Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfreesboro View Post
Thank you Steve_Tn!!!! I called the numbers you posted and I will be shabbath with this congregation on Sabbath. Thank you so much!!!
You are very welcome. I am glad I could help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,580 times
Default Nashville Jewish Community: NEW question

We are thinking of coming to Vanderbilt for a one year sabbatical. We would like to know where my daughter might find a High School for religious girls, hopefully in Nashville. Unfortunately, from what I have seen the Jewish school in Nashville is through 8th grade only. Anyone who knows, please advise.

Thanks,
Rise (pronounced Reesa)

Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermanr View Post
We are thinking of coming to Vanderbilt for a one year sabbatical. We would like to know where my daughter might find a High School for religious girls, hopefully in Nashville. Unfortunately, from what I have seen the Jewish school in Nashville is through 8th grade only. Anyone who knows, please advise.

Thanks,
Rise (pronounced Reesa)
The Jewish population in Nashville isn't large enough to make a Jewish high school feasible as yet. As far as I know, there's only Akiva for the younger grades. You might call the Jewish Community Center and see if they have any additional information.

You also might want to look at something like University School of Nashville as an alternative.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,882 times
Default Messianic are not Jews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfreesboro View Post
Hello there!! Scroll down the screen... Bnai Ya' akov messianic congregation is located in Murfreesboro. 615-594-5475/615-848-0811

Thank to our viewer steve_TN

sincerely Murfreesboro
Nice of you to look this up but Messianic people are not Jews - they are Christians who operate as Jews and recognize some Jewish aspects to their Christianity. Their "synagogue" is actually a church. It's easy to mix it up if you are just doing a search. I am a Jewish transplant from Murfreesboro and I LOVED the Jewish community of Nashville but would never live again in Murf as a Jew...too many people who didn't understand and I often felt like an outcast (and my kids were the only Jews in the entire school system for two years). I loved, loved, loved Nashville and would live there again in a second but I would stick to Franklin, Brentwood and parts of Bellevue.

good luck!

Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
The Jewish population in Nashville isn't large enough to make a Jewish high school feasible as yet. As far as I know, there's only Akiva for the younger grades. You might call the Jewish Community Center and see if they have any additional information.

You also might want to look at something like University School of Nashville as an alternative.
Harpeth Hall is an all girl high school and has a great many Jewish girls there. It's a wonderful private school but stay on the west side if you are looking to live "jewishly" there. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 10,584 times
Default Similar situation_Weston, FL

I also live in Weston, FL and I currently have a position held in Nashville, TN and although I do not live there yet, my husband and I were thinking of places to retire and NC and Nashville were two destinations. NC will be overcrowded with northerners (like myself) and I love the culture of Nashville. My first trip was two weeks ago and I met alot of people, so diversified and plenty of northerners. Nashville not only seems to be tolerant, educated, but plenty to do. My advice to you is get realtor there and take some trips up there maybe a couple of weekends. Even though my husband and me are not practicing jews, we were born jews, we are reform, however my husband wants to live in area were there is a jewish community, because that equals diversity.

SouthFLady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obl2 View Post
We are looking to leave south florida and considering the Nashville area. I have 2 young children so schools are a priority. We also need to be reasonably close (20 minutes or so) from a reform jewish temple for religious school purposes. Our price range is mid 200's. I've heard Murfreesboro is nice but I'm not sure if there is a jewish temple anywhere nearby. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,584 times
I also live in Weston and recently got a position in Nashville, now I may have to move.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 33,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obl2 View Post
We are looking to leave south florida and considering the Nashville area. I have 2 young children so schools are a priority. We also need to be reasonably close (20 minutes or so) from a reform jewish temple for religious school purposes. Our price range is mid 200's. I've heard Murfreesboro is nice but I'm not sure if there is a jewish temple anywhere nearby. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not only does Murfreesboro not have a temple, it was the location of a pro-hamas rally a while back. It always seems to revert back to it's anti-semitic roots.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoyal View Post
Not only does Murfreesboro not have a temple, it was the location of a pro-hamas rally a while back. It always seems to revert back to it's anti-semitic roots.
Please provide "credible" links to validate such claims. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
All I could find was a rally lead by the Islamic Center in Murfreesboro. It took place on the square. It involved Muslims across middle TN. That hardly makes this area anti-semetic.

Hundreds protest against Gaza conflict on Square on The Murfreesboro Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville