U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM

18 posts, read 28,090 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving somewhere with some acreage for horses and the surrounding areas of Nashville spark an interest. I just would like to know if you live somewhere outside Nashville with acreage, are you going to be driving 30 minutes just to get to civilization? We want to be somewhere to have some privacy at home but we also dont want to be out in the middle of no where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM

731 posts, read 1,517,882 times
There are plenty of pockets of green space to be found in the counties surrounding Nashville. Just how much land are you looking for? Do you want a house already on it or should it be unimproved so you can build your own? How much are you budgeting to spend per acre? And, what so you consider to be private? Not seeing another home from your front porch or just not crammed up against your neighbor? Costs can vary widely from area to area.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM

We want around 2-5 acres and spend up to $350k. We don't want to build a house so we want it already on the property. Seeing another house from the front porch is fine, we just dont want to be right next to our neighbors.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,860,935 times
There are places around Nashville that would probably work for you, especially the areas west and northwest of downtown Nashville (Cheatham County, Dickson County, Robertson County, the northwestern section of Davidson County, the River Road area of Davidson County).

You might not have to drive 30 minutes in some of these areas to get to "civilization", but you probably would have to take a short drive to find much more than a grocery store. None of the areas around Nashville will feel like the wilds of Alaska however.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM

I don't know if anyone's been to eastern kentucky, I have family in Hazard and visit there often and while its beautiful country, its way to sticks for me. Now I know Nashville is a waay bigger city than anything in eastern kentucky, but does it get to be "out in the sticks" about 15-20 miles out of Nashville?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 PM

204 posts, read 519,663 times
Exit 24 - Joelton and Springfield area may hold what you are looking for. Alot of country living with the closeness of Nashville to the Southeast and Clarksville to the Northwest.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM

You can find some pretty rural "pockets" 20 miles out from Nashville, but even then it won't be like most parts of eastern Kentucky.

As long as you don't mind a short drive for stores such as Target and Publix, and for restaurant choices, you'd be all right 15 or 20 miles out. For example, I mentioned Dickson County; parts of Dickson are rural, but people can hop on I-40 and be in west Nashville in 15 or 20 minutes.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Living about 15-20 miles out of Nashville, how is commuting in work outs in and out of the city? Is there a lot of traffic? If it takes you about 15 to 20 minutes to get there on a non work day, how much longer for rush hour?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,517,882 times
I've got family in Eastern KY and no, you won't find much of anything around Nashville like it is there. I live in Murfreesboro in Rutherfod County on several acres and we plan to get horses in the next few years. There area few developments near me that I can walk to where both I and my kids have friends and can socialize, yet I have privacy and space I need to be comfortable at home. It is a short 10 minute drive to get to the mall, hospital, grocery, etc. You can find property like mine all over the place. Our last home was in Wilson County. We built a house on 6 acres along a paved 1 lane road. It to about 15 to 20 minutes to get to Wal-Mart so it was quite a bit more 'rural' than where I am now, but hubby could still get to work in downtown Nashville in 30 minutes.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeanPoles View Post
Living about 15-20 miles out of Nashville, how is commuting in work outs in and out of the city? Is there a lot of traffic? If it takes you about 15 to 20 minutes to get there on a non work day, how much longer for rush hour?
A lot would depend on exactly where you live, and where you commute to, as well as which direction you're coming from. Traffic to and from the south and southeast is heavy, somewhat less so from the northeast and north, and less still from the northwest, west, or southwest.

One thing you have going for you is that you're only looking for 2 to 5 acres, and you have a reasonable budget for that. If you were looking for 25 acres with your budget and still wanted to be within a 20 minutes drive to Nashville you might have a problem. More and more land within a half-hour to an hours drive to Nashville is being developed. Sadly, true farm land is being sold for housing developments. However, you can still find many small acreage tracts within a short drive to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville