Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM

22 posts, read 90,271 times

Advertisements

We've been contemplating Tennessee and are leaning more towards the East side of the state due to seemingly more abundant outdoor recreation and the agricultural/farmer's market opportunities. However, there's better job opportunities in Nashville. So my question is, does the Nashville area have a good amount of outdoor recreation; hiking, horseback riding, etc. within relatively close distances? AND is there farmer's markets in the surrounding areas? I'd love to grow and sell my own produce and want to know what the market is for that. We do plan on living in the outskirts of Nashville if we make the move.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Nashville itself has a large and busy Farmer's Market. There are smaller markets all around town and in the surrounding counties, especially during the summer months. For example, out in my area in west Nashville, every Friday there is a "truck bed market" at St. Henry's Church.

There are all sorts of outdoor activities: hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, horseback riding, canoeing, etc. Except possibly for hunting, I don't hear a lot of complaints about not being able to find activities such as these.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
There's also an East Nashville Farmers Market that specializes in locally grown/organic produce/meats/eggs/cheeses if your ever near the city.

East Nashville Farmer's Market

Old 12-07-2008, 06:24 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I gotta say also there are many markets in and around nashville. As well as vendors that sit beside the road or at intersections. Some have did this for 20 to 45 years.
As for hunting and fishing. The rivers and lakes have many species of fish. The hunting is another story. Public land is hard to hunt as many people will be there. Leases and begging landowners are the way. Or if your really lucky, you'll have someone you meet take you to some of their "good spots".

Old 12-13-2008, 06:46 PM

187 posts, read 623,474 times
Nashville is blessed with lots of local restaurants who also buy local produce so you could also connect with a few of those. As far as outdoors, the mountains may not be as big as the Appalacian but we do have many great parks where I love to hike and see outdoors, specifically Radnor Lake and the two Warner Parks. We are near the Harpeth River where there is canoe rentals but if you do river kayaking, we have lots of bodies of water including yacht clubs and sailing clubs and schools. Plenty of fishing and within a 30 minute drive you can find available hunting areas too. Nasvhille has everything but a beach

Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 AM

25 posts, read 77,439 times
I moved to Nashville from East Tennessee and find its local outdoor activities to be just as good and convenient. If you're looking for hiking, Percy Warner Park has great hiking and its literally IN the Nashville city limits. You'll find tons of water option recreation on Old Hickory Lake, as well as on nearby Center Hill Lake. River rafting and canoeing excursions are within 30 minutes on the Harpeth. If you're looking for large, open green spaces, Scottsboro/Bells Bend (again IN Nashville city limits) offers acres and miles of recreation space. Radnor Lake is one of Nashville's best kept secrets with tons of hiking trails. Metro Parks are amazingly impressive, with Shelby Bottoms and Shelby Park on the east side. The Greenway system is connecting quite nicely throughout Nashville, also. We also have several dog parks.

Horseback riding can be found in several areas in or near Nashville including Whites Creek, Leiper's Fork and Shelbyville. Come on over!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville