Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

11 posts, read 20,906 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to Nashville from Wisconsin. I have some questions that were not answered in any other forum I searched. So here goes....

My hubby is with the American Red Cross (2201 Charlotte Ave, Nashville) and we are hoping someone could let us know of family friendly neighborhoods close to that location. Also it is important that we are walking distance to a school if at all possible. Which leads to my next question....

We currently Homeschool. In looking at TN regulations, we feel we may want to place them back into school. Without boring you all with details, public school here was a nighmare for my son who has Auditory Processing Disorder and was falling 2 years behind his peers (teachers didn't have time to help him). What are the TN schools like? Would anyone be able to reccomend a certain school district over another? How are the schools there in relation to Christian families?

Another question is related to the neighborhood question. I have heared that TN is a friendly place. We have currently been living in our home for 4 years and do not know any of our neighbors! What have been your expereinces with neighborhoods? May sound like an odd question, but we would have no family or friends and would be totally starting over and just want to know the vibe we may be receiving.

Thanks for reading my long post and for any insight you are all able to give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,838 times
Before even recommending an area we would need to know your price point.

As far as TN being a friendly place I'd say YES! But I'm a bit biased because I'm a native. I cannot imagine not knowing my neighbors! In fact I don't think I ever would have ever been on a date :-)

My neighborhood, East Nashville, is extremely unique because we keep it old school. It really is one of those communities with the Cheers vibe where everybody knows your name. A weekly lunch group with an open invitation, community picnics, monthly game night, volunteer organizations, a knitting group, basketball, softball, dodgeball etc. Not only will everybody know your name but your dog's name too & if anyone moves here without a dog, they will have one soon enough :-)

Someone recently asked why I thought my neighborhood was such a magical place, the reasons above are what makes it special. It's the kind of magical place where neighbors are friends and band together to pick each other up when we're down. It's the kind of place where everyone can be treated as equal in an unequal world & a magical place where some kids chose to forgo Christmas presents so their economically disadvantaged neighbors could keep their utilities turned on. A place where white meets black & rich meets poor.

East Nashville is not for everyone, but I have definitely been touched by the community & have yet to meet anyone that doesn't feel the same.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Bluesky- you make us all want to live in your hood

I love mine, though, too. I live south of Nashville, in Franklin. Like you, halfpint, we moved away from all our family and friends. It couldn't have gone more smoothly! Our neighbors are like family now. (Some I like even better, LOL!) We're a diverse bunch, and we like it that way. We've always been socially connected to each other, but recently formed a non-profit to benefit Make-A-Wish, so now we're working together on that front.

As for our schools, I know there are Lindamood-Bell certified reading facilitators in the Franklin Special School District. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Williamson County had some too. I volunteer at my kids' schools, and have been amazed at the level of individualized instruction they're able to provide. I'm NOT saying our district has an exclusive on that, though. I'm sure you'll get more info about specific schools on this forum once you narrow your search.

Best of luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Ok - Bluesky...we'll move to your neighborhood. I am almost like, "your kidding" with all the stuff your talking about. Up here I cannot even get my neighbors to do more than a courtesy wave as they drive by. We have even tried to do a neighborhood cookout to get to know people, but no one would attend (I don't think we're wierd...????). Could you tell me if there are neighborhoods like yours near where my husband's job is? I have the address in the initial post.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Oh, I forgot to say my pricepoint. I was having trouble with my comp and had to repost 4X's and forgot to add that info in again.

We need to be around the $700/mo mark. We have 2 kids, so a 3 bedroom would be ideal. We are used to having a yard, but if that is out of the question then being near someplace where the kids can ride bike and play is important.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM

akm...that sounds good. Here, the schools are so over crowded with usually over 20 kids per teacher, and they just don't have the ability to take extra time to work with 1 student. Also, when someone did need help, they would arrange it to happen during a recess...as if a 11 year old wants to miss recess?!

Is this really how the people are? Someone told me that used to live in TN that in the evening, people hang out on their porch or in the front yard and watch the neighborhood kids play while the adults talk? Is that really true? Around here everyone has their patio in the back yard so we literally don't see our neighbors except when they drive in and out of their garages.

Also..I need to find some part time work. Is Nashville as hard hit with the economy where no one is hiring? I am experienced as a home health care helper (not a CNA, but doing cares), reception and light secretarial work. I've also had an inhome daycare. I don't care if I end up working at a gas station...but hoping to find out if there is a huge freeze on hiring or not.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Hiring has slowed, sure, but since you're flexible you might have more luck.

Yes, we hang out outside in the evenings. We often potluck our dinners or order pizza or Chinese and round up the kids for dinner outside. My kids LOVE it here.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,838 times
LOL There are actually neighborhood "porch parties" in the Summer & Fall on the East Side Thursday Night Porch Parties .

You asked about community & I know my neighborhood excels in that. It seems to be too good to be true on this thread because it's not mentioning that it's smack dab in the middle of a crime map.

There are places that I would put my friends & family & there are places that I probably would not, depending on the type of person. I'm not sure what you could get in your price range. $850-$950 sounds more reasonable for a 3 bedroom in this area.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
Welcome to TN halfpint...but I have to know...where did you live in WI? I lived there for 20 years and had one of those fairytale neighborhoods with kids playing all over the place, sharing childcare and carpool duties and neighborhood cookouts.

I live in Franklin too and find the people very friendly. We haven't made a bunch of friends but that is because of our job situations, not the people. Good luck with your move, you will REALLY enjoy TN's version of "winter"!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 AM

I live between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. It is a friendly place, don't get me wrong...but a neighborhood like your talking about is Not the norm around here. I have lived here all my life, and I have seen a drastic difference in the area. I used to live rurally growing up and we knew our neighbors because we had all been there for over 30 years. However, moving into Chippewa Falls, we have seen that over the years people are more and more private and don't want to mix with neighbors, unless you are in a very high income area.

Thank you Bluesky for your honesty. I am hoping to find part time work to cover any houseing costs, but it seems that price is pretty comp..to here. We can get a 2 level duplex, 3 bedroom for just under $800 here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: