Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM

16 posts, read 44,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Remember that old Jeff Foxworthy routine? "If you own a house with wheels and three or four cars without, you might be a redneck."
Seriously, I still think that any type of "manufactured" or "pre-fab" home, whether it's technically a "trailer" or not, should be avoided. If money was a concern, I would just buy a smaller piece of land and use the savings to have a real home built.

Kind Soul ... I completely resent that statement ... and I'll leave it at that.

As far as the money goes ... it's more the interest rates and such that gets attached to a "real" home is what I am trying to avoid ... not spending the money, because frankly, this endeavor is going to cost a pretty penny or two.

Not to mention to have a home built ... not only do you have to pay for supplies, that most of the time are marked up anywhere from 10 - 100% (*IF* you're lucky) ... you have to pay for the contractors, including but not limited to the framers, roofers, floorers & finishers ... AND their crews' labor, building permits & licenses, inspectors, electricians, plumbers and then the inspector to come back out to check it again ... all of these payments are seperate, too, btw ... it's just not worth it ... not when I can have it pre assembled, for a FRACTION of the cost and then make renovations to it as I see fit later on down the line; renovation of which I'm more than capable of doing myself. Bonus is that I get to make ONE payment to ONE individual ... not ten! Extra Bonus is that mine will actually go UP in value by the time I'm done with it, so a loss isn't even being considered ...

And just for more info's sake ... a pre fab house is NOT "on wheels" ... well, outside of the flat bed rig it will be delivered on ... it's merely pre assembled & mine will be placed on a slab, if not a basement, if you must know, so in fact ... my pre-fabbed house and all it's "redneck" glory will probably end up being built and mantained better than most of the $300,000 crappily made houses that are a dime a dozen ... I promise ... the only one who's going to know the difference is the bottom line in *my* savings account!

All I need is the land ...

Thank you all for the advice that has been given, I *do* appreciate it ... I'll probably end up going through my contractor to find the land as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 44,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Pre-fab houses have come a really long way from what the word "trailer" is probably conjuring up in your mind right now. I would talk to your builder to see exactly what you are getting.

They had a show on HGTV this week where a young couple was house hunting and they ended up looking at pre-fab houses because of the lower cost per square foot. One thing worth noting from the show was that a couple of the houses they liked they couldn't get because of their financing. It's trickier to get a pre-manufactured house financed because they can lose value. They kept looking in the crawl space for something called a shear wall. If the shear wall wasn't found, they skipped that house & went on to the next one.

Courtney
One Modern Girl

Thank you for the response ... I will talk some more with my contractor.

The Shear Wall ... ??? Is that the same thing as a marriage wall?? In short, a brace to keep it from buckeling?? If that's the case, yes, there's one in the plan that we have chosen.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I'd be afraid to give you a solid yes, because I was just watching a TV show. But to keep the house from buckeling appeared to be the point of it.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-09-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville