Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbound2024 View Post
I live outside of Jackson, TN but my sister lives in Nashville, TN and I visit relatively often. Let me tell you that Nashville doesn't seem to be affected by the economy whatsoever. It's quite interesting, really! It is still building up and I haven't seen many foreclosed homes in the area. Oh and I think you should have some good opportunities for being a hairstylist in Nashville. I may be blind, but I haven't seen an oversaturation in that market, so you should do well. I bet you could bring in A LOT of business opening somewhat near the Vanderbilt campus, but you would probably have a very expensive rent. The Bellevue area is also very busy and that could be a good area to open a business. One thing to consider is Nashville traffic is HELL in the mornings around 7:30-8:00AM and evening around 5:00PM-6:00PM. Other than that, I like Nashville a good deal.
Hi Marsbound2024! I've been thinking about moving to Nashville for about 1 1/2 yrs., but concerned about the economy/jobs. You said they are building, do you know what they are building, what new is coming to town? I would appreciate any help. I would really like to move there and get out of CA. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:07 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,613 times
Not trying to discourage anyone from moving to Nashville because I believe that it is a wonderful area to live and there are opportunities. However, the economy has adversely impacted the Nashville area, just not as much as in some other areas of the country.
Residential housing sales are down over 30% over the past year with overall housing prices declining. Many small builders have gone out of business. Many developments(i.e., Laurel Cove, downtown condos, etc.) have either been put on hold or are experiencing serious financial problems. Foreclosures are up substantially over previous years. New construction has also slowed substantially. Unemployment has increased in the past year with many layoffs, and more coming.
I would definitely consider having some kind of job lined up before moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville