other people are considering to be traffic circles and they have no idea what a real one is like. I do not miss them one bit. The one on Music Row is a baby traffic circle in comparison.
I think Omaha, NE has many of those "Jughandles" on one of their main routes. I always thought it was weird to turn right, drive a bit and then turn left across the road you were just on. I guess they do that as they cannot widen the main road to make it 5 lanes (with a center turning lane), which some people here in Nashville treat as a travel lane

Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCam View Post
I think Omaha, NE has many of those "Jughandles" on one of their main routes. I always thought it was weird to turn right, drive a bit and then turn left across the road you were just on. I guess they do that as they cannot widen the main road to make it 5 lanes (with a center turning lane), which some people here in Nashville treat as a travel lane

Good point Buzz!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCam View Post
Wow, And I thought NJ was the only one!

Diane G

Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
There's a great big one in downtown Buffalo. For some reason, there are NO painted lines in it, either. (Not sure if there are in NJ's). So everyone's driving around, not exactly sure where the lanes are, not exactly sure how to get off. Plus there are busses everywhere stopping, letting people off on the side. It was HORRIBLE.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
There's a great big one in downtown Buffalo. For some reason, there are NO painted lines in it, either. (Not sure if there are in NJ's). So everyone's driving around, not exactly sure where the lanes are, not exactly sure how to get off. Plus there are busses everywhere stopping, letting people off on the side. It was HORRIBLE.
Yup. That describes the Jersey ones too.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 PM

I saw another traffic circle the other day. In the New Super Target lot in Smyrna. It was a real Baby. The ones Steve described are the ones I was talking about, plus another one on 35. NJ has some real dangerous ones. I'm glad I'll never drive them again.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville