Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:59 AM

19 posts, read 68,232 times

Advertisements

I love the town I live in. My whole family lives here, attends the same church, my kids go to school with their cousins. First we noticed the town changing. Not the small hometown it use to be. Now with soo many people loosing their factory jobs, the real estate market is dead! I have never seen soo many foreclosed homes. Not lower priced either, some in in the 300k (which is a pretty nice home here) My friends just sold their home $8,000 less than what they bought it here 5 years ago. We want to build our dream home and have wanted to for years now, but with the economy the way it is, it's scary to build when people are loosing on their homes. Also, construction here has stopped! New subs sitting with only a few homes built. Anyways, my husband works out of state from March until September and he is getting sick of traveling so much and if we were South he wouldn't have to travel as much. I have lived here my whole life and have never seen it soo depressing. I have a good majority of my friends that there husbands are on the road just to work. Now the state of Michigan is in soo much debt that our schools are taking major cuts!!! We will find out next week how bad it will be. Also, business all over are closing their doors. I'm not sure if it will turn around or not, so I guess I just don't want to stay around and loose more on our home and watch our schools go down. It is a sad situation! And then throw the winters in there...so if you don't have to be here, Why stay?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM

I love the town I live in! My whole family lives here, attends the same church, my kids go to school with their cousins. First we noticed the town changing. Not the small hometown it use to be. Now with soo many people loosing their factory jobs, the real estate market is dead! I have never seen soo many foreclosed homes. Not lower priced either, some in in the 300k (which is a pretty nice home here) My friends just sold their home $8,000 less than what they bought it here 5 years ago. We want to build our dream home and have wanted to for years now, but with the economy the way it is, it's scary to build when people are loosing on their homes. Also, construction here has stopped! New subs sitting with only a few homes built. Anyways, my husband works out of state from March until September and he is getting sick of traveling so much and if we were South he wouldn't have to travel as much. I have lived here my whole life and have never seen it soo depressing. I have a good majority of my friends that there husbands are on the road just to work. Now the state of Michigan is in soo much debt that our schools are taking major cuts!!! We will find out next week how bad it will be. Also, business all over are closing their doors. I'm not sure if it will turn around or not, so I guess I just don't want to stay around and loose more on our home and watch our schools go down. It is a sad situation! And then throw the winters in there...so if you don't have to be here, why stay?!?!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Sorry for the double post. I'm new at this. If my 9 year old would have been here to help me, that would have never happened! It's amazing how they know computers better than parents do these days!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:29 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,778,449 times
Well whatever you do, good luck on your decisions. Just take things easy, make sure all the ducks are lined up in a row, and make the move worthwhile. I will say that it is almost ironic these days with regards to the current trends in population migration. In the past, people in the South has very few options: Either you were into farming or the textile industry. So many people moved up North ( Detroit,NY,Chicago etc) to pursue work. Now the trend has reversed and everyone seems to want to move down here.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,382 times
We are trying to "ride it out" ~ its just getting "old". Its just so much research in regards to moving its really overwhelming. Will we like it? How will our child do? What if he hates it? What if he doesnt do well with the adjustment? Etc etc etc.....

Raidergirl, I can definately relate to what you have said. Your screen name makes me think you may live in the town I grew up in.

Silverbox, thanks for the well-wishes.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Yes, it pretty much gives it away! It's a great town, I hate to see it change and I hate to move away! I just have to make a decision based on whats best for my girls future. I called a realtor today...just want to see how much my house has depreciated in 4 years!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 45,090 times
my husband's grandmother died two years ago, and they are still trying to sell her house that's in the heart of romeo, his whole family is from there....and as for appreciation, we bought our house outside of murfreesboro 3 yrs ago, and may be relocating to miss. for nissan, and our home will profit us over 100k...it's a 2800sqft home on over an acre in a subdivision 9 mi from nissan in smyrna...i LOVE this area! i would like more acreage, it's definitely growing...anyone with land down 231 towards lebanon will eventually make a killing and certainly anyone with land around any 840 exits.....but RAIDERGIRL...i suppose it depends on WHAT it is employment wise that you'll be doing as to what area you'll want to look into...i personally love murfreesboro, the OUTER parts of...you get into more land, it's minutes from town that has alsmost anything to do shopwise, it has the green way which i believe you could walk/bike on into nashville...depending on what part of m'boro you're in, you're only like 20-25 minutes from downtown...clarksville seems to be in the news a lot, and usually for nothing good, and it always seems tornado's hit there...nolensville, i wouldn't move there...maybe 15 yrs ago, but not now..but then again, probably paradise compared to where you were in michigan...but unless i missed the line on employment, it really depends on what you're doing as to where to start looking...oh, and murfreesboro also has like 14+ dance studios along with like 5+ gymnastic studios

Last edited by parrotts5; 04-22-2007 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 PM

35 posts, read 151,788 times
So you recommend working in Gallatin and living in Franklin? That seems like a pretty huge commute isn't it?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM

32 posts, read 134,747 times
I always recommend people rent for at least 6 months, so they can explore areas further before buying. I know it's a hassle, but I think it is well worth it. We did that, and it gave me an opportunity to explore, and learn about the school districts. Fairview might be a nice place for you. It's country feel, but is in Williamson county - great great schools. It wouldnt' be as expensive as Franklin or Brentwood either.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:24 AM

My husband worked in Gallatin last year and just liked the whole area in general.
He just wants to move South. So I thought I would research the area. The only thing he mentioned regarding area was to look on the East side of Nashville.
So thanks for everyones advice on towns. I'm really anxious to visit and see first hand all the towns that everyone has suggested. And to experience the southern hospitality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville