Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
To call Antioch a ghetto, yet include Hermitage, Smyrna, Franklin and Brentwood in the same sentence is quite odd.

Hickory Hollow is bad, as are some other stretches of Antioch...but to paint the whole area with a broad brush is downright ignorant and uniformed. There are certainly areas of Antioch I would live in over certain areas of Hermitage and Smyrna. Heck, there are even small pockets of Franklin that are trashy and ghettoish.

In my experience, people who make statements like yours have only driven through a small section of a place, and make a broad judgment off of a small portion that they have seen.

Antioch is more ghetto trash than the other areas that I mentioned. If you don't know that, then you must not have lived there very long. Like I said, I used to love living there, heck I grew up there. But the majority has gone down hill fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
Antioch is more ghetto trash than the other areas that I mentioned. If you don't know that, then you must not have lived there very long. Like I said, I used to love living there, heck I grew up there. But the majority has gone down hill fast.
Depending on what you consider Antioch, there are a lot of areas to avoid. The major streets (Nolensville Rd, Bell Rd, Murfreesboro Rd, Antioch Pk, Harding Pl) tend to lend to the ghetto image.

South Antioch is still more nice than not. A lot of new homes have been built there, and a lot of areas are relatively safe. The closer you are to downtown, and the closer you are to the major roadways, the more run down the area looks.

Hermitage and Smyrna are better overall, but there are bad parts to be had in both.

One of the problems that plagues Antioch is that the general area that it covers probably has 150,000 people. A lot of people include Woodbine, Cane Ridge, the "Brentioch" area and the J. Percy Priest area as "Antioch" in general. Heck, I've heard people refer to the entire SE quadrant of town as "Antioch."

There is a lot of diversity, not just demographically, but socioeconomically, to be had in the Antioch region. To simply label it as a ghetto is flat out wrong.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,065 times
Quote:
Depending on what you consider Antioch, there are a lot of areas to avoid. The major streets (Nolensville Rd, Bell Rd, Murfreesboro Rd, Antioch Pk, Harding Pl) tend to lend to the ghetto image.

South Antioch is still more nice than not. A lot of new homes have been built there, and a lot of areas are relatively safe. The closer you are to downtown, and the closer you are to the major roadways, the more run down the area looks.

Hermitage and Smyrna are better overall, but there are bad parts to be had in both.

One of the problems that plagues Antioch is that the general area that it covers probably has 150,000 people. A lot of people include Woodbine, Cane Ridge, the "Brentioch" area and the J. Percy Priest area as "Antioch" in general. Heck, I've heard people refer to the entire SE quadrant of town as "Antioch."

There is a lot of diversity, not just demographically, but socioeconomically, to be had in the Antioch region. To simply label it as a ghetto is flat out wrong.
Exactally, people are starting to consider everything south east of downtown Nashville Antioch, when if fact Antioch does not even start on I-24 until after Haywood lane and on Murfreesboro rd. past Una Antioch Pk. the only part of Nolensville rd that is considered Antioch is way out past Lenox Village, and Lenox Village sits right on the line of Antioch and Brentwood. None of Harding place is Antioch. People consider Antioch "Ghetto" because of its diversity. Considering the size of Antioch, population and land, and it is much larger than other areas, and in my opinion a lot more kept up than other areas such as Madison and portions of Hermitage, Smryna, Franklin and even parts of Murfreesboro. There are even works in progress of making Hickory Hollow over, which actually looks good on the inside. The is even a new womens work out facility located in the mall, and a young girls mentoring program as well as a boys choir that will be starting soon, meeting in the mall, so if Antioch were so "ghetto" why would people trust to have things for women and children in the area? If it were so ghetto why would Lake Shore Christian church, a majority white church, build right on the corner of Bell rd near the mall? But again, people are just ignorant when it comes to diversity. People just feel a little threatned when a person of another race other than White has just as much education and income as they do and they be come labeled "Ghetto".

Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Exactally, people are starting to consider everything south east of downtown Nashville Antioch, when if fact Antioch does not even start on I-24 until after Haywood lane and on Murfreesboro rd. past Una Antioch Pk. the only part of Nolensville rd that is considered Antioch is way out past Lenox Village, and Lenox Village sits right on the line of Antioch and Brentwood. None of Harding place is Antioch. People consider Antioch "Ghetto" because of its diversity. Considering the size of Antioch, population and land, and it is much larger than other areas, and in my opinion a lot more kept up than other areas such as Madison and portions of Hermitage, Smryna, Franklin and even parts of Murfreesboro. There are even works in progress of making Hickory Hollow over, which actually looks good on the inside. The is even a new womens work out facility located in the mall, and a young girls mentoring program as well as a boys choir that will be starting soon, meeting in the mall, so if Antioch were so "ghetto" why would people trust to have things for women and children in the area? If it were so ghetto why would Lake Shore Christian church, a majority white church, build right on the corner of Bell rd near the mall? But again, people are just ignorant when it comes to diversity. People just feel a little threatned when a person of another race other than White has just as much education and income as they do and they be come labeled "Ghetto".
I'm just tired of people making blanket statements about a whole community.

I hear people call East Nashville an unlivable ghetto all the time. Sure, there are nasty parts of East Nashville with projects, gangs, and violence...but there are also some beautiful historic areas quiet streets, and good places to live where you won't have problems.

The same can be said for West Nashville and Sylvan Park, even Madison and parts of the north side.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I'm just tired of people making blanket statements about a whole community.

I hear people call East Nashville an unlivable ghetto all the time. Sure, there are nasty parts of East Nashville with projects, gangs, and violence...but there are also some beautiful historic areas quiet streets, and good places to live where you won't have problems.

The same can be said for West Nashville and Sylvan Park, even Madison and parts of the north side.
I am too... It just always seem like when the area has more diversity people seem to think it is so bad and want to make blanket statements about the entire area... However, Nashville claims to be such a friendly city.....

Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,167 times
I am new to this site and I might be posting this in the wrong place but if anyone can give me advice on the following: how safe is the Cambridge Forest area of Antioch? Does anyone have any info on this area? Is there lots of crime? Is it near a high school? On the map it appears that Oak Barrel Lane is to the North, Mboro Road/Pike is to the East and Una Antioch Pike is to the West. The area also seems to be north of Bell Road and Hickory Hollow Mall areas....any suggestionsplease? We have 2 toddlers and commute into downtown Nashville for work. We currently rent in Mboro but the commute is too long. We are looking to rent a HOME, not an apartment.

Any advice you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichDay View Post
I am new to this site and I might be posting this in the wrong place but if anyone can give me advice on the following: how safe is the Cambridge Forest area of Antioch? Does anyone have any info on this area? Is there lots of crime? Is it near a high school? On the map it appears that Oak Barrel Lane is to the North, Mboro Road/Pike is to the East and Una Antioch Pike is to the West. The area also seems to be north of Bell Road and Hickory Hollow Mall areas....any suggestionsplease? We have 2 toddlers and commute into downtown Nashville for work. We currently rent in Mboro but the commute is too long. We are looking to rent a HOME, not an apartment.

Any advice you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
It is a good area, actually just a subdivision located on Rural Hill Rd. I is about 7 to 10 mins from both Antioch and Cane Ridge High Schools. It is in the Antioch school zone, but it will be in the Cane Ridge zone the year after next. It will also be zoned to a elementary school that is in the plans of being opened with in the next few years. The area is safe. The only thing you would have to worry about is when it snows Rural Hill rd gets bad and often times takes a while to clear because it is actually a rural type road that is curvy and hilly with lots of large trees along it.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 11,271 times
OMG, do yourself a favor and stay out of Antioch. I moved here in 1983, it was a nice town, good schools. The in the 1990's growth exploded and the city annexed new subdivisions. The economy crashed and the place became a foreclosure jungle. Tons of Section 8 trash from Oakland and Richmond moved in. The stunk up the town with heir filthy ghetto ways. The schools are garbage. If you can afford it go to Walnut Creek, Danville, Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette. Concord is a dump too, Clayton is OK but they attend Concord high schools.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettenhund54 View Post
OMG, do yourself a favor and stay out of Antioch. I moved here in 1983, it was a nice town, good schools. The in the 1990's growth exploded and the city annexed new subdivisions. The economy crashed and the place became a foreclosure jungle. Tons of Section 8 trash from Oakland and Richmond moved in. The stunk up the town with heir filthy ghetto ways. The schools are garbage. If you can afford it go to Walnut Creek, Danville, Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette. Concord is a dump too, Clayton is OK but they attend Concord high schools.
Um...we're talking about Antioch, Tennessee, a neighborhood in Southeast Nashville.

*cues Twilight Zone theme*

Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Um...we're talking about Antioch, Tennessee, a neighborhood in Southeast Nashville.

*cues Twilight Zone theme*
LOL.....I was reading the towns that person had listed and I was totally confused. Too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville