Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,531 times

Advertisements

I have found several homes I like in this area. Is it a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM

317 posts, read 1,226,427 times
It is a neighborhood that has drawn some interest from folks, but safety is always something you must determine for yourself. Check out the crime maps here that are updated in 30 day increments:

Metro Nashville Interactive Crime Maps

In addition, another thing I would recommend in determining how you feel about any neighborhood is to drive the area during the day and at night, talk to potential neighbors and ask how they feel about the area, and call the local police department to ask about crime patterns in the area.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:36 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,004,224 times
I don't consider that to be a safe area. It seems like every day you hear about another shooting, stabbing, or armed robbery in East Nashville. Cheerleaders for that area will tell you that there are good parts of East Nashville and that it is the bad parts that give the whole area a bad name. That may be, but those "good parts" are WAY too close to the bad parts and too few and far between for EN to be considered a safe and/or desirable area overall.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,531 times
Thank you for the information.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

933 posts, read 2,731,639 times
Pros - Very close to downtown. Old stock - pre-war houses. Almost guaranteed rapid house appreciation (make sure to get a deal). Main Street that borders the east side of the neighborhood is in the begining stages of a revitilization phase. Close to Five Points (locally owned bars restaurants/galleries/stores).

Cons - Probably more crime (mostly petty theft) than neighborhoods on the east side of Main Street/Gallatin Road). While Main Street is revitilizing it's still the location of a lot of foot traffic loitering.

If you do not already live in Nashville I would probably rent somewhere else for at least 6 months and research - unless you have already lived in an urban core type neighborhood and/or you have friends that live on the eastside already. Most of the incidents that Pimpy is speaking of is between acquaintances and happen in Cayce Public Housing or apt complexes that are a haven for section 8 like Riverchase and Litton Apts (most are law abiding citizens but there's always exceptions). Do you need to be a little more aware of your surroundings than walking into an O'Charleys in Hendersonville? Sure. There are active neighborhood associations working to decrease crime with the East Precict and it's working.

"Crime continues to decrease"
Crime continues to decrease | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

You also don't have the insane traffic, the inflated home prices (see Willamson Co., home of the states highest number of foreclosures) and plethera of sprawl and chain restaurants you find in same suburbs throughout the US (with no rhyme or reason or planning on how they were built like supernerd girl said on another post). There's a unique sense of community over here that I never found in other areas of Nashville (not that they don't exist but I never saw anything close to it like it is over here). I wouldn't live anywhere else in Nashville.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,141,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Pros - Very close to downtown. Old stock - pre-war houses. Almost guaranteed rapid house appreciation (make sure to get a deal). Main Street that borders the east side of the neighborhood is in the begining stages of a revitilization phase. Close to Five Points (locally owned bars restaurants/galleries/stores).

Cons - Probably more crime (mostly petty theft) than neighborhoods on the east side of Main Street/Gallatin Road). While Main Street is revitilizing it's still the location of a lot of foot traffic loitering.

If you do not already live in Nashville I would probably rent somewhere else for at least 6 months and research - unless you have already lived in an urban core type neighborhood and/or you have friends that live on the eastside already. Most of the incidents that Pimpy is speaking of is between acquaintances and happen in Cayce Public Housing or apt complexes that are a haven for section 8 like Riverchase and Litton Apts (most are law abiding citizens but there's always exceptions). Do you need to be a little more aware of your surroundings than walking into an O'Charleys in Hendersonville? Sure. There are active neighborhood associations working to decrease crime with the East Precict and it's working.

You also don't have the insane traffic, the inflated home prices (see Willamson Co., home of the states highest number of foreclosures) and plethera of sprawl and chain restaurants you find in same suburbs throughout the US (with no rhyme or reason or planning on how they were built like supernerd girl said on another post). There's a unique sense of community over here that I never found in other areas of Nashville (not that they don't exist but I never saw anything close to it like it is over here). I wouldn't live anywhere else in Nashville.
Yank, do you have a source for the highlighted statement above about foreclosures and Williamson County? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Yank, do you have a source for the highlighted statement above about foreclosures and Williamson County? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks.
Okay it led the eight counties surrounding Davidson County. I had originally viewed this when it aired on channel 5, weeks ago. I'll check my facts before I post next time.

Foreclosures Climb In Wealthy County

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Foreclosures Climb In Wealthy County

Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,949,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post

I love the older neighborhoods in Nashville. They are so full of character and charm. You don't see that everywhere. I have often thought about one day moving there. Great informational post Yank!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks Kim your very kind. I love the boro also, we get a lot of MTSU music school transplants on this side of the river.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 PM

149 posts, read 476,529 times
lol main st has bars on like all of the windows and drunks like to hang out there even during daylight hours everyday there are crime there

not to mention that some one was murdered there and got his car jacked recently lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville