Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 AM

26 posts, read 81,979 times

Advertisements

Rank these towns in order of perceived prestige...

Brentwood
Franklin
Nolensville
Spring Hill
Thompsons Station

If you disagree with someone please say so, if two towns are tied please note that as well.

If I had to guess from reading this forum I would think the ranking would be something like...

1. Brentwood
2. Franklin
3. Thompsons Station
4. Spring Hill
5. Nolensville

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM

195 posts, read 523,641 times
For me, I look at real estate tax rate as basis for prestige. The higher the tax rate, the more developed it is. The more developed it is, the more prestigious it is.

So, by that, Nashville is the most prestigious. It is globally recognized tourist spot, great football and hockey stadiums, malls, convention centers, an international airport, etc.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,140,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashter View Post
For me, I look at real estate tax rate as basis for prestige. The higher the tax rate, the more developed it is. The more developed it is, the more prestigious it is.

So, by that, Nashville is the most prestigious. It is globally recognized tourist spot, great football and hockey stadiums, malls, convention centers, an international airport, etc.
Nashter, one problem with using the tax rate for your primary basis is that the City of Detroit would be near the top as far as prestige.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,003,092 times
I would move Nolensville ahead of Spring Hill and possibly ahead of Thompsons Station.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 AM

Does everyone else agree? So between the three, it would be ranked...

1) Nolensville
2) Thompsons Station
3) Spring Hill

Other thoughts?

I'm moving to the area and I'm deciding between a smaller home in Franklin or a larger home in one of the other three areas listed above. It seems everyone we talk to has a negative opinion about Nolensville, one person even went as far as to call it the "Ghetto". Are these people mistaken? Why is there so much confusion about Nolensville? I've read other posts here that said that people raise their noses at Nolensville, what's the deal???

Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,003,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Faces View Post
Does everyone else agree? So between the three, it would be ranked...

1) Nolensville
2) Thompsons Station
3) Spring Hill

Other thoughts?

I'm moving to the area and I'm deciding between a smaller home in Franklin or a larger home in one of the other three areas listed above. It seems everyone we talk to has a negative opinion about Nolensville, one person even went as far as to call it the "Ghetto". Are these people mistaken? Why is there so much confusion about Nolensville? I've read other posts here that said that people raise their noses at Nolensville, what's the deal???
Nolensville is a nice, quaint city. I think it is nicer than Spring Hill and comparable to Thompsons Station. However, its name conjures up the thought of Nolensville Road, a.k.a. Little Mexico, in Davidson County. My guess is that is where the negative perception comes from.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM

764 posts, read 2,539,019 times
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this exercise. Are you seriously trying to decide which area to settle down in based on what OTHER people think of the town and its perceived level of prestige??? Wow.

I don't have a 'keeping up with the Jonses' mentality, so if it were me, I'd buy the house that fit my lifestyle the best - the neighborhood, floorplan, area amenities, proximity to work, etc. NOT according to what anyone else thought of it. I outgrew the need to prove my worth to outsiders a long time ago. What do you care if someone thinks Nolensville is 'ghetto' as long as you like it and would be happy there?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this exercise. Are you seriously trying to decide which area to settle down in based on what OTHER people think of the town and its perceived level of prestige??? Wow.

I don't have a 'keeping up with the Jonses' mentality, so if it were me, I'd buy the house that fit my lifestyle the best - the neighborhood, floorplan, area amenities, proximity to work, etc. NOT according to what anyone else thought of it. I outgrew the need to prove my worth to outsiders a long time ago. What do you care if someone thinks Nolensville is 'ghetto' as long as you like it and would be happy there?
Good question...

I'm confident that many think as you do as do I, however, because of my specific circumstances I'm concerned about things such as resale value and quick turnaround. This is why I asked the question, and not being from the area I was hoping to gauge this from a local perspective. I know nobody in Nashville, so I have no "Joneses" to keep up with.

Having owned my own real estate brokerage, I can assure you, purchasing a home based on what "OTHER" people think is imparative in regard to resale.

That said, I hope you and others will amuse me by "playing along".

Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM

215 posts, read 710,662 times
I would say, if you are basing it off of perception, that Brentwood has the most prestige. When I think of the other towns are your list, the word prestige doesn't come to mind.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:24 PM

541 posts, read 1,220,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashter View Post
Not really a valid comparison. Taxes are lower in more established neighborhoods in Brentwood than newer developments because the area is already developed. There is less need to build new roads/utilities than in more established areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville