U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,085,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post
I would say, if you are basing it off of perception, that Brentwood has the most prestige. When I think of the other towns are your list, the word prestige doesn't come to mind.
I would agree. Franklin really has all levels of income even if it does trend toward the upper-end. Thompson's Station and Nolensville are too small to have much to say about them and Spring Hill actually makes me think of mostly a blue-collar lifestyle because of the Saturn Plant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM

878 posts, read 1,615,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this exercise. Are you seriously trying to decide which area to settle down in based on what OTHER people think of the town and its perceived level of prestige??? Wow.

I don't have a 'keeping up with the Jonses' mentality, so if it were me, I'd buy the house that fit my lifestyle the best - the neighborhood, floorplan, area amenities, proximity to work, etc. NOT according to what anyone else thought of it. I outgrew the need to prove my worth to outsiders a long time ago. What do you care if someone thinks Nolensville is 'ghetto' as long as you like it and would be happy there?
Thanks Mary, great post. The last thing we need is another relocated real estate agent that convinces people they MUST move to Williamson County or they will be certailn to fall victim to the many "perils" of Davidson County. So you must go buy that tiny lot in that cookie cutter suburb while meanwhile paying 50% of your income on the mortgage payment. Pure *******s, but it's seemed to work for the last 15 years. Oh and if "prestige" means how much your house has appreciated, then East Nashville must be the most prestigious area in Middle Tennessee for the last 10 years.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM

26 posts, read 36,327 times
Quote:
Thanks Mary, great post. The last thing we need is another relocated real estate agent that convinces people they MUST move to Williamson County or they will be certailn to fall victim to the many "perils" of Davidson County. So you must go buy that tiny lot in that cookie cutter suburb while meanwhile paying 50% of your income on the mortgage payment. Pure *******s, but it's seemed to work for the last 15 years. Oh and if "prestige" means how much your house has appreciated, then East Nashville must be the most prestigious area in Middle Tennessee for the last 10 years.
Not sure if this is directed to me or not, nonetheless, if you read my post it states that I "owned" (past tense) a real estate brokerage (long ago). I wasn't an agent per se but owned/managed the office.

I didn't realize that this forum requires you to fully disclose your circumstances in order to get a friendly answer for an honest question. Since its required...It's my current employer/profession that is offering me a promotion that would require me to move to the area, it may be permanent or may be temporary and move back in couple of years to our corporate office. I don't wish to rent. I think it's quite presumtuous to assume what level of income I make.

Someone please tell me that people in the Nashville area are friendlier in person than on this forum.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Faces View Post
Not sure if this is directed to me or not, nonetheless, if you read my post it states that I "owned" (past tense) a real estate brokerage (long ago). I wasn't an agent per se but owned/managed the office.

I didn't realize that this forum requires you to fully disclose your circumstances in order to get a friendly answer for an honest question. Since its required...It's my current employer/profession that is offering me a promotion that would require me to move to the area, it may be permanent or may be temporary and move back in couple of years to our corporate office. I don't wish to rent. I think it's quite presumtuous to assume what level of income I make.

Someone please tell me that people in the Nashville area are friendlier in person than on this forum.
My apologies, didn't mean to offend. Maybe it was just the wording of your question as it does sound a little elitist. Anyway good luck with the move.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM

2,301 posts, read 4,273,588 times
Quote:

If you want people here to applaud your intentions rather than attack them, just ask where the "diverse" areas in Nashville are.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM

26 posts, read 36,327 times
Quote:
if you want people here to applaud your intentions rather than attack them, just ask where the "diverse" areas in nashville are.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
If you want people here to applaud your intentions rather than attack them, just ask where the "diverse" areas in Nashville are.
Oh just disputing the widely held falsehood that Davidson County is "uninhabitable" that's been pushed by a combination of Middle Tennessee real estate agents and real estate developers over the last couple of decades or more (see also, Atlanta). It gets a little old that some of the citizens of the surrounding counties come to Nashville to earn their livelyhood and then trash it (and the surrounding neighborhoods) every chance they get. But I digress, this is off topic, now back to the topic at hand.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM

540 posts, read 759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this exercise. Are you seriously trying to decide which area to settle down in based on what OTHER people think of the town and its perceived level of prestige??? Wow.
That's a pretty valid criterion in selecting a place to live, actually. Take a good friend of mine who is doing his residency at Vandy. To him prestige means a great deal. It means that the value of his home is going to hold more steady. It means staying in an established neighborhood. It means good schools. It means being able to sell his house when he finishes and finds a job (perhaps) elsewhere. Prestige = stability.

Let's face it, this whole website is centered around prestige, but rather, the prestige of individual posters forming a collective opinion. If four or five posters wanted to trash Mt. Juliet on this site, for instance, they could probably reasonably get away with it with as few postings as there are here.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,511,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
That's a pretty valid criterion in selecting a place to live, actually. Take a good friend of mine who is doing his residency at Vandy. To him prestige means a great deal. It means that the value of his home is going to hold more steady. It means staying in an established neighborhood. It means good schools. It means being able to sell his house when he finishes and finds a job (perhaps) elsewhere. Prestige = stability.

Let's face it, this whole website is centered around prestige, but rather, the prestige of individual posters forming a collective opinion. If four or five posters wanted to trash Mt. Juliet on this site, for instance, they could probably reasonably get away with it with as few postings as there are here.
My incredulation is at the OP's desire to rank 5 areas that are already held in regard for a standard of living that is above most of the rest of Tennessee. It's not pretentious to want to move to a nice area - most everyone wants to live in well-kept and safe neighborhood where the schools are good and home will keep their value. But to list areas like Franklin and Brentwood and ask which is more prestigious and actually base a major purchase on the elitist perception of others seems pretty shallow. Oh, one can dress it up and say that the main concern is for resale and all that, but that's not the only reason, nor is it likely the main one. Some people just have a need to gain approval from others based on a showing of material wealth and accomplishment. One of my best friends lives across the street from me - her husband is an anesthesiologist but you'd never know it from the cars they drive and the house they live in. They are confident in and satisfied with their life and just have no need to gain approval from others.

It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. Good luck with the transfer, Five Faces.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,648,252 times
Quote:

IMO, most of the people in the Nashville area are extremely friendly and there are actually a lot of friendly and helpful people on this forum. However, everyplace has some people that seek out negativity about people so I hope you don't judge the Nashville area by the few people who seem to have jumped to the wrong conclusions about your post.
When I read your original post I thought it was fairly straight forward and simple. You wanted a nice place to live and wanted to be in an area that enhanced the resale value of your house since you didn't expect to be here very long. That seems extremely reasonable to me
I wish you luck in your house search and I hope you enjoy the area. I think you will find that you will also enjoy most of the people here. Welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville