Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM

55 posts, read 182,616 times

Advertisements

I'm going to top this, and make my first post.

I'm considering moving to Nashville from NYC (yes, i fully expect to be shell-shocked lol). I went to art school, worked corporate design for a bit, and am now waitressing (graphic design is part of marketing, and no company wants extra pretty pictures when the economy goes sour- sorry, only slightly bitter). I really do want to teach- I taught swim lessons since 17, and when I graduated undergrad i had to give up for a "real job", and I miss it a lot.

However, my question is this. I'm seeing the extremely reasonable cost for school, especially to my NY-price minded eyes. BUT... is that the same for out of state students? I mean, I'll be living here by June- looking to move in the middle of January, actually. But is that long enough to establish residency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,991 times
I applied to Nashville Teaching Fellows for the 2010-2011 school year and was reading through this thread. I was accepted to interview and am considering interviewing but I am very concerned at the negatively concerning job prospects. How many of the 100 that went through the program ended up with jobs? I really would only feel comfortable doing this if employment was guarateed.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:32 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyCray View Post
I applied to Nashville Teaching Fellows for the 2010-2011 school year and was reading through this thread. I was accepted to interview and am considering interviewing but I am very concerned at the negatively concerning job prospects. How many of the 100 that went through the program ended up with jobs? I really would only feel comfortable doing this if employment was guarateed.

Employment is not in the least bit guaranteed. I started the process, but the more I found out, the more leary I became. Finally decided it was not worth it.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyCray View Post
I too am considering the program but am worried about the non-guaranteed employment. I went to the information session last month, and we were told that there are still a few Fellows who do not have full-time teaching jobs. Apparently they are subbing, but good luck trying to pay your rent on a subbing salary!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM

41 posts, read 134,098 times
For those fellows that had a position this semester, how did it go?

For those that are interested in the program, I have a little heads up. Some principals do not look very favorable upon fellows. It takes a lot to deal with inner city students. Some people that come from other backgrounds just don't have the skills to handle that. Some principals prefer teachers that completed traditional teacher preparation programs. Teachers coming from traditional programs complete all of their coursework and student teaching BEFORE they enter the classroom to teach full-time.

We had a fellow in my school this year, and they are already gone. They just couldn't handle it. So, that's just something to think about.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_twana View Post
For those fellows that had a position this semester, how did it go?

For those that are interested in the program, I have a little heads up. Some principals do not look very favorable upon fellows. It takes a lot to deal with inner city students. Some people that come from other backgrounds just don't have the skills to handle that. Some principals prefer teachers that completed traditional teacher preparation programs. Teachers coming from traditional programs complete all of their coursework and student teaching BEFORE they enter the classroom to teach full-time.

We had a fellow in my school this year, and they are already gone. They just couldn't handle it. So, that's just something to think about.
Excellent point. When I was in the application process, they wanted to place me in Special Education. I have had ZERO training in the Special Ed. area. My thought was that they expected me to go into a a classroom with special needs children and expect me to know what was best for them when I hadn't had one single ounce of experience in that area. Ridiculous!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 AM

41 posts, read 134,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Excellent point. When I was in the application process, they wanted to place me in Special Education. I have had ZERO training in the Special Ed. area. My thought was that they expected me to go into a a classroom with special needs children and expect me to know what was best for them when I hadn't had one single ounce of experience in that area. Ridiculous!
Right. They do that because of the shortage in Special Education, but it's not very effective. People go into it not having a CLUE of all that is involved. There is TONS of paperwork and legal ramifications with Special Education and IEP's. You would think they would at least want people with some type of training or experience in that area.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,180 times
Default Insight from the Interviewing Process

Interesting dialogue here. I must say that my experience with the program was not entirely positive. I interviewed with the program earlier this month and received a notice this week saying I had not been invited to participate in the program. Here are my concerns:

1) The program interviews WAY more people than they have spots. I just recently learned that they would interview 500-600 people for 100 spots.
2) However, a pre-condition for interviewing is signing up for the Praxis exam. You have to bring "proof" that you've registered to your interview. In my case, I paid nearly $200 to the ETS for test fees, processing fees, and study guides. I was trying to make myself an attractive interviewee. Now I feel like that money was a huge waste. (I happen to live locally so I didn't spend much on travel, but I can't imagine how the people who shelled out for plane tickets and hotels must feel.)
3) Interviewing takes place in a group setting. Most of the candidates I met at my event were outstanding. In fact, the candidate pool was so exemplary that I really don't see how any subjective "judging" could take place. To my knowledge, NTF has never made their selection criteria clear to the candidates at all. The candidates appear to be largely at the whim of one "selector." Selectors are current MNPS teachers, and there are so many of them involved that I don't see how there could be any semblance of parity across the selection process. I honestly think they could receive equally effective results in their recruiting process by putting the names of all 500 candidates in a hat and drawing out 100. It sure would save everybody a lot of pointless hassle.

All that said, the program appears to be a great deal both professionally and financially for those who are lucky enough to be selected. If teaching interests you as much as it did me, then go for it! I would just want any applicant to know up front that they will be spending a good chunk of money and time for a selection process that is really nothing more than a crap shoot.

If anyone from NTF happens to be reading, I would encourage them to do more screening on the front end in an effort to spare more candidates the time and expense. I don't think it's helping Nashville's image to be sending patronizing rejection letters to hundreds of people who went to great lengths to test and interview on their own dime. Eessshhhh. . .I'm sorry that sounds so abrasive and negative, but it needs to be said. To end on a more positive note, NTF is a great concept and we need more programs like it!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,180 times
I need to clarify: the third sentence under point #3 contains a typo and should read: "In fact, the candidate pool was so exemplary that I really don't see how any objective 'judging' could take place." Significantly changes the meaning.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 37,389 times
I have been invited to interview for NTF too.

Anyone have anything else to add about the program.

Did everyone from the 2009-2010 batch find jobs? Are they happy with their choices?

What is the interview process like?

They want me to interview to teach Elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville