U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM

21 posts, read 48,555 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with McMinnville? I'd never heard of it before. I was contacted by a homeowner answering my ad for lease/with an option property; and his property is in McMinnville.

I've never heard of it, and have been doing a bit of research, but want to know more from "the locals".

Is it child friendly? Good schools? Safe? Convienient to large shopping areas? Anything else you can tell me would be great... and photos would be wonderful!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,813,084 times
There are some threads on McMinnville over on the main Tennessee forum.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 4,273,588 times
McMethville? I've heard the biggest industry over there involves aerosol cans and crushed up Sudafed tablets.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM

3,537 posts, read 5,115,208 times
McMinnville is full of plant nurserys. I think it has a reputation for being somewhat of a strange town, but I am just saying that based on what I have heard.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Pimpy and Steve are right on. Even McMinnville's own newspaper has referred to the town as McMethville.

There are lots of nurseries there, and they just spruced up their little downtown a bit. But it's still a dumpy town with lousy schools and very little industry. A huge Carrier a/c plant closed there a couple of years ago taking 2,000 jobs, and the town is still not recovered. The only shopping in town is a Wal-Mart. KMart closed last year. I think there's a small JCPenney that's still hanging in there. Blockbuster video and Ryan's steakhouse have also closed.

I'm sure the town is kid friendly, as are most towns in Tennessee. McMinnville's crime rate is a little higher than the national average.

But it's in a beautiful area and is only 35 minutes to Cookeville and 40 minutes to Murfreesboro which both have MUCH better schools and a ton more shopping.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 PM

636 posts, read 907,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Pimpy and Steve are right on. Even McMinnville's own newspaper has referred to the town as McMethville.

There are lots of nurseries there, and they just spruced up their little downtown a bit. But it's still a dumpy town with lousy schools and very little industry. A huge Carrier a/c plant closed there a couple of years ago taking 2,000 jobs, and the town is still not recovered. The only shopping in town is a Wal-Mart. KMart closed last year. I think there's a small JCPenney that's still hanging in there. Blockbuster video and Ryan's steakhouse have also closed.

I'm sure the town is kid friendly, as are most towns in Tennessee. McMinnville's crime rate is a little higher than the national average.

But it's in a beautiful area and is only 35 minutes to Cookeville and 40 minutes to Murfreesboro which both have MUCH better schools and a ton more shopping.
They also have a decent Mall in M'ville.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
They also have a decent Mall in M'ville.
The Three Star Mall? That's the only mall in McMinnville I'm aware of. Locals affectionately call it the Three Store Mall. It's where KMart used to be. JCPenney is still there, as is a small Kroger and a Goody's, Radio Shack, Dollar Tree, a shoe store, and a couple of other stores. I remember when that mall was first built, it was the nicest one around. Now it's just sad.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 48,555 times
Wow, thanks for the info... I'm dishearted at the least to hear about the sad state of the town--- I researched the schools, and wasn't impressed---though we are spoiled with the extremely good school district here ;-|

It's a shame about the town, because I received the photos of the property,and it would be absolutely perfect for my needs. Going to check out the town for myself before I totally write it off (planning a property hunt in the spring), though.

Thanks again for all the input!

I'm looking for a small house to rent (mobile home would be fine,as long as its clean and in good condition) with a large backyard (I train dogs professionally).

Good schools are a must, and I would love a family friendly neighborhood where my daughter could play with friends close by (we have to drive for playdates where we are now, and I dream of having kids on her own block to play with, as it was for me when I was growing up).

I'm looking to lease with an option to purchase. Middle TN is where I'm concentrating my search (Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, Madison, Goodlettsville, ect...) If anyone knows of such a place, or know of other areas that might be better suited, please pass on the information.

Thank you!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 AM

878 posts, read 1,615,995 times
Someone mentioned Cookeville. You might want to look there. The cost of living is one of the lowest in the state, pretty scenery, quite a few amenities (resteraunts, shopping) and the school system is much better which probably has to do with the fact Tennessee Tech is located there. So you would also have access to many amenities that a college provides a town. Plus it's only about an 1 hour and 15 minute drive to Nashville and two hours to Knoxville.

Last edited by yank283; 10-30-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,173 times
Default I have

I am from McMinnville. It is a small town.. School systems are ok.. The mall is small, but has stores like Roses, JC Pennys, Goodys, Hibbits, Claires, Radio Shack, Bookland, and maybe a few others.. (i dont shop there enough to know what all is there..) You can drive in 45 minutes either direction to reach towns with bigger shopping areas.. It depends on where you live in the county as to where the crime is.. In some places it is higher than others. There is some crime, but not much.. you can go to this site to see some of the things about the city, there is also a web cam of downtown you can access from this site.. [url=http://www.mainstreetmcminnville.org/]Main Street McMinnville[/url]

if i can help you with anything else, just ask!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville