Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,940 times

Advertisements

It would be nice to have a MLB team here. We have to sell our city to the MLB, and hopefully get the chance. A great name could be the Tennessee Marshalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM

813 posts, read 2,026,334 times
I'm not a huge baseball fan but I'd love to have an MLB team. I don't think we can support one right now. Perhaps in another decade or so. Nashville is already a small market for two pro teams so I think we'd be stretched pretty thin.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM

627 posts, read 1,841,631 times
There's no way Nashville can get 30,000 people to show up 81 times per season for a MLB franchise. Milwaukee is the only city with an MLB team that is the same size as Nashville. They get outstanding attendance averages and are a complete aberration. The next closest market in Nashville's 1.5M is Kansas City at 2M and see how they compete?

MLB will relocate a team to Portland or Las Vegas long before they think about Nashville.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,160,856 times
NEED? No. No one NEEDS a MLB team.

WANT? Absolutely! I'd love for one to be here...makes more sense to me than a hockey team. But, I don't really see how it would be well enough attended to stay.

Perhaps a scenario somewhat like the Titans moving here would work...bring an already known team in. However, the fan base here has historically been St. Louis Card, Cincinatti Reds and Braves fans...don't know who could be brought in that would work like the old Oilers did.

As far as a name goes, these certainly wouldn't work...Tennessee Studs. Nashville Noise. Nashville Gnats. Tennessee Possums. Cumberland Clubbers.

Hard to improve on the names of the minor league teams in the state...Memphis Chicks, Memphis Redbirds, Nashville Sounds, Chattanooga Lookouts...

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,861,328 times
When the Marlins announced they were looking at moving to Las Vegas I sent a letter to Bredesen and Dean and they both replied with almost identical responses that Nashville was already spread thin with major league teams and that they had no intentions of landing an MLB team.

Personally, I'd rather have the NFL.

MLB games aren't really that much cheaper then the NFL. If you go to every Titans game and spend $50 on your ticket, You'll spend a total of $500. If you attend every MLB game and spend $10 on your ticket, you'll spend a total of $810 and that's not counting the extras, hot dogs, parking, souvenirs, ect, ect.

I'd love to have an MLB team but much like the hundreds of thousands of Steelers fans that run around down here, There would be the same masses that stayed true to the Braves, Cubs, Reds, and Cards, shrinking the already small fanbase.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,447,041 times
I'd love to have an MLB team, but I don't think there's any way it ever happens. Ever. Period.

Football has and always will be the king in TN. With baseball having 8X the number of games, I think the attendance would be closer to the Preds...struggling to get 12,000 a game. We're a 5 hour drive from 3 MLB franchises...StL, Cincy, and Atl...it just doesn't make much sense to me.

But, if they did land a franchise here I could see it named something like the Titans...borrowing the Greek imagery of the "Athens of the South". Or, they could just "buy" the Sounds name and use it. Personally, I don't think they can do better than the Nashville Sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville