Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I didn't say there are no racist non-whites, I said I've never personally experienced one.

I take it you've never been to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 03:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Nope -- Didn't say so.
Then I'm not sure how to take this:

Quote:
I'm sure you would vilify me, as all good liberals would.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I take it you've never been to Atlanta.
Years ago, but only for a few days. I've worked with quite a few black people, and all were nothing but kind and polite to me.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:49 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Then I'm not sure how to take this:
Read my previous post in case you missed the edit. The post got saved by mistake before finishing

Old 03-28-2009, 04:03 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Years ago, but only for a few days. I've worked with quite a few black people, and all were nothing but kind and polite to me.

Me too. Hell, I had a black stepfather (and extended black step-family) for years. But, in the two years I lived there, I constantly encountered people with major chips on their shoulders.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Me too. Hell, I had a black stepfather (and extended black step-family) for years. But, in the two years I lived there, I constantly encountered people with major chips on their shoulders.
Most people I encounter around here seem to have major chips on their shoulders.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Nope. Didn't say so either.

I did stereotype typical attitudes liberals have based on the obsession they seem to exhibit on race. The fact that you say "But I hear racist remarks literally every single day at work" makes me suspect that you share this obsession to an extent, since I go to work every day in the South and never hear racist remarks. In other words, I have trouble believing your statement, so I suspect your motive in saying such, just as I suspect a lot of people's motives on race, mainly leftists.
I'm glad you don't hear racist remarks every day, because it's annoying. Monday I'll try to remember to count how many times I hear one of my coworkers say "Stupid n******". I can assure you I hear this every single day. Just yesterday I mentioned a delivery driver who comes in every couple of weeks. Incidentally, he happens to be one of the nicest people I know. Well another coworker walked up and asked who I was talking about, and I told him. His first response was, "Oh, you mean that stupid n*****?" Keep in mind this driver has, as far as I know, never done anything to this guy, but he happens to be black so my coworker says things like this. I even got him to admit once that the driver is incredibly nice, but it didn't seem to change his opinion. I will say, however, that this particular coworker is by far the most blatantly racist of the group, for whatever it's worth.

Until this job (which is the first job I've had with exclusively white people) I, like many here, didn't think racism was very common amongst white Southerners any more. I'd like to think that my coworkers are exceptions, but then when half our customers act the same way I have to wonder.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:26 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times
Quote:
I'm glad you don't hear racist remarks every day, because it's annoying. Monday I'll try to remember to count how many times I hear one of my coworkers say "Stupid n******". I can assure you I hear this every single day. Just yesterday I mentioned a delivery driver who comes in every couple of weeks. Incidentally, he happens to be one of the nicest people I know. Well another coworker walked up and asked who I was talking about, and I told him. His first response was, "Oh, you mean that stupid n*****?" Keep in mind this driver has, as far as I know, never done anything to this guy, but he happens to be black so my coworker says things like this. I even got him to admit once that the driver is incredibly nice, but it didn't seem to change his opinion. I will say, however, that this particular coworker is by far the most blatantly racist of the group, for whatever it's worth.

Until this job (which is the first job I've had with exclusively white people) I, like many here, didn't think racism was very common amongst white Southerners any more. I'd like to think that my coworkers are exceptions, but then when half our customers act the same way I have to wonder.
I have no clue what kind of work you do or where you do it, but there is no way I could stand that kind of environment all day long. Your co-workers just sound ignorant. I have not heard that word used by anyone at work. Not once! I feel for you having to work around that nonsense all day long.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I have no clue what kind of work you do or where you do it, but there is no way I could stand that kind of environment all day long. Your co-workers just sound ignorant. I have not heard that word used by anyone at work. Not once! I feel for you having to work around that nonsense all day long.
It gets old. And like I said, if you work in an office-type environment you probably wouldn't hear anything like this. I didn't when I worked in an office.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 17,519 times
Default observation

I believe the attacks were originated by someone else, not me. I was just making an observation. It does not feel good to live in the U.S.A. and know that censorship is still alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville