Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times

Advertisements

EN kind of scares me as far as real estate. You really need to know the area well or you could end up in a not so desirable area. EN is still classified as "up and coming", which is realtor code for bad. There are good areas, you just need to know where they are. That's where a knowledgeable realtor comes in handy. We looked at houses under $160k in EN. You really need to be into old houses. We're not. Even the renovated houses had that old musty smell and evident mold problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM

256 posts, read 605,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
I was going to suggest downtown Franklin but I don't know any other areas yet. There are condos in the higher 200's I know.
Thank you. That is exactly what I've decided on...pending I can get a job in the area...and sell my current house...and...and...

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
You're most welcome David! We moved to Franklin in July of 08 and have been delighted! Just this weekend we started making plans for more permanent housing...so we could be here for a long time and I'm fine with that!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,838 times
To David the OP, I'm sure you wouldn't buy without visiting & plenty of research but Downtown Franklin?? Really?? I don't have anything against it but it's not at all what comes to mind for a self sustaining neighborhood near downtown & in the heart of a city with lots of entertainment. I knew for sure you'd go with Hillsboro Village or The Gulch.

Oh & Ross, sorry you had a bad experience with musty old houses in EN, that's certainly not what I ended up with. In fact the home inspector said it was the best job he'd ever seen & it would have been easier for the person flipping the house to bulldoze it than preserve it. I'm glad they preserved it, it looks like a little doll house.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
To David the OP, I'm sure you wouldn't buy without visiting & plenty of research but Downtown Franklin?? Really?? I don't have anything against it but it's not at all what comes to mind for a self sustaining neighborhood near downtown & in the heart of a city with lots of entertainment. I knew for sure you'd go with Hillsboro Village or The Gulch.

Oh & Ross, sorry you had a bad experience with musty old houses in EN, that's certainly not what I ended up with. In fact the home inspector said it was the best job he'd ever seen & it would have been easier for the person flipping the house to bulldoze it than preserve it. I'm glad they preserved it, it looks like a little doll house.
Yeah, a big second on that. You also have the "beautiful" surrounding sprawling Cool Springs area which is a hodgepodge of seemingly endless suburban strip malls plopped down randomly without any thought of planning or engineering. It is the antithesis of self sustaining (but has about any chain store you would want to patronize, but you won't be walking). Hillsboro Village would be my recomendation as well if your worried abou crime and can afford it.

Last edited by yank283; 01-04-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:

No, you are ABSOLUTELY right. I would NEVER buy in any area without looking all over first. I'm far too particular for that. My decisive comment was overstated. But, my wish list was also a bit overstated.
I am semi-familiar with Nashville already. I have seen downtown Franklin and do find it extremely charming. If I were to move there, I would want to BE downtown (and from what I have learned here -- there may be condos in my price range).
Hillsboro Village did not look very...attractive to me, BUT I could not find many pictures and certainly could not find what the houses looked like in that area. There is a website for HV, but it looks to be very much under construction.
Safety IS important. I am on a 300K budget give or take. I would CERTAINLY explore The Gulch and Hillsboro Village (areas I have NOT been to) before I made a real decision.
I'm way too picky to do that.
And, all of your comments have been extremely helpful because this is very preliminary. As I said, I need a job first. I just like having a general plan.
As far as downtown Franklin goes, I understand it is not truly urban or that either. As far as "entertainment", I'm not looking for clubs -- but, restaurants and a movie theatre...some shopping within walking distance. And Franklin offers most of that. It does not offer quick accessibility to Nashville. So, yes...Hillsboro Village being close to midtown keeps it on my list of places I would like to investigate.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM

63 posts, read 280,525 times
Not sure if you've done this yet, but if you're having trouble finding pictures of certain areas Google Street View is great. For example, here's Hillsboro Village:

37212 - Google Maps

Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Thanks. I've not tried google. I've "youtube'd" it also and been able to see some streetscapes.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
I like your way with words David. Good luck with your search for a new job and a new home. I'm sure you'll find something that suits you just right.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
Quote:
TN Ryan, I'm 24, female and walk through East Nashville all the time by myself at night. My Street, Shelby, Five Points. The worst that's ever happened is a group of guys yelling I found you Miss New Booty & I secretly liked it.
Gotta be special to get a compliment like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville