Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM

550 posts, read 1,276,790 times

Advertisements

I may be going to grad school at MTSU. I'm not familiar with the area at all, so I have a few questions. My wife and I live in a small apartment, less than 1000 sq. ft. We would have to have something bigger than that. We don't have any kids, except for one dog.

I've heard that Murfreesboro is growing really fast and that the traffic is horrible. I really want something within walking or bike riding distance of MTSU. 1)What are the neighborhoods like this close to MTSU? 2) What can I expect to pay for a decent sized ( at least 1000 sq. ft. ) 2 BR 1 BA house or apt.?

I've lived in west TN all my life, so I'm expecting there to be some sticker shock when it comes to rental prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 52,569 times
Well I'm not sure what you consider sticker shock, since we came from Chicago and we thought the prices were great. My fiancee is a prof at MTSU and we found a two bedroom 1.5 bath townhouse at Colony House. Our rent is 740 a month. Its more than 1000 square feet. As far as pets, their policy is two pets max and there is a weight limit. If you have a large dog it not for you then, but if you have a smaller dog then look into it. My only complaint is that there isn't enough storage space, so we had to go into super organization mode. Like I said we think its great, but we are coming from a different background where our rent for a tiny one bedroom apartment was 200 dollars more a month and we didn't have things like a washer and dryer and dishwasher in unit.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,276,790 times
I have a 2 BR, 1 BA apt. in Union City TN. We pay 440 per month. We both think it's a little high for such a small place. But we decided on it because I was in a hurry to move and it is only about 100 yards away from my wife's workplace. Before the move we were living in a different town and were both driving about 30-40 miles one way, 5 or 6 days a week!

I'd really like to have a house with a yard but I'm sure that will be difficult in town. I'm really looking for a place as close to MTSU as possible but in a good neighborhood. Would this be possible for less than 600 per month?

By my standards 740 =

Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,959,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I'd really like to have a house with a yard...

I'm really looking for a place as close to MTSU as possible but in a good neighborhood.

Would this be possible for less than 600 per month?
It's possible, but not likely.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:21 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,948,333 times
I don't think it is likely either. I just looked in the classifieds. I found only one for $600 that is a private home. I sent you a DM.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,959,688 times
I think I want to change my possibly to a no.

We rented a 2/1.5 townhome just a bit over a mile from MTSU up until this past March. It was in a fairly rough area and we paid $550. They were raising it to around $600 though right around the time we moved. The single family homes 1/4 mile away, but in a nicer area rent for probably about $800/mo.

You might can find some duplex/fourplex type places near streets such as Bell, East, or Lytle that have something of a shared yard in your price range. Even then, I think it will be tough.

I live about 1.25 miles from the main entrance to MTSU in an area that has some of the cheapest single family homes in the MTSU area. We're buying, but the students up the street from us pay about $775/mo. rent + utilities. This is for a 3br/2ba, 1,050 sq. ft., single family home on less than a quarter of an acre.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I have a 2 BR, 1 BA apt. in Union City TN. We pay 440 per month.
Can I ask where that apartment is in Union City? My friend and I are looking for a place, and we aren't having a lot of luck so far. If you could PM me their phone number, I would be forever grateful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville