Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,816 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I'm planning a 4 nt stay in Tennessee in mid-May 2009 with my sister (we're coming from two different parts of the country) and we're waffling over staying within a short of the Smokey Mts (Knoxville, Severville-area) or near Nashville. I'm looking for the outdoor rec (horseback riding, hiking, canoeing, etc. and some shopping) and my sister is interested in the city scene. Are there any places inbetween or any suggestions on how we could make this work? Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 PM

764 posts, read 2,539,762 times
I'd go to East Tennessee/Knoxville. K'ville is a huge college town with an active city scene, especially for the younger crowd. You can't beat the Smokies and surrounding area for outdoor recreation, IMO.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM

317 posts, read 1,226,646 times
Hmmm. That sounds difficult. You can't beat the area close to Knoxville for outdoors - Gatlinburg and in the national park. However, you don't have "city" unless you go to Knoxville...but even there, it's a small town.

You have the Ocoee River between Nashville and Knoxville where you could go whitewater rafting. Again, though, that's just going to fit the outdoors side.

Here in Nashville you definitely can get the city aspect in, including some great shopping. You can probably get a few outdoors things in as well. It's probably just not as known for it, but you should be able to find a few things to do. Nothing in TN will be as grandiose as the Smoky Mountain National Park or rafting down the Ocoee, but you can find a place to ride horses and go for a hike. Canoe...don't know, but maybe? We do have a couple of lakes (Old Hickory Lake & Percy Priest) and the Cumberland River, but I am not familiar with canoe rentals on them. For hiking, there are places like Radnor Lake, Percy Warner Park, Edwin Warner Park, and some other parks a little further outside of the main center of town.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM

625 posts, read 4,558,187 times
Oh you definitely need to do both! Two nights in each area! Middle and East TN aren't that far apart, and they have so much to offer that are a must see if you are so close. City/historical/country music type things in Nashville and outdoorsy stuff around Gatlinburg/Smoky Mtns.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM

627 posts, read 1,839,335 times
Knoxville's night life will be extremely lessened as it's the summer.

My suggestion is go to Nashville. Take day trips for your outdoor activities. You can ride horses and go hiking, etc. all within 90 minutes of Nashville. Obviously it's not the Smokies, but it's still good. Then you can come back to the city and enjoy the nightlife. Getting from Knoxville to the Smokies during July is a car ride only a masochist would enjoy. You'll be on the tourist death march for hours.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM

957 posts, read 3,688,313 times
The mountains are nice but there is horseback riding, plenty of parks for hiking or biking and the lakes and Cumberland or Stones river for canoeing in the Nashville area. The Stones River is really nice if you launch just below the Priest Lake dam near I40. You can paddle all the way to the Cumberland. The Stones River Greenway also starts right there which is great for hiking or biking.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,496,870 times
Not so, the nightlife doesn't slow down in the summer in Knoxville. Check out sundown in the city if you enjoy a young mob scene. To avoid crowds, visit the Smokies via Townsend or Cosby - but the shopping is best in Pigeon Forge.

That said, Nashville imay be the way to go if nightlife is #1 priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville