Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM

17 posts, read 40,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeez View Post
They have a predetermined amount of slots for each subject area. Once they have have filled the spots they stop interviewing for them. In other words, if they expect to hire 6 teachers for English as a second language, and you are interviewing for English as a second language, and they have filled the 6 predetermined slots for that subject before your interview date; they will most likely cancel your interview. Sorry about that run-on sentence. Now if your secondary preference is in an area they still need fellows for, they may invite you to interview for that subject instead. And to answer your other question, you may be invited into the program before passing the praxis, but you WILL still need to pass the praxis in order to teach in the fall. I hope that helps.

WOAH--Weeez, are you sure?? Did that say that about the Praxis II at your interview because they have made it super super clear (I thought) that the April date is the last time you can take the Praxis and if you fail that's it--you can't start training in June, you must have passed prior to the June 7. I know there is another test date in the summer that would allow you, should you pass that, to be done/approved/passed/whatever they call it, by the time school starts.

This makes a huge difference though in terms of levels we need to stress, ya know?

By they way---I thought my Praxis (0014) was hard and it's my own fault for not preparing the way I should---make sure you actually do a practice test that is timed before you take the real one! (I ran out of time and had to guess on some...that has NEVER happened to me before on any test)

So ahh, am a little (lot) stressed thinking about the possibility of having to take it again in April and then not know the result and be left in a weird limbo.

Anyway, study study!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,137 times
I think Weez meant that there is a possibility that you will know you are invited to be a Fellow before you know if you have passed your Praxis test. And if you have not passed your Praxis test the first time, then you will have to take it again and pass it in order to be completely accepted. But, Yatheygowild, you are correct... you have to pass your Praxis before June. So, the earlier you have been accepted, the more chances you have to take the Praxis. From this point on, though, the only Praxis left before June is in April, so there is only one more opportunity. Those of us who were at the first interview event were invited to enroll in the program before we or NTF knew the results of our Praxis test. Also, we have had the opportunity to test three times if necessary. So, in summary, being accepted and beginning training with NTF in June is contingent upon passing your Praxis before the start of Summer Institute.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM

15 posts, read 37,401 times
I am having second thoughts about the program.

I cancelled my interview for the 27th.

I was selected to interview for Elementary. I took the Praxis 0014 last weekend and unlike the other poster I thought it was super easy and I believe I passed it with no problems.

I could try to resign up for an interview.

Why am I having second thoughts on all this?

I own my home here in another town and I do not wanna leave it. I hate that the fellows really do not have a guarantee on a job. I do not love big cities.

I feel torn. HELP

Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 18,385 times
tennwife-

Do you have a passion for teaching? What was your motivation for signing up in the first place? Was it just something to do or are you excited and eager to get into a school system that really really needs quality teachers?

Just consider your motivation. Once you have done that, think about everything you'd have to give up. Which side of the coin is more appealing?

So that you know, only four people did not get jobs last year. The reason they did not get jobs is because there was not a high demand for their specialty and they were not willing to be flexible. They would not consider alternative grade levels, subjects or areas (potentially outside of Nashville proper). Furthermore, things are shaking up in Metro schools right now. There is at least one school that is requiring EVERYONE to reapply if they want to teach there next year (even teachers who have been at the school forever...). It is an exciting time to get into education here in Nashville. Heck, it is an exciting time everywhere with the current administration.

To be clear--do not reschedule your interview if you don't think it is something you can be passionate about. That would be an injustice to you and the schools. This would be a career, not a job.

Anyway-there's a wall of text!! I hope that helps a little bit, and best of luck to you, no matter your decision.

Also!! I am taking the Middle School General exam in April (I hope to teach life sciences). Has anyone taken this one yet? Suggestions? Tips? Really great study guides?? I have recently taken the GRE, so I am in study mode from that one already, and I have about a million guides for it. Of course, that only covers vocab and math (what a stupid test?!?). So, yeah...

Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM

6 posts, read 13,684 times
Hey ViciousKicks,
I took that test last week, so I guess I can offer some advice. I would suggest taking a practice (most libraries have a database called "learning express library" on their websites that has all sorts of practice tests) and figuring out what your strengths and weaknesses are. I know my weak areas were science and math, so I got come math review books (algebra 1 and geometry) to review from. ETS also has a study book, but I thought it was way overwhelming so I basically just studied concepts/ideas I got wrong on my practice tests. Other people I know have suggested using junior high textbooks or SAT/ACT prep materials as those test alot of middle school/early high school concepts I guess? Hope this helps!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,330 times
I interviewed for NTF the first Sat in March. Has anyone that interviewed been notified of acceptance or non-acceptance into the 2010 Cohort? Just a little anxious.

Also, I took the Praxis II Middle School Content last Saturday. The English/Literature part was harder than I expected, but the Math, Science, and History were fairly easy.

Has anyone taken the Exceptional Children: Content?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 13,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glademom View Post
I interviewed for NTF the first Sat in March. Has anyone that interviewed been notified of acceptance or non-acceptance into the 2010 Cohort? Just a little anxious.

Also, I took the Praxis II Middle School Content last Saturday. The English/Literature part was harder than I expected, but the Math, Science, and History were fairly easy.

Has anyone taken the Exceptional Children: Content?
Hey,
I am studying through the exceptional children content knowledge right now. CliffsNotes offers a study book for 0353 that gives a pretty thorough overview of law, teaching methods etc. I dont know how it will work out but it seems pretty sufficient.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 18,385 times
Has anyone heard anything??

I have a friend here that interviewed with me, and neither of us have...

Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 8,330 times
I haven't heard anything either. I guess it will be one day next week.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 22,127 times
i interviewed march 6th as well and have heard nothing.... it is now past the 2 weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville