Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

My wife just got promoted at work, and it involves a move to Nashville (Smyrna to be exact). We've been looking for an Apartment for 2 weeks. Neither of us have every been to Nashville, so all we have to go on is what we find on the internet.

Every single property we look at is said to either have horrible crime rates, infestation problems or either extremely poor management or quality. Some have just been outrageously priced. So I'm looking for some advice from people in the area. We've been using a combination of several rental websites, map sites and review sites and that obviously hasn't been working.

We're looking for an area that is pretty safe. I understand crime is everywhere but we want to be in an area we can feel safe. Looking for a nice area, we enjoy nature. So natural surroundings are definitely a plus if possible. Hopefully in an area that's not overpriced. Looking for 2 Bed, 2 Bath hopefully under $900. Definitely under $1000. We would prefer not to have to commute more then 30min to Smyrna for work either.

I realize I'm probably asking too much, but we're hopefully we can find a place. Are there any areas anyone can recommend, possibly any apartments or townhomes.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 AM

137 posts, read 630,258 times
You've been "promoted" to work at Smyrna from where ?

Last edited by user123455; 06-22-2009 at 12:45 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 AM

144 posts, read 465,667 times
Apartments in general seem to have higher crime rates and infestation problems. There are a lot of starter homes for rent in this climate (homeowners moved up, but never got the house sold or chose not to because they owed more than it was worth). You can have a realtor check what single family homes are for rent in your price range. You can also contact some property management companies. There are a lot of houses for rent and for sale right now. Smyrna should have a lot to offer you in your price range.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM

56 posts, read 144,267 times
You should use a relocation Realtor. Someone that specializes in exactly your situation. They can find you a number of areas to consider. Have you tried rent.com? They usually have reviews. Clean, safe apartments are not the cheap ones either. Good luck on your move.

Welcome to Nashville!!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:38 PM

156 posts, read 451,181 times
If the work is to be in Smyrna, you may be better of renting a house in Smyrna. Many times a house is cheaper to rent than an apartment, and you get the whole house to yourself

Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
Hilarious!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:38 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
What a lovely, immature reaction to a poster looking for advice. Ditto to your constant cohort, BP300.

Smyrna is a perfectly safe place to look for housing as is Murfreesboro, which is a bit southwest, and you can find a variety of housing options in either place. You *do* want to shy away from Antioch, which is east of Smyrna.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:31 PM

56 posts, read 144,267 times
I understood the OP wanted to live in Nashville and commute to Smyrna, which is the opposite of what the rest of us would normally do. I hate to commute!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 PM

137 posts, read 630,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
What a lovely, immature reaction to a poster looking for advice. Ditto to your constant cohort, BP300.

Smyrna is a perfectly safe place to look for housing as is Murfreesboro, which is a bit southwest, and you can find a variety of housing options in either place. You *do* want to shy away from Antioch, which is east of Smyrna.
Antioch is east of Smyrna ????

Also stay away from Lavergne which is north-east of Smyrna.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,045 times
Oops! I'm directionally challenged. I guess that's what happens when one lives anywhere but fabulous, wonderful and oh, so prestigious Williamson County!

Antioch is West of Smyrna and M'boro is southeast. If the OP wants to live outside of Smyrna and stay under a 30 minute commute during rush hour traffic, his options are pretty slim. Antioch (avoid) Lavergne (avoid) Murfreesboro, south Mt. Juliet area (depends on where the work is) or live in Smyrna proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville