Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times

Advertisements

If you are an education major have you thought about substitutung.Granted, it is not a career, but it could get you over the rough spot until the economy turns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,837,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
If you are an education major have you thought about substitutung.Granted, it is not a career, but it could get you over the rough spot until the economy turns.
I haven't taken 1 class yet, classes start in January...

Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM

35 posts, read 93,224 times
A number of Wal-Mart's in the area are hiring. Just a suggestion!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,837,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabang View Post
A number of Wal-Mart's in the area are hiring. Just a suggestion!
applied there too, as well as the opryland hotel... atleast they replied saying and I quote " While your resume is impressive, We have found someone more qualified for the position " and that was for a dishwasher... lol

Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM

290 posts, read 1,049,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
applied there too, as well as the opryland hotel... atleast they replied saying and I quote " While your resume is impressive, We have found someone more qualified for the position " and that was for a dishwasher... lol
Are they still using that response?

I applied several times, during the 80's, for positions at The Nashville Network, which at the time was owned by Gaylord, and all 5 times I applied, and the three interviews I went on, I always got rejection letters which had your quote above word for word.

One time they had me applying for the wrong position, so I called their personnel office to correct the position applied for. A few days later, I got another rejection letter, word for word which was the same letter I received earlier, but with the correct position I was rejected for because "they found someone more qualified for the position."

Some things never change

Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times
How old are you? Sad to say, but that mayor may not be your problem. Even if you haven't taken a class yet, you could still be a sub teacher. Systems provide short training. For someone young, not too long out of high school I would recommend lower grader. You stated you had worked in your families contruction company. Many Tennessee systems will hire you to teach vocational classes (like home construction) while you are working on a degree.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,390,701 times
Sorry to be negative, but if you can't find work in a place like Nashville I seriously question how hard you're looking, especially when I hear you say you passed on a potential job with a major company like UPS because they'll work you too hard.

Sounds to me like you need to adjust your outlook and career path. Look at the skill areas most in demand and train in them, rather than wasting another 4 to 5 years in school for something that may not even make you marketable. Healthcare and computers being a couple I would suggest.

Tough times call for adaptation and adjustment, especially for someone with a family to support.

As for going to Houston, I lived there for 7 years and thought it was a rat hole. I would never pick a place like that over a nice town like Nashville.

Think on these things, my friend.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM

121 posts, read 447,125 times
If your applying for jobs like a dishwasher, you may be overqualified particularly if you include a resume. When you get rejection letters stating that they found a candidate that is qualified for the position, this may mean that you are overqualified.

McDonalds is not going to hire someone with a degree or who is in college to work in the drive thru.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 AM

290 posts, read 1,049,612 times
All my rejection letters from The Nashville Network always stated "more qualified". I think TNN may of promoted from within the company, which is a good thing, and in that case, yes that candidate would be more qualified than me. I still hate to see there is no more Nashville Network though. I'd still be out there applying for a job

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM

35 posts, read 93,224 times
TNRyan, my boyfriend started a job doing some sort of telemarketing/sales in which everything was great until they failed to mention the hours of 10AM-7PM. It just didn't fit with his class schedule. Maybe yours though? If so, I could get the name and number of the company for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville