Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM

19 posts, read 33,009 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating from NJ; not sure where yet, but everyone speaks so highly of Nashville. I am spoiled here because we have it all in NJ...professional sports stadium/complex, beaches, NY City, theatre, great schools, no crime, skiing, mountains, water sports, camping...and spectacular restaurants. All that being said, I just can't afford it any longer. Reagrding TN, I have visited Johnson City but I seen a lot of drugs in that area. I heard great things, and not so great things about Chatanooga, but all good things about Nashville. I have 3 kids, spouse, and mom. We are looking for a nice, clean, safe area with plenty to do for the kids....wife and mom like shopping. I am in sales, so I don't think work would be an issue, but you never know in this economy. I might be able to transfer with my company. Any ideas on areas of TN? gcambeis@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
I live north of Nashville and am originally from NY & CT.

We really like it here.

We don't have kids, but if we did, I would buy a home in Hendersonville, TN. There's lots of shopping (new shopping centers & old) for your wife and mom. From what I've heard, the school system there is very good.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
The only skiing I've heard of in TN is Cookeville (or was it Crossville) and Gatlinburg. In recent decades TN hasn't had much snow. They have artificial snow in Gatlinburg, I'm pretty sure, probably nowhere else in the state. I've never skiied in TN, but I have in NC at Maggie Valley and Boone, which are maybe 4~5 hrs from Nashville, 1 1/2~2 from Knoxville. It's hit and miss in the south getting decent conditions, hard to plan ahead. BTW in the winter of '59-'60, Nashville over to East TN got around 60 inches of snow total. Now they get 4-5 inches a year in Middle TN it seems. I was a 9 year old Nashville kid and was astounded and ecstatic at all the snow that winter so long ago. Since I was so young I had no cognizance for statistics, but I saw a couple of years ago the Knoxville total for that year and it was the record.

Last edited by groovamos; 06-03-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I really don't ski at all, but it's just the idea of all there is to do around here, and how safe it is for a family ( the area I live in anyway )

I have heard many positives about Hendersonville...thanks!

Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcambeis View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I really don't ski at all, but it's just the idea of all there is to do around here, and how safe it is for a family ( the area I live in anyway )

I have heard many positives about Hendersonville...thanks!

I am a Hendersonvillian so feel free to message me with any questions.

I love this area but I did notice on your original post that you mentioned shopping. While the Hendersonville/Gallatin/Rivergate area offers a lot of choice for stores I would say that Franklin/CoolSprings/Brentwood is the mecca for shopping in Middle TN. So you might check that area out as well!

In Hendersonville we have a very new outdoor lifestyle center called The Streets ofndian Lake. http://www.streetsofindianlake.com/default.asp (broken link)
This is a really nice development that has a town square type feel. In the middle is a large park that hosts a Farmer's Market on Saturdays and a Summer Concert series during the evenings.

Big Box type stores can be found at Indian Lake Marketplace and at the Glenbrook development off of New Shackle Island Rd. (Target, Kohls, Belk, World Market, Home Depot and others)

Rivergate Mall is about 10 minutes away in Nashville and has Macy's, Sears, Dillards, and JC Penney as anchors.

There's a new development in Gallatin (near Hendersonville) called Kennesaw Farms that looks like it will have a retail center similar to the Streets of Indian Lake.
Home

I saw that you mentioned Water Sports and Hendersonville is great for that! The city is spread out over several peninsulas of Old Hickory Lake so there are plenty of recreational opportunities on the water.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 06-03-2009 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 04:49 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Thinking of relocating from NJ; not sure where yet, but everyone speaks so highly of Nashville. I am spoiled here because we have it all in NJ...professional sports stadium/complex, beaches, NY City, theatre, great schools, no crime, skiing, mountains, water sports, camping...and spectacular restaurants. All that being said, I just can't afford it any longer. Reagrding TN, I have visited Johnson City but I seen a lot of drugs in that area. I heard great things, and not so great things about Chatanooga, but all good things about Nashville. I have 3 kids, spouse, and mom. We are looking for a nice, clean, safe area with plenty to do for the kids....wife and mom like shopping. I am in sales, so I don't think work would be an issue, but you never know in this economy. I might be able to transfer with my company. Any ideas on areas of TN? gcambeis@yahoo.com
No crime in NJ? What fictitious part of NJ do you live in? I was born and raised in Clifton, NJ and moved to Nashville in 94. I don't exactly remember NJ as the shangri-la you paint it as.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
No crime in NJ? What fictitious part of NJ do you live in? I was born and raised in Clifton, NJ and moved to Nashville in 94. I don't exactly remember NJ as the shangri-la you paint it as.
Crime has become rampant in a large part of Clifton these days. It's turned into a mini ghetto. No joke. Regarding the OP: I'd also like to know where the great skiing in NJ is located? What great mountains? Spectacular restaurants? Please enlighten this lifelong NJ resident. Sounds to me like their heart is in Jersey and they wouldn't be happy relocating elsewhere strictly for economic reasons. We, on the other hand are hoping to relocate because the state has gone down the drain. The corruption and quality of life becomes worse each day.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 PM

Excellent VIVELAFRANCE - Thanks so much!

Steve - Have you ever heard of Red Bank/Middletown area of Monmouth County? Absolutely stunningly georgeous area with NO CRIME - trust me...I have lived here my entire life. Regardless, how do you like Nashville?

Kewlguy - when I mention skiing, mountains, etc - I meant that all are close by. Retaurants? I am 60 minutes from Manhattan which has some of the best restaurants in th world! Yes, I love this area, but it's all I know. I agree with the corruption which is one of the reasons I am leaving. It's still a very safe and pretty area though whether I stay or go.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
Crime has become rampant in a large part of Clifton these days. It's turned into a mini ghetto. No joke. Regarding the OP: I'd also like to know where the great skiing in NJ is located? What great mountains? Spectacular restaurants? Please enlighten this lifelong NJ resident. Sounds to me like their heart is in Jersey and they wouldn't be happy relocating elsewhere strictly for economic reasons. We, on the other hand are hoping to relocate because the state has gone down the drain. The corruption and quality of life becomes worse each day.
I hear you about Clifton. It's a real shame because growing up there in the 70's and 80's was GREAT!

Last edited by Steve_TN; 06-03-2009 at 10:17 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Excellent VIVELAFRANCE - Thanks so much!

Steve - Have you ever heard of Red Bank/Middletown area of Monmouth County? Absolutely stunningly georgeous area with NO CRIME - trust me...I have lived here my entire life. Regardless, how do you like Nashville?

Kewlguy - when I mention skiing, mountains, etc - I meant that all are close by. Retaurants? I am 60 minutes from Manhattan which has some of the best restaurants in th world! Yes, I love this area, but it's all I know. I agree with the corruption which is one of the reasons I am leaving. It's still a very safe and pretty area though whether I stay or go.
NO crime in Red Bank/Middletown? That is absurd. There may be "less" crime, but nowhere in the world is there NO crime. I think it's time you took off those rose-colored glasses. Here is a link to a page right here in the City-Data website. Please read it and then tell me there is NO crime in Red Bank. http://www.city-data.com/city/Red-Bank-New-Jersey.html

Honestly, I would NOT recommend Nashville to you because you will most likely be one of the transplants who moves here and constantly draws a comparison between Nashville and NJ and how horrible it is here and how great it is in NJ. We don't appreciate or take kindly to that kind of attitude or behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville