Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM

14 posts, read 55,907 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to Nashville in a little over a month in preparation for law school and am currently looking for housing. I found a listing for a furnished 1 bedroom riverfront condo on 1st ave. for rent at a good price and am wondering how the area is in terms of general safety, liveliness, proximity to grocery stores and other essentials, and access to Vanderbilt. If anyone has insight into these issues or can provide general feedback on the area I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM

Just to follow-up, I realize someone posted a similar thread but it seems like it quickly devolved into discussion of other parts of town so if anyone can comment on the 1st ave. area in particular that would be cool. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 AM

116 posts, read 439,979 times
I can't comment as to the safety of the area, but I can help a little with some of your other questions.
It should take you around 10 mins to get to Vandy at off peak hours. I'd say making the trip during peak hours will add another 10-15 mins.
I think the closest grocery store would be the H.G.Hill market on Church St, which depending on where along 1st you are, could be only a 4 block trip. I believe there is also a Kroger in the Germantown area.
As far as liveliness goes, you're a block away from 2nd Ave; so you'll be right in the middle of it. East Nashville, and West End/Vandy are short drives away. You'll have plenty to do.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM

144 posts, read 465,466 times
The area wouldn't provide the amenities (or the price tag) of the Vanderbilt area, but it would be very convenient for you if you clerked or interned anywhere. The majority of law firms in Nashville are concentrated between 2nd and 4th Aves due to the proximity to the courts.

If the economics are your main concern, yes I would move there. It's safe enough. There is entertainment nearby (granted, mostly touristy). It wouldn't take very long to get to Vandy. It would take even less time to get to most law firms or courts.

If living near your peers and amenities directed toward your peers is more of a concern, I'd keep looking. I know a lot of people who have really cheap rentals in Sylvan Park. The best rental deals though are usually the ones you find driving by. It's usually some old person who has no idea their house/duplex/whatever is worth so much now. Some of the property management companies have those deals as well.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to navigate the MTA's website but am having trouble with the trip planner feature. Does anyone know if there is a bus that runs near 1st Ave. that has a stop near Vanderbilt? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM

116 posts, read 439,979 times
It has been several years since I've ridden the bus, but I don't think there is one. You'll probably have to take one bus to the music city central station, then transfer to another. There are several buses that run nearby different parts of 1st. Depending on which side of Vandy you're going to, you'll either want the #3 down West End or the #7 down 21st (Hillsboro).

Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM

48 posts, read 160,468 times
I like that little area. Cons for the units are 1) they do not have washer/dryers so you have to use a community one that has a large screen TV and is very clean. 2)it's very near the railroad tracks and the trains do come through at all hours. The pros are that it's very bikable to downtown, buses are plentiful, and Vandy is relatively convenient. Most Vandy and Belmont students frequent some of the same restaurants and bars along the Hillsboro Village/West End/ Belmont corridor and mostly you will not find that same subset of people on the river. However, the overall remodel on the condos were good a few years ago and it's a pretty nice setting, much cheaper than rentals in the Vandy area, and easy proximity to a lot of a law firms downtown if you will be clerking. Yazoo (Nashville's microbrewery) is nearby and it's convenient to East Nashville and Germantown which have some fun restaurants and bars.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I decided not to take it, mainly for the lack of proximity to student resources that some posters have commented on. I am looking into a place on the 3800 block of West End Ave. If anyone has comments on that area I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville