Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,319 times

Advertisements

I am an artist in my later 20s and have interest in moving to Nashville. I am looking for a cool studio apartment. The ideal neighborhood would consist of creative people, close to natural/vegetarian food restaurants and markets, historic architecture, a friendly bar, safe, fun, close to unique little shops and perhaps a park. Any ideas on where I should begin to look?

Thanks for any suggestions. And does anyone know anything about the lofts at 160? What's around that? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:12 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,365 times
Default Need more information

Your interests sounds great and a few areas come to mind, but here's the big question: what's your price range? Are you moving with a roommate or alone?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:36 AM

I'd be living alone. My price range. Well the lower the better, obviously, but I was hoping to find something less than $700. That's why I'm choosing a studio apartment I guess.

So what are your ideas? I'd love to research them. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Beretta; 11-08-2008 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 11:18 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
You should research East Nashville, it sounds like a perfect fit for you, especially if you value being among like minded people. Plenty of vegans & artists here, plus it's still affordable.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Are there particular streets in East Nashville that I should keep in mind? Or, stay away from? I've heard that East Nashville is not exactly safe, but that it's developing. Is Five Points a good area?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 PM

149 posts, read 478,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha111 View Post
Are there particular streets in East Nashville that I should keep in mind? Or, stay away from? I've heard that East Nashville is not exactly safe, but that it's developing. Is Five Points a good area?

The 5 points area is pretty safe. However, 150 feet west and you hit main st. Main st/ Gallatin Rd is not exactly safe. It is an eye sore and the most common businesses are tobacco and beer stores. If you are new to the area I would advise you to stay away from the western part of East Nashville (Crime, Drugs). Yes, it is getting renovated. Some of the most beautiful houses in Nashville are in East Nashville. However, since they are remodeling you have a $200,000 and a crack house next to it. Their are skechy parts all over the eastern part of EN too. But, chances are, that if you avoid bad parts you will be safe. I heard they built some new apartments in EN. I saw them yesterday and they look pretty nice. You might wanna consider them.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Has anyone seen the lofts at 160? Online they look gorgeous! But I have no clue what's around them. Does anyone know anything about these? What does West End/Vanderbilt have to offer? With my description of my ideal neighborhood and what I'm looking for, would Vanderbilt area/WE be a fit?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:34 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,208,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha111 View Post
Has anyone seen the lofts at 160? Online they look gorgeous! But I have no clue what's around them. Does anyone know anything about these? What does West End/Vanderbilt have to offer? With my description of my ideal neighborhood and what I'm looking for, would Vanderbilt area/WE be a fit?
Yes, the West End/Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village area sounds like a good fit for you. It is a bit pricey however. You might also extends your search to include Green Hills.

I don't know anything about the lofts at 160, other than seeing them from the outside and knowing the developer and the architects. It would be a good fit if you like a little more "active" environment. I'd be surprised if even a studio loft would be in your budget range, but I don't know that for sure. Tuck Hinton was the architects for 160, and they usually do a good job of making something unique and special. They often win awards for their designs.

There is possibly a couple of drawbacks to the downtown area. One is the Second Avenue area can be a bit noisy on up into the night. The second is that downtown living is just making a comeback in Nashville; therefore it might not have all the amenities you would like (limited places to buy the basic day-to-day things such as groceries). It's keeping better all the time, but it a factor you might need to consider.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 AM

Thank you everyone, you've been very helpful. I will be checking back if anyone has anything else to add. :-)

Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
Yes, Five Points is a great area. Some streets are more transitional than others but if you would come & visit I'm sure you'd love it. To say East Nashville as a whole "is not exactly safe" is misleading, it's home to thousands of people that love it & only want to see it continue to improve. Here is a link to our community bulletin board, there are postings regularly about roommates or rentals: www.groups.google.com search East Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville