U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

177 posts, read 410,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
crime stats point out that antioch is worst than compton
ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS!!!???

Have you been to Compton? Did it ever occur to you that those stats from LA are being tampered with so the area can be redeveloped? That's how the game is played in "real" major cities.

Naliah, my wife is from Antioch and is blown away every time she reads this stuff. I think you nailed it in your Orig Post. Nashville is experiencing some true growth. It's culture shock for a lot of people. The area no longer looks like it once did. Thus, people are leaving. When the "money-makers" leave, of course the area is going to run down. And then the lawmakers and council members give the money and attention to the areas where the money-makers live. So in turn, Antioch begins to run down, catch a bad rap, etc. Amazing... this person compares Antioch to Compton. Probably never been to Compton. I can assure you that everything that goes on there isn't reported. Just like in Brentwood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM

150 posts, read 290,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS!!!???

Have you been to Compton? Did it ever occur to you that those stats from LA are being tampered with so the area can be redeveloped? That's how the game is played in "real" major cities.

Naliah, my wife is from Antioch and is blown away every time she reads this stuff. I think you nailed it in your Orig Post. Nashville is experiencing some true growth. It's culture shock for a lot of people. The area no longer looks like it once did. Thus, people are leaving. When the "money-makers" leave, of course the area is going to run down. And then the lawmakers and council members give the money and attention to the areas where the money-makers live. So in turn, Antioch begins to run down, catch a bad rap, etc. Amazing... this person compares Antioch to Compton. Probably never been to Compton. I can assure you that everything that goes on there isn't reported. Just like in Brentwood...

I have been to Compton. I thought it was totally overrated. People think bloods and crips and get scared. They are dangerous street gangs, but they are not just going to walk up and shoot you in the face because their bloods and crips. No. They are people too. Sure, they shoot each other. But, unless you are in a gang, you should not have to worry about people attacking you.

Unread 01-29-2009, 10:01 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,904,569 times
FWIW, I finally found a nail salon that doesn't use a drill and uses Tammy Taylor products. It happens to have a branch in Antioch in the same building as a barber shop. Everyone there was very nice. The area did have that run down look to it...but compared to other cities...it didn't look at that bad. The good areas of dowtown/midtown Memphis look worse.

Unread 01-30-2009, 08:35 AM

140 posts, read 397,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
I have been to Compton. I thought it was totally overrated. People think bloods and crips and get scared. They are dangerous street gangs, but they are not just going to walk up and shoot you in the face because their bloods and crips. No. They are people too. Sure, they shoot each other. But, unless you are in a gang, you should not have to worry about people attacking you.
Bingo. And this is true of nearly all high-crime urban areas (including those around Nashville).

Unread 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM

12 posts, read 18,261 times
Default How Bad is Antioch?

I will be moving to the Nashville area in August/September. I have read through multiple forums and I haven't seen many threads about Antioch (being unsafe) as well as Lavergne. How bad are these areas?

Also, I have been looking at townhomes in Antioch, I believe they are called Nashboro Village (they are located on a golf course). Is anyone familiar with this area and any safety issues?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks.

Unread 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM

2,301 posts, read 3,787,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithca2 View Post
I will be moving to the Nashville area in August/September. I have read through multiple forums and I haven't seen many threads about Antioch (being unsafe) as well as Lavergne. How bad are these areas?

Also, I have been looking at townhomes in Antioch, I believe they are called Nashboro Village (they are located on a golf course). Is anyone familiar with this area and any safety issues?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks.
Stay away from all of those areas. Antioch, for the most part, is bad news. There are isolated pockets that are decent, such as the area way out Hobson Pike toward Mount Juliet and deep into Cane Ridge, but the vast majority of the 37013 zip is a crime-ridden cesspool.

Nashboro Village is not technically in Antioch, but whatever, it doesn't matter - the neighborhood is trouble. Don't be fooled by the golf course. There are some nice townhomes in Nashboro Village, but the majority of it is apartments, many of which have been converted into Section 8. It was a decent area years and years ago, but you can do much better now.

LaVergne is the most tenable of the three areas you mentioned, but it has gotten too much riff-raff spillover from Antioch over the last several years to be a viable option. It is also further out from town and has no real redeeming qualities.

My advice is to refocus your search to the Donelson/Hermitage area and Bellevue, depending on where your job will be located. One is east of town and one is west. They are both safe and affordable areas and my guess is you will be much happier there than in Antioch.

Unread 03-27-2009, 05:19 PM

3,381 posts, read 2,453,242 times
My son had college friends who lived in Antioch and it was so bad they didn't even stay until the lease ran out. Their parents paid off the lease after the third set of slashed tires. I don't remember what street they lived on, but the entire area seemed to be a haven for drug deals.

Unread 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 18,261 times
Thanks for all the information. I will definately look at other areas and options.

Unread 03-29-2009, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 15,995 times
My parents live in Nashboro and it is declining rapidly. Used to be the place to live 20 years ago. Property values have tanked in recent years also.

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:45 AM

23 posts, read 45,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankeyis View Post
My parents live in Nashboro and it is declining rapidly. Used to be the place to live 20 years ago. Property values have tanked in recent years also.

Wow, that's so sad. I lived in that area (near Priest Lake) in the early '80s. What a nice place it was. Been in Phoenix for 22 years and have only been back to Nashville twice. Just overnighters though. I guess that's what happens to growing cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville