Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Nashville: restaurant management companies, job market, medical field jobs, sales.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,544 times

Advertisements

I am 30 years old and have primarily worked in the restaurant management field during the course of my life. I have experience running a multi-million dollar business, however I do not possess a degree. I am wondering what else is out there for someone like myself. I would love to find employment with a salary of at least 33K+. I understand that health care is the primary source of economy in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Well, medical is certainly a major segment of the economy here, but I don't think I would call it "the primary source." Some other major employers in the Greater Nashville area include education, state government, tourism and hospitality (hotels), automotive (the headquarters of Nissan NA is here; Nissan and Saturn both have large plants here), the music business, construction, warehousing and shipping (Nashville is centrally located relative to the eastern US), financial, and a number of smaller industries.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Well, medical is certainly a major segment of the economy here, but I don't think I would call it "the primary source." Some other major employers in the Greater Nashville area include education, state government, tourism and hospitality (hotels), automotive (the headquarters of Nissan NA is here; Nissan and Saturn both have large plants here), the music business, construction, warehousing and shipping (Nashville is centrally located relative to the eastern US), financial, and a number of smaller industries.
I appreciate your reply. Here is a bit of information that I gathered from Wikipedia.

Although Nashville is renowned as a music recording center and tourist destination, its largest industry is actually health care. Nashville is home to more than 250 health care companies, including Hospital Corporation of America, the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. As of 2006, it is estimated that the health care industry contributes $18.3 billion per year and 94,000 jobs to the Nashville-area economy.

It also states that automotive would be a close second with Nissan being located in Smyrna. However with the way the economy is going today, I would almost assume getting a job in a secured industry would be more of a safe fit. I am just leery on the automotive, transport, and shipping industries at this time.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleshot View Post
I appreciate your reply. Here is a bit of information that I gathered from Wikipedia.

Although Nashville is renowned as a music recording center and tourist destination, its largest industry is actually health care. Nashville is home to more than 250 health care companies, including Hospital Corporation of America, the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. As of 2006, it is estimated that the health care industry contributes $18.3 billion per year and 94,000 jobs to the Nashville-area economy.

It also states that automotive would be a close second with Nissan being located in Smyrna. However with the way the economy is going today, I would almost assume getting a job in a secured industry would be more of a safe fit. I am just leery on the automotive, transport, and shipping industries at this time.
PLEASE do not use Wikipedia as your only source of info. Anyone can write anything on there. While occasionally untruths get deleted, they still remain up on that web site until someone points out the errors.

Just because health care is the largest industry, that doesn't mean it's the primary industry. It could be 20% of the economy, but that's far from being dominant. The Nashville economy is VERY diverse so that no one industry dominates the local economy.

But I will say that it is very difficult to get a job that pays well and that doesn't require a college degree. The hospitality industry (restaurants, hotels) is an exception. I think the chances of finding a job in Nashville that pays $33k and that doesn't require a college degree are pretty slim unless you stick with restaurant management or become a cop.

I highly suggest checking out an employment agency and seeing what they say. If you have good typing and computer skills, that would greatly enhance your chances of finding a decent job.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,017 times
Sales positions, even some with great base pays, often do not require degrees. With your salary requirement, I do not think it would be hard to find a sales position that paid that, but it would also give you the potential to earn more depending on your sales. Just don't tell anyone that you need to make that amount. Just an example...when I read your post about having run a multi-million dollar company and having been in restaurant management for a number of years, I would have thought your salary requirement would have been higher. It just sounded impressive. I'm not saying you should be misleading or try to go outside what you're capable or should earn, but don't limit yourself by stating your salary requirements up front. I know you're trying to get advice from people on here, which is good, but who knows...there may be people with hiring potential reading your posts...so make sure you don't sell yourself too short!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:35 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
Sales positions, even some with great base pays, often do not require degrees. With your salary requirement, I do not think it would be hard to find a sales position that paid that, but it would also give you the potential to earn more depending on your sales. Just don't tell anyone that you need to make that amount. Just an example...when I read your post about having run a multi-million dollar company and having been in restaurant management for a number of years, I would have thought your salary requirement would have been higher. It just sounded impressive. I'm not saying you should be misleading or try to go outside what you're capable or should earn, but don't limit yourself by stating your salary requirements up front. I know you're trying to get advice from people on here, which is good, but who knows...there may be people with hiring potential reading your posts...so make sure you don't sell yourself too short!
This is great advice. Sales is definitely the best way to earn big money if you don't have the resume to land a cushy job with a big salary. Most "account executive" positions around here have a base pay of around $30K or more, plus commission, so you shouldn't have any problems earning at the level you stated. Many job postings of this nature will state "degree preferred," but if you come off in an interview like someone who can sit across the table and close a deal, they will NOT care what kind of letters you have after your name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: