Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 AM

60 posts, read 189,800 times

Advertisements

Looking at the Stonewood/Stewart Springs/Stewart Creek F. and surrounding area. Are these good areas to live? What about schools? How are the roads in the winter? (little concerned about the twists and turns). Anyone know anything about Smyrna recreation baseball? Is it decent? Would that be the closest to these areas? What about things to do in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 60,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2think View Post
Looking at the Stonewood/Stewart Springs/Stewart Creek F. and surrounding area. Are these good areas to live? What about schools? How are the roads in the winter? (little concerned about the twists and turns). Anyone know anything about Smyrna recreation baseball? Is it decent? Would that be the closest to these areas? What about things to do in the area?
Hi One2think!

Smyrna is a great area... close to Nashville, close to Murfreesboro so there is lots to do! Winter in Middle Tennessee is pretty mild (depending on where you are coming from), when the roads get slick, a lot of people stay home! Hope this helps!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,045 times
I can try to help you out a bit here. I live across the street from the Stewarts Creek Farms subdivision and my property backs up to Stewart Springs. I have close friends in both those subdivisions as well as Stonewood and Arlington just down the road. Almaville Road is very twisty, but it is a state road so it receives salt/brine during cold weather - you have nothing to worry about there. Even Burnt Knob Road, leading from Stewarts Creek Farms into Murfreesboro is salted/brined. Winters are mild here and we only get a few snowfalls each season, fortunately. As with any icy road, you have to watch for black ice and bridges, but these roads are no worse than city streets in inclement weather.

The Stewarts Creek schools are great and I wouldn't have my kids anywhere else. In my opinion, you want to stay OUT of the Stewartsboro school zone. A good friend of mine moved to Stewarts Creek Farms last year because she was zoned to Stewartsboro and she wanted out, and she's a teacher with Rutherford County. I'm active in the PTO at Stewarts Creek Elementary and I know of many parents who pulled their kids out of private school and moved to our school zone to get them at SCE.

There are tons to do in Smyrna and Murfreesboro and this particular location puts us very close to Williamson County and Franklin/Brentwood via 840 - about 30 minutes one way - which just opens the options for recreation and entertainment. You'd be hard pressed to find yourself bored here.

The Smyrna recreation leagues would be the closest, but you certainly have the option to join Murfreesboro leagues, also. I have no experience with baseball, sorry. I do know that the city of Smyrna is planning on building a new recreation park across from the Stewarts Creek Schools complex. The first phase will be baseball parks and the final phase includes a recreation center with a public pool. It will have greenways/walking trails, tennis courts and soccer fields in addition to the baseball facilities. Construction was slated to start last fall, but has been pushed back due to the economy. Hopefully, they will get the ball rolling on it soon!

If you have any particular questions about Stewarts Creek schools or the subdivisions you mentioned, feel free to send me a private message or just post here and I'll be happy to help as much as I can. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I can try to help you out a bit here. I live across the street from the Stewarts Creek Farms subdivision and my property backs up to Stewart Springs. I have close friends in both those subdivisions as well as Stonewood and Arlington just down the road. Almaville Road is very twisty, but it is a state road so it receives salt/brine during cold weather - you have nothing to worry about there. Even Burnt Knob Road, leading from Stewarts Creek Farms into Murfreesboro is salted/brined. Winters are mild here and we only get a few snowfalls each season, fortunately. As with any icy road, you have to watch for black ice and bridges, but these roads are no worse than city streets in inclement weather.

The Stewarts Creek schools are great and I wouldn't have my kids anywhere else. In my opinion, you want to stay OUT of the Stewartsboro school zone. A good friend of mine moved to Stewarts Creek Farms last year because she was zoned to Stewartsboro and she wanted out, and she's a teacher with Rutherford County. I'm active in the PTO at Stewarts Creek Elementary and I know of many parents who pulled their kids out of private school and moved to our school zone to get them at SCE.

There are tons to do in Smyrna and Murfreesboro and this particular location puts us very close to Williamson County and Franklin/Brentwood via 840 - about 30 minutes one way - which just opens the options for recreation and entertainment. You'd be hard pressed to find yourself bored here.

The Smyrna recreation leagues would be the closest, but you certainly have the option to join Murfreesboro leagues, also. I have no experience with baseball, sorry. I do know that the city of Smyrna is planning on building a new recreation park across from the Stewarts Creek Schools complex. The first phase will be baseball parks and the final phase includes a recreation center with a public pool. It will have greenways/walking trails, tennis courts and soccer fields in addition to the baseball facilities. Construction was slated to start last fall, but has been pushed back due to the economy. Hopefully, they will get the ball rolling on it soon!

If you have any particular questions about Stewarts Creek schools or the subdivisions you mentioned, feel free to send me a private message or just post here and I'll be happy to help as much as I can. Good luck!
I was waiting for Mary on this one! This local knows her stuff!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Wow, thanks for the info everybody! Mary, do you know where exactly they are planning on putting that park in relation to the schools? I had heard *somewhere* (can't remember) that they are planning on building a high school near there which would make it similar to the blackman schools complex.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Yes, a high school is slated to be built in 2012, I believe, across from the elementary and middle schools. This school complex will be more compact than Blackman since all 3 school have a dedicated parcel and share a main access road. It's going to be fabulous when it's completed!

The City of Smyrna already owns property right across from the schools entrance on Morton Road. I think it's 80 acres or so and will make a great and very convenient park once it's built. I can't wait! It's only about 5 miles from my door to the school so a park in this area will be well received with all the development we've experienced lately. If you drive down Morton Road, you'll see signs posted along the fence across from the school entrance and new fire station that it is City of Smyrna property. It will be very easy to walk to the park from school and vice versa.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I was waiting for Mary on this one! This local knows her stuff!!!!
Thanks for the pat on the back, my friend!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Wonderful info! Thanks... This whole thing has been kind of hard. I also heard that SCE used to have about 700-800 kids but now a lot less due to a new school opening, is that correct? Do you know anything about preschools in the area? Not daycares...Looking for something that would take kids from age 18 month or 2yrs to like 4 yrs.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2think View Post
Wonderful info! Thanks... This whole thing has been kind of hard. I also heard that SCE used to have about 700-800 kids but now a lot less due to a new school opening, is that correct? Do you know anything about preschools in the area? Not daycares...Looking for something that would take kids from age 18 month or 2yrs to like 4 yrs.
Your information is correct - SCE had 906 students at the beginning of April. When school resumes in the fall, we should have around 725 to 750 due to the opening of Brown's Chapel Elementary. This school is also drawing students from Blackman Elementary, which is so overcrowded they are using lots of portable classrooms, as well Stewartsboro Elementary, also overcrowded. SCE's capacity is 1000 and we've yet to reach that in the 3 years we've been open. Our parent volunteer base is very strong so our school enjoys quite a few more perks and amenities than some others in the county, even with our smaller student count.

Most all Mom's Day Out and PreK programs are church based. My 2 kids both attended MDO and preschool programs at Lifepoint Church, formerly First Baptist Church of Smyrna, which is only about 15 minutes away from your target subdivisions on Hazelwood/Old Almaville Rd. past the new Publix near I-24. The preK program is very strong and taught by those holding master's degrees and higher and is just 4 days a week, from 9 to 2. Smyrna Church of Christ is a farther drive deeper into Smyrna and in a much older facility. My daughter went there for 1 year of MDO until we got in at Lifepoint and we were satisfied with the experience. The MDO hours are the same as Lifepoints, either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday 9 to 2, buit the preK program is 5 days, 9 to 2. A few other churches have MDO programs, but these are the 2 I'm most familiar with. A new facility just opened - Community Christian Day School - and is run by the woman who was the director at Lifepoint, but it is more of a full time daycare facility and much more expensive. There is also Lancaster Christian, a prek to 12th grade private christian school.

Home (http://www.smyrnachurchofchrist.org/smyrnachristianschool/scs.htm - broken link)

I'm New

CCDS Home Page (http://www.communitychristiandayschool.com/Public/publicpage.aspx - broken link)

Lancaster Christian Academy (http://lancasterchristianacademy.com/ - broken link)

Path: Home->Getting Involved->Mothers Day Out (http://www.fpcsmyrna.org/html/mothers_day_out.html - broken link)

So where are guys moving from? Any timeframe or is this just speculative?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,330 times
Default New Smyrna park and High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Yes, a high school is slated to be built in 2012, I believe, across from the elementary and middle schools. This school complex will be more compact than Blackman since all 3 school have a dedicated parcel and share a main access road. It's going to be fabulous when it's completed!

The City of Smyrna already owns property right across from the schools entrance on Morton Road. I think it's 80 acres or so and will make a great and very convenient park once it's built. I can't wait! It's only about 5 miles from my door to the school so a park in this area will be well received with all the development we've experienced lately. If you drive down Morton Road, you'll see signs posted along the fence across from the school entrance and new fire station that it is City of Smyrna property. It will be very easy to walk to the park from school and vice versa.
I had read your information on the new park being built...I was wondering what was going on in that area cause I've noticed them cleaning it out and it's lookin pretty good...I live off of Morton on Zenith ct. and everyday I pass by I notice a little more being done to it...are they trying to build the park by the end of this year? I love stewarts creek schools also...I have a daughter there now in 2nd grade and my son just left their and went to high school...Thank you for the info on the new park and high school!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville