Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Yes, I think that is somewhat correct. There was already considerable revitalization happening when in 1998 the tornado hit Centennial Park, downtown & the eastside. Not sure if it was so much the former residents not being able to rebuild rather than the appeal of the old Victorians and Bugalows when they were rebuilt with the insurance money. Many of those people sold to younger professional types people who wanted to live close to the city in an older pre-war home. So the revitalization of East Nashville was pretty much jump started by insurance company money. Anybody that's more informed than myself please step in and correct or amend my post.
Agreed. The insurance money brought a new impetus to gentrification that had already been happening for over a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 AM

256 posts, read 888,832 times
I understand Mad fiddler..I should explore more....Your not going to get a way from cime, it happens everywhere no matter how nice the place is....You just need to feel safe..me and my husband lived ina apartmnet for a while..we got some new plp above us that looked very rough and done drugs(we could smell it) and I never did feel safe there..they would always be strange people there....

Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
I understand Mad fiddler..I should explore more....Your not going to get a way from cime, it happens everywhere no matter how nice the place is....You just need to feel safe..me and my husband lived ina apartmnet for a while..we got some new plp above us that looked very rough and done drugs(we could smell it) and I never did feel safe there..they would always be strange people there....
It doesn't sound like a good situation if you're uncomfortable with your neighbors. I'm glad you found a new home where things are much more pleasant

Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 PM

256 posts, read 888,832 times
thanks...i know..and the owner never really did anything..we told and told him..and nothing was done....

Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM

25 posts, read 87,300 times
nashvilles not bad , theres usually a few murders a week but not usually random,found a loaded gun at hunters lane today, gang member on trial for pulling gun on teacher at school, the bigger we get the worse it gets

Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
What developments on Main st? I drove through the area two months ago and noticed some poor looking people. Some security bars on windows, and generally some beer stores. I also 30 inch rims matching the hip hop style. What developments are you talking about?
isn't this a good deal of nashville-davidison county?

sounds like much of these areas are "dead and gone"---life support ain't gonna save it!

st. anne's church was completely lost in that storm, as were some other church buildings and warehouses/businesses.

Last edited by mbmouse; 04-08-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM

13 posts, read 25,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Yes, I think that is somewhat correct. There was already considerable revitalization happening when in 1998 the tornado hit Centennial Park, downtown & the eastside. Not sure if it was so much the former residents not being able to rebuild rather than the appeal of the old Victorians and Bugalows when they were rebuilt with the insurance money. Many of those people sold to younger professional types people who wanted to live close to the city in an older pre-war home. So the revitalization of East Nashville was pretty much jump started by insurance company money. Anybody that's more informed than myself please step in and correct or amend my post.
First off, I apologize for dredging up an old post. I was researching Love Circle and came across this forum and have been reading for almost 2 hours.

I grew up in East Nashville, know it like the back of my hand. The tornado of 98 did major damage to many of the houses in EN, I know this to be fact. East Nashville was full of old trees, when trees fall they must land somewhere, most landed on the rooftops. Prior to the tornado, East Trashful, as it was often referred to, wasn't a pretty part of town, it was historically known for drugs, gangs and crime. It was only after the tornado did East Nashville "clean up." The tornado not only caused major damage, it brought members of the community together. Ones that weren't affected helped those who were affected. Months after the tornado, you could ride through EN and see houses boarded up, houses that were once occupied by renters with owners who got out while the getting out was good, or so they thought. There wasn't much going on in reference to cleaning up either crime wise or physically prior to the tornado. Five corners was just that, 5 empty street corners, well except for the gas station. Now five corners is jumping, there are restaurants located all over, vets, dog grooming/boarding, even a bed and breakfast. None of this was evident prior to the tornado. My good friend recently sold his house in EN, got 172 K for it, the buyer did some renovations to it (fipped it) and sold it at a whooping 365K.OK, I veered off topic.

I remember trying to get to my mom's house (Ordway Place) minutes after the tornado, it was impossible. Besides my mom, there is only two other families on her street from before the tornado, all the others moved. Those who occupy the homes now are mostly younger aged married couples who were looking to nest, have children and retire.

On a side note, I remember back in my late teens (1989-1992) Antioch was the place to live, the place to hang out, we actually drove to Antioch on the weekends to have fun. I wouldn't go to Antioch for nothing, I wouldn't live theire if the house was free. I'd much rather live in Madison/Inglewood/East Nashville. At least I know what areas to stay away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville