U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM

3,356 posts, read 3,063,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
I'm still under the impression that No one wants to give information about Brentwood.. like it's some type of up-ity area that no one will touch so to speak.

I understand that it is more upscale. But I just want to find information about it regarding family, and interests, schools etc.
Do a search on the word Brentwood and you will find hundreds of posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM

182 posts, read 186,589 times
I moved here from NYC. Do not move here without several visits. I thought I was ready and I still got hit bad with many many surprises. I deeply regret the years I invested here. The only payoff will be the real estate investment, since I bought in Hillsboro. There is still an undeniable bigotry towards Yankees, now made for worse by the mass development pushing many locals out. I had neighbors years that never spoke to me, then whined and complained when they had to move, because it turned out they were renters. Now the lot has a Mc Mansion on it and the neighborhood is scared by an ugly house. They also assumed I was from NYC as a native; I grew up semi rural in PA.

Someone made a comment about Downtown shutting down after 8 pm? HUH? They haven't been downtown in 20 years, the party only gets started around 10 nowadays, and rocks heavy until 2 am, 3 am on Fri Sat. Weekdays there are two major party shifts per day, 5 pm, and 10 pm. The heavy drinkers do both. This is a drinking town.

Someone needs to bust Nashville's bubble, and fast. Check the local websites of the 4 major news stations for a recent case of a house flip disaster. When sharks descend on a city to flip, the results are horrible rehabs all over town with all kinds of surprises behind the walls. Try getting work done for a reasonable price. Since it's such a hot market, they are charging through the roof, and 50% of the time the job is mediocre or left unfinished. I live in an un renovated house, thanks to endless rip offs, no shows, you name it. Now the land is worth more than the house.
The Crieve Hall/ Brentwood border is very central and entitles you to the better schools but you have to know the borders of the area! They are clear and defined, on side suburban, another, um, not so suburban... Brentwood Schools look more like College Campuses here. You have to consider who you want your kids to become and move to an area accordingly, like a co-op in Scarsdale....hint hint.
Brentwood? It's pure Suburbia. Fine for couples and families that want that lifestyle. Teens have no public transportation so they all have cars at 16, many of them driving luxury vehicles. There is virtually nothing there for older singles. I'm single and basically have become homebound; there is just nothing for me here. I've worked out in every gym, been to most of the bars(hate bars), and diet so have no desire to spend 200 dollars to sit in some trendy restaurant. You have to have a career job and local contacts to make living here meaningful; I retired here and it was a mistake. Have no idea where Ill go next.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 10,887,530 times
travelhound and his lunacy strikes again.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 AM

38 posts, read 39,022 times
Amid the hyperbole, travelhound has a point.

Nashville is not for everyone. Newcomers need to be VERY clear about their goals when researching, and they should visit here SEVERAL times.

Now that she has lived here a while, she feels that it does not, in fact, offer the lifestyle she wants, and the market is so hot now that she cannot get a leg in another part of town.

"Bad areas" will depend on who's making the definition.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,512,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I moved here from NYC. Do not move here without several visits. I thought I was ready and I still got hit bad with many many surprises. I deeply regret the years I invested here. The only payoff will be the real estate investment, since I bought in Hillsboro. There is still an undeniable bigotry towards Yankees, now made for worse by the mass development pushing many locals out. I had neighbors years that never spoke to me, then whined and complained when they had to move, because it turned out they were renters. Now the lot has a Mc Mansion on it and the neighborhood is scared by an ugly house. They also assumed I was from NYC as a native; I grew up semi rural in PA.

Someone made a comment about Downtown shutting down after 8 pm? HUH? They haven't been downtown in 20 years, the party only gets started around 10 nowadays, and rocks heavy until 2 am, 3 am on Fri Sat. Weekdays there are two major party shifts per day, 5 pm, and 10 pm. The heavy drinkers do both. This is a drinking town.

Someone needs to bust Nashville's bubble, and fast. Check the local websites of the 4 major news stations for a recent case of a house flip disaster. When sharks descend on a city to flip, the results are horrible rehabs all over town with all kinds of surprises behind the walls. Try getting work done for a reasonable price. Since it's such a hot market, they are charging through the roof, and 50% of the time the job is mediocre or left unfinished. I live in an un renovated house, thanks to endless rip offs, no shows, you name it. Now the land is worth more than the house.
The Crieve Hall/ Brentwood border is very central and entitles you to the better schools but you have to know the borders of the area! They are clear and defined, on side suburban, another, um, not so suburban... Brentwood Schools look more like College Campuses here. You have to consider who you want your kids to become and move to an area accordingly, like a co-op in Scarsdale....hint hint.
Brentwood? It's pure Suburbia. Fine for couples and families that want that lifestyle. Teens have no public transportation so they all have cars at 16, many of them driving luxury vehicles. There is virtually nothing there for older singles. I'm single and basically have become homebound; there is just nothing for me here. I've worked out in every gym, been to most of the bars(hate bars), and diet so have no desire to spend 200 dollars to sit in some trendy restaurant. You have to have a career job and local contacts to make living here meaningful; I retired here and it was a mistake. Have no idea where Ill go next.
All this sounds like is a generic negative review for any large city. You can find similar complaints about almost any city I'd imagine.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 PM

126 posts, read 285,572 times
The NewYorker - I was born and raised in/around NYC. Husband is from TN (met in NYC). We lived in Nashville for 2 years in late 90's. I was beyond shell-shocked, it feels like a different country compared to NYC (not in a negative way - just so very different. But, now with 2 kids, I am looking to relocate back to Nashville for all the reasons you mentioned and the issues in the tri-state area. One word of caution...you said "variety" in your OP. You can't compare it to NYC. Compared to NYC, there is none. It isn't really even urban compared to NYC but in its own way itnis. Do you know what I mean? But, I have seen how it has changed especially in the last 10 yrs with frequent visits and if you take it for what it is and embrace it, Nashville is pretty nice. Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or