Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM

25 posts, read 52,993 times

Advertisements

We are moving in Feb. or March. I have a Nashville map and am marking areas that we will be visiting on a regular basis to help us decide on where to buy a house. What I need help on is suggestions for some activities that I know my kids will want to be involved in, so that I can mark those on our map before we visit and start looking at houses. I have already marked my husbands work which is right downtown.
So if you have a suggestion for one of the following please let me know:
*Gymnastics studio for my 10 year old
*Good soccer league - my 10 year old says she can't live without soccer
*An All City Type Children's Choir- my 12 year old can't live without this
*Unitarian Universalit church or some other very liberal church
*Non religious homeschool groups

Also, since we homeschool we visit museums quite often - are most of the museums in the downtown area? That seems to be the case with all the other larger cities that we have lived in.

Thanks so much for your responses. I can't wait to move from Wyoming - I am so tired of the bitterly cold 8 month winters.
Tam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,129,415 times
There are soccer leagues all over. You shouldn't have a problem finding one for your daughter no matter where you live in the greater Nashville area.

The main Unitarian Universalist Church that I know of is the one on Woodmont Blvd. in the Green Hills area.

For children's choir, I know that the Blair School of Music and Belmont has children's choirs, but I don't know much about them. There is also a "free for all" type music "school" here (the name of it is right on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it at the moment); it's primarily for kids who might not otherwise get a chance to be involved with music. I don't know if anyone and everyone can sign up as well.

For museums, there's the state museum downtown (worth a visit, but probably not one you will want to visit over and over); the Frist Center for the Visual Arts (which also has a "kids' art place") on West End Avenue close to downtown; and the Adventure Science Center (near the Fort Negley area). By the way, you might want to make a visit to Fort Negley anyway; there are some great views of downtown from there.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:07 PM

I can't edit my post above (the forum imposes a time limit for editing posts), but wanted to list some other places you might want to take the kids because of their historical or educational value:

Bicentennial Mall
The Hermitage (home of Andrew Jackson)
Belle Meade Plantation
Centennial Park
The Ryman Auditorium
The Country Music Hall of Fame (even if you're not a country music fan)
Carnton Plantation (in Franklin)
Cheekwood

Old 12-28-2008, 04:28 PM

338 posts, read 318,753 times
Ellington Agricultural Center
Warner Park
Nashville Public Library has wonderful children's programs

Old 12-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Radnor Lake
A drive down the Natchez Trace Parkway
Tennessee Central Railroad Museum
Lane Motor Museum

Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 PM

25 posts, read 52,993 times
Default library

Oh I can't believe that I forgot to list a good library as something I am looking for. On average we spend a couple of days a week there. What is the best library in the area?
Thanks for suggestions so far,
Tam

Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Nashville has a very good public library system. There are probably twenty branch libraries all around town, and the main library building downtown. The downtown library is well worth a visit. They often have children's programs there.

Nashville Public Library

Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM

338 posts, read 318,753 times
Some of the library branches offer weekly storytime for preschoolers. During the summer months they have a "Summer Reading Program" in which some of the branches offer programs for school age children as well. You may also want to check with the YMCA. They may have programs available for homeschoolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville