U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 PM

84 posts, read 200,364 times

Advertisements

Like everyone else we are planning a trip to Nashville and the environs to see if we can find the right fit for our family.

Ideally we are looking for a smaller town within a 30-45 minute commute of Nashville. Someplace that has a town center would be nice - a place with local coffee shops, restaurants, ice cream joints - a walkable town - not strip mall hell if you know what I mean.....

Schools are very important as we would like to go the public school route, but would consider private if the fit was right. We also like historic homes, sidewalks, et...but again might consider other possibilites if all the other factors lined up.

Hubby is an avid cyclist and would love to be able to take off from home and be on bike friendly streets without having to drive out first.

Franklin has been suggested to us and the area surrounding the downtown certainly looks of interest to us, but the overall area appears to be a bit more built up than we would prefer. (It's also a bit on the pricey side for what one appears to get)

What other towns/areas would you all suggest looking?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,813,084 times
I was thinking Franklin as well until I got to the bottom of your post.

You would have quite a choice with a 45 minute commute. You can even get to Nashville from the east side of Clarksville in about 45 minutes.

I might suggest Murfreesboro, although the commute to Nashville during rush hour can be terrible on I-24. It also might be bigger than what you're looking for. Smyrna might be a possibility, as well as Gallatin.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM

204 posts, read 517,964 times
Clarksville is within that range. The downtown area is making a comeback but the thing that I believe your husband would enjoy is the cycling. A few different groups here and plenty of roads to ride.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
I don't know how close you want to be to Nashville, but I don't necessarily consider Clarksville to be "close" to Nashville. If you're working in Nashville, you might get tired of the daily drive to/from Clarksville. But if your job is in North Nashville, Clarksville wouldn't be too terribly far away.

I would also scratch off the newer suburbs from the list since they were developed around strip malls and big parking lots.

Here are some Nashville suburbs which have actual downtowns:

Charlotte
Dickson
Gallatin
Kingston Springs
Lebanon
Watertown

Murfreesboro does, too, but it's got over 100,000 residents and is probably more sprawly than Franklin although it's certainly more affordable than Franklin.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM

3,537 posts, read 5,115,208 times
As a Murfreesboro resident, although I love this city, it IS NOT bicycle friendly and would not meet the OP's needs.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM

957 posts, read 2,379,110 times
Finding an area that is bicycle friendly will be the challenge. Bicycle lanes don't really exists in the greater Nashville area for the most part. In and around Nashville you have the greenways is always a fun ride, but riding to the greenway may not be a good idea. If bicycling is a prime requirement, I would look near a greenway, and you can Google maps to see where they are, or choose a small, less populated town. Less population means less traffic and a lower chance of getting hit by a car.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM

165 posts, read 272,549 times
If he traded his bicycle for a motorcycle in Murfreesboro he would be fine

Last edited by DaveM123; 04-06-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: additional information

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM

84 posts, read 200,364 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far - we'll check them out.

I'm thinking with a midlife crisis looming a Harley might just be in his future :-)

We actually live out in the boonies right now and do not mind driving into the city. However, this time around we are looking for at least a small town to lay down roots. Doesn't need to be booming and no sprawl is a definite plus. Some place that has it's own identity (and malt shop - I really want a malt shop!

The rural roads are great for biking riding up here - but unfortunately you can only use them 4 months a year otherwise they are covered in snow!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:16 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,813,084 times
Just to be clear, I wasn't really suggesting Clarksville. I was mainly using that to describe how far our someone could go and still be within about a 45 minute commute to Nashville.

And when you're in Nashville, be sure to stop by Rotier's and get a milkshake.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 PM

12 posts, read 30,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far - we'll check them out.

I'm thinking with a midlife crisis looming a Harley might just be in his future :-)

We actually live out in the boonies right now and do not mind driving into the city. However, this time around we are looking for at least a small town to lay down roots. Doesn't need to be booming and no sprawl is a definite plus. Some place that has it's own identity (and malt shop - I really want a malt shop!

The rural roads are great for biking riding up here - but unfortunately you can only use them 4 months a year otherwise they are covered in snow!
I just wanted to say that you sound SO much like me and our situations sound so similar! Check out my recent post about my family moving down to Nashville (possibly).... We're moving from rural upstate NY. It is supposed to snow tomorrow! Maybe we'll bump into each other down there in the small town with the malt shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville