Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 44,607 times

Advertisements

I know there are tons of these in here and I'm sorry for duplicating it (again) ... but I have read through most all of them and some of the questions runnin through my head are still unanswered

We will be moving to the Nashville area soon after the end of this school year, to relocate for my hubby's job.

We are looking for more towards the Smyrna (sp?) area ... Murfreesboro, all the way over to Eaglesville ... I know that's a large area to cover ... I've never been to the area, so I'm kind of doing research from all over the south -southwest side of Nashville ...

We are wanting a couple of acres (price per acre??) that we can place a brand new manufactured Home on ...

Schools (??) are extremely important as we have three small children.

I'm not big on shopping, so that really doesn't matter too much ... just affordable country living that is about a 30-45 minute drive to the Airport in Nashville ... Douglas ... ville?? Road, maybe?? That's where his head office is ...

The hubby is off for work 3 weeks out of the month, so I am having to do this solo ... my head has been spinning for about the past month solid Any suggestions or ideas to help make this easier on our little family would SO greatly be appreciated!

Thank you Kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Are you sure you want to buy a manufactured home? That is a terrible investment. Those things depreciate like cars. Also, Smyrna/Murfreesboro to the airport is a haul. If you're looking for land, you should look in Wilson County between Mt. Juliet and Lebanon.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM

hehe ... yes ... I know how they depreciate, but if you set it on a foundation & build out from one, and turn it into a "real" home (I've helped do one before) it turns into *quite* the investment Just like the improvements and upgrades to exsisting homes and even vehicles enhance their resale value too ...

It will be our first home and with all the drama going on in the credit markets, we're hoping that if we do it this way, we won't be charged outrageous interest rates with the possibility of going under on top of it all ... and we could just about pay off the manufactured one alot sooner than an over priced brick and mortar home.

Thank you for the advice on Smyrna and Murfreesboro ... I SO didn't realize they were that far we've been told it was only about a 15-20 minute drive on the interstate to the airport Guess our sources need to revamp their calculators, huh?? lol!

Thanks again ... I'm off to look at the Wilson County area now ...

Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
I don't think of it as being that far from Smyrna to the airport. It is a little further from Murfreesboro to the airport. I-24 from Murfreesboro to Nashville does carry a lot of traffic during rush hour, but at other times it's not so bad.

You might also consider Nolensville with what you're wanting to do.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:03 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times
Wilson County is likely to be your best bet. You should check out county zoning regulations before purchasing any land, though. I know Rutherford County has become very strict on where mobile homes can be placed IRT the size of the parcel. I have 6 acres outside of the city limits and want to put a small mobile home toward the back of my land for my disabled brother to live in but because of zoning, I can't. Crazy, huh?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Wilson County is likely to be your best bet. You should check out county zoning regulations before purchasing any land, though. I know Rutherford County has become very strict on where mobile homes can be placed IRT the size of the parcel. I have 6 acres outside of the city limits and want to put a small mobile home toward the back of my land for my disabled brother to live in but because of zoning, I can't. Crazy, huh?
mARY, That's crazy as its your own property and with 6 acres you certainly are not close to a neighbor.

What about a Log Home? Will they allow that. Those are kind of neat.

Diane G

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
mARY, That's crazy as its your own property and with 6 acres you certainly are not close to a neighbor.

What about a Log Home? Will they allow that. Those are kind of neat.

Diane G
I think it has something to with trailer parks. The theory is that with 6 acres (not sure what the limit is) you could set up a number of mobiles and charge rent. With a small lot, that's not really possible.

I ran into this two years ago when I was looking at land in Centerville. It was 3 acres and according to zoning, I could not put a mobile on the land. If I subdivided to create a small lot and a larger lot, I could put the mobile on the smaller lot.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM

thank you all for your responses! i SO appreciate them!

by reading everything though, I'm a bit confused ... are yall saying that my pre-fab (manufactured) house is a mobile home??? as in like a trailer???!?!?!?! uuummmm .... yea ... I might have a newer problem than what I thought I had with just the land Off to call my contractor as we speak ... that's SURE NOT what he explained to me it was!!

Thanks Again For the advice!!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
Pre-fab houses have come a really long way from what the word "trailer" is probably conjuring up in your mind right now. I would talk to your builder to see exactly what you are getting.

They had a show on HGTV this week where a young couple was house hunting and they ended up looking at pre-fab houses because of the lower cost per square foot. One thing worth noting from the show was that a couple of the houses they liked they couldn't get because of their financing. It's trickier to get a pre-manufactured house financed because they can lose value. They kept looking in the crawl space for something called a shear wall. If the shear wall wasn't found, they skipped that house & went on to the next one.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-09-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Remember that old Jeff Foxworthy routine? "If you own a house with wheels and three or four cars without, you might be a redneck."

Seriously, I still think that any type of "manufactured" or "pre-fab" home, whether it's technically a "trailer" or not, should be avoided. If money was a concern, I would just buy a smaller piece of land and use the savings to have a real home built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville