U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 PM

43 posts, read 115,775 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in applying to this program, and was wondering if anyone else has done this, or is planning on it? I was wondering which partner university fellows will be attending to earn their credentials. Also, does anyone know where one teaching if selected into the program, as in which schools? Thanks for the help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,094,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourCarbon View Post
I'm interested in applying to this program, and was wondering if anyone else has done this, or is planning on it? I was wondering which partner university fellows will be attending to earn their credentials. Also, does anyone know where one teaching if selected into the program, as in which schools? Thanks for the help.

I do know teaching fellows are usually placed in the extreme inner city schools. In Nashville, that would be Places like Pearl Cohn, Whites Creek, Maplewood, Stratford, Antioch...

Another places is underperforming rural schools like Lake Co and Perry Co

Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I will just have to be more patient and wait for the program to give me more info when I'm actually in the program....

Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 46,426 times
I am currently in the program. It is WONDERFUL!!! The partnering school is Belmont and you will apply and interview for jobs that are considered high needs and low income. The purpose is to get good teachers and close the achievment gap in these schools. I would encourage you to apply when they begin to accept applications for next year. It is a very selective program. Out of 1500 applicants they only accept 100.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for responding!! I am so happy to finally hear some numbers regarding the selection of applicants/how many actually get in! I looked into Belmont's website, and it seems a bit pricey for the teaching certification... Does the program help cover the costs a little? Oh, also...How's the support for new teachers? I'll definitely apply early. Any additional tips/advice you could give me would be MUCH appreciated! Take care.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 11,019 times
It is a wonderful program! Do you like to work 16 to 20 hours per day? Do you enjoy children cursing you out? Then Nashville Teaching fellows program is right for you!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome1828 View Post
It is a wonderful program! Do you like to work 16 to 20 hours per day? Do you enjoy children cursing you out? Then Nashville Teaching fellows program is right for you!

I smell a troll.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 AM

144 posts, read 312,619 times
I just met someone who is currently in the training for the program - and does not have a placement yet. Considering schools are closing, I'm not sure how much of a guarantee there is to getting a job. She did say however, that they start with a placement list of high need schools, but now it is open to all Title 1 schools.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 AM

256 posts, read 277,235 times
I am eyeing what happens with this program with great interest. I am considering transitioning professionally into education and even applied (and was preliminarily accepted) into the NTF program. What struck me as amiss were:

1) They told me I had to teach Spanish, which I was not comfortable with (or felt capable to do) at all.
2) They wanted me to pay up front for two Praxis tests before even being formally admitted to the program
3) I would have had to quit my current job to enroll in the unpaid summer institute (oh, wait, they pay participants $2K at the conclusion of the program - though that payment might not come until September)
4) There is no guarantee of a job; you are still largely on your own to find a gig.
5) You still have to absorb the traditional costs of taking more college courses in education, eventually leading to a standard certification.

Based on those factors, I failed to see the benefit. I have spoken with a few other people who are from other states that have high-need systems. They said they find what Tennessee is doing nearly preposterous - that other states foot the bill to bring qualified, capable new teachers from non-traditional backgrounds to the discipline.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 AM

144 posts, read 312,619 times
My friend was not told that teaching Spanish was mandatory. In fact, the list of schools to which the teaching fellows can apply keeps expanding.

Paying for the Praxis tests up front is completely reasonable. You don't get accepted to college without first taking and paying for the ACT or SAT.

Training pay may be low, but as in your case, you do not have to accept the position. I can tell you from experience the training pay is equal to that offered in Los Angeles for the LAUSD District Intern program which is a similar credentialing program for non-Education degree holders.

The total cost for the masters at Belmont is going to be about $4,000 after the discount and grant available.

The program may not be for you, but many people find it highly beneficial. My friend is a new mom who wanted the career change to spend more time with her child. Yes, the training pay is low, but she is gaining education and experience to help her change careers to one that works better for her family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville