Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM

153 posts, read 689,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
As for the Preds in a earlier post, this season the attendance numbers have been pretty good. A gentle steady climb has been the trend year after year. As for the fights, you have to understand the game and you clearly do not Ben. Fighting is PART of the game and most of the time, these guys who fight go out for beers afterward. I know because I have friends who used to play for the Preds and would engage in this behaviour from time to time. Want an NBA player that is a black eye, try Latrell Sprewell for starters. Need more?
Yes please? After all, you cited a current football player in PacMan, how about an NBA player who has played in the last five years. This seems like further evidence that you don't currently pay attention to the NBA. I have no problem with you not liking or watching the NBA, but you claim that you should know something about the sport in order to comment on it, and then cite someone who played during Jordan's prime as evidence that the game has declined since Jordan. Can you quantify exactly what a black eye is? Clearly, you are ok with violence, and you said that you would love to have MLB here despite widespread doping concerns. At any rate, I'll let you have the last word--this thread is clearly irrelevant to nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 PM

180 posts, read 596,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben52284 View Post
Yes please? After all, you cited a current football player in PacMan, how about an NBA player who has played in the last five years. This seems like further evidence that you don't currently pay attention to the NBA. I have no problem with you not liking or watching the NBA, but you claim that you should know something about the sport in order to comment on it, and then cite someone who played during Jordan's prime as evidence that the game has declined since Jordan. Can you quantify exactly what a black eye is? Clearly, you are ok with violence, and you said that you would love to have MLB here despite widespread doping concerns. At any rate, I'll let you have the last word--this thread is clearly irrelevant to nashville.

Allen Iverson is a jack### and is a black eye (one who makes the league and it's players look bad to the general public) in the NBA. Off the top of my head, I haven't got many to name personally. To me, the NBA is glorified street ball and the real game is in college. Which is ironically what I watch the most of. But if I had to pull a name out that strikes me as a "black eye" type player I would have to go with Kobe as one. Although to his credit, he really has toned down the whining in the past couple of years. That may be because he really is the only talent on that team now so all the attention is going his way. The last two years have been quite for the NBA to their credit.

Regardless, I didn't state I was okay with violence. I do accept it in a sport that it is a historical part of. As for baseball and doping, do you remember me saying anything on the order of endorsing the doping of players because I don't remember endorsing it. I would love to see a CLEANED UP MLB here in Nashville someday. Is that better sounding for you? Still not relevant to Nashville? I don't agree with performance manipulating drugs in any sport and I would love to see them eradicated from all MLB, NFL, whatever else they are predominatly in, teams.

FWIW, I didn't know that Latrell was part of the "Jordan" generation of NBA players? Was he there when Jordan dropped 50 repeatedly in a Bulls uni? I don't think so.

Bottomline here is a small minority that wants a NBA team in Nashville. It's highly doubtful we will ever get a team and I am fine with that. Like I said earlier, i would rather see a team go up the road in Louisville. A city(s) and state that historically has more significance with basketball than Tennessee. An NBA team would do better there in my opinion.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
Quote:
WOW! Not a single ounce of bigoty here and the fact that you THINK I am when you don't have a clue who I am is insulting at best. Not to mention, flamebait and that is breaking the rules of this board. You are also putting words into my mouth about the NFL and NHL players. Man o man, if only you could read.

I got nothing else for you partner. Nothing at all.

The current "Players" in the NBA couldn't hold the jockstraps of players like Jordan, Chamberlain, and Bird. Heck, they don't belong in the same locker room with them.
Calling you out doesn't mean I'm flamebaiting. If that's all you got, fine, but don't act like an objection is someone simply out there to aggravate. Please.

Keep pretending you're fooling anyone. If its not bigotry, please explain how I should have viewed your sanctimonious comments that the NBA would give Nashville a black eye (using NFLer Pac Man Jones as the example?) and that the NBA's "general lifestyle this city could do without."

Last edited by VolDude; 02-14-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 09:50 AM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
Quote:
But if I had to pull a name out that strikes me as a "black eye" type player I would have to go with Kobe as one. Although to his credit, he really has toned down the whining in the past couple of years. That may be because he really is the only talent on that team now so all the attention is going his way. The last two years have been quite for the NBA to their credit.
That is hilarious. Okay, so let's review: You cite not wanting the NBA because it would give the city a black eye, providing a former Nashville NFLer as an example. Now you call Kobe a black eye type of player because he apparently whines too much in your opinion. Well I guess the NFL needs to move out of Nashville, because there's no bigger "black eye" (using your apparent discription) in the NFL than Vince Young. He threatened to kill himself after he justly lost his starting position. That's whining only at a much greater level. I would site some certain Predator examples of whining, or even more extreme cases like Vince Young, but I don't watch hockey.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:47 AM

149 posts, read 478,218 times
Quote:
Allen Iverson is a jack### and is a black eye (one who makes the league and it's players look bad to the general public) in the NBA. Off the top of my head, I haven't got many to name personally. To me, the NBA is glorified street ball and the real game is in college. Which is ironically what I watch the most of. But if I had to pull a name out that strikes me as a "black eye" type player I would have to go with Kobe as one. Although to his credit, he really has toned down the whining in the past couple of years. That may be because he really is the only talent on that team now so all the attention is going his way. The last two years have been quite for the NBA to their credit.

Regardless, I didn't state I was okay with violence. I do accept it in a sport that it is a historical part of. As for baseball and doping, do you remember me saying anything on the order of endorsing the doping of players because I don't remember endorsing it. I would love to see a CLEANED UP MLB here in Nashville someday. Is that better sounding for you? Still not relevant to Nashville? I don't agree with performance manipulating drugs in any sport and I would love to see them eradicated from all MLB, NFL, whatever else they are predominatly in, teams.

FWIW, I didn't know that Latrell was part of the "Jordan" generation of NBA players? Was he there when Jordan dropped 50 repeatedly in a Bulls uni? I don't think so.

Bottomline here is a small minority that wants a NBA team in Nashville. It's highly doubtful we will ever get a team and I am fine with that. Like I said earlier, i would rather see a team go up the road in Louisville. A city(s) and state that historically has more significance with basketball than Tennessee. An NBA team would do better there in my opinion.

No, Kobe is not a black eye.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM

195 posts, read 525,209 times
We should put the team in Brentwood because they are in best position to pay for the expense. Plus their property tax rate is quite cheap right now at 2+%.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:36 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
Well, our metro is growing!!!

I bet if it reached 2,000,000, and we shipped out the preds, we would get a basketball team.
This is the major problem with sports fans in Nashville. If they are not hockey fans, the Predators should not exist. They are there and hopefully will be there for a long time!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,279 times
qwe123safi,

I feel if Charlotte and Oklahoma City can have an NBA team....Nashville should too, but since there
is one in Memphis perhaps they don't want another in TN>>..

I wonder if back in the day there was an ABA team there?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM

180 posts, read 596,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
qwe123safi,

I feel if Charlotte and Oklahoma City can have an NBA team....Nashville should too, but since there
is one in Memphis perhaps they don't want another in TN>>..

I wonder if back in the day there was an ABA team there?

There IS an ABA team here. They are the Nashville Broncs and they play at Municipal Auditorium.

I'm telling you people, if you know anything at all, you would know the NBA would be a hard sell here from the very beginning just like hockey has been. This is a football centric city and support for basketball just isn't there at the moment. What Charlotte and OKC has means nothing to what this city could have. Nothing at all. Both are seperate cities with seperate demographics and economies.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben52284 View Post

You claim that the NBA would give Nashville a "black eye," and reference a football player as evidence? As far as I can see, the appeal of the NHL is strictly the fights
Breakaways, dekes, ways goals are scored, goalie saves and checking is what appeals in the NHL. Fighting is there to keep players regulated from hurting their skilled teamates. Plus they are fighting on ice skates which are putting all their weight on a 0.06 inch wide blade that is touching a surface that has no friction and when they punch they move backards because of the no friction, so the punches are not that hard as they seem. It's a lot different then fighting with shoes and on solid land where you can plant your feet and the punches are harder at the blows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville