U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-22-2009, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 14,744 times
Default Moving without a job ~ Advice???

Hey everyone, first of all, thanks so much for the help you've given in my recent posts! Yet again, I'm coming back to city-data for some wisdom from the experts!!!

Here it goes: I've been planning to move to Nashville for a long time because of my interest in music, and the general lack of any musical interest or opportunity near my current home on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

This past weekend, I visited Nashville for the 3rd time, absolutely had a blast, and signed an application for a one bedroom at Cherry Creek apartments in Hermitage (lease to start in mid-August).

All I lack now is a JOB!!! I have found that my resume's and calls have generally been ignored or shot down due to my Virginia address, so I'd like to start applying to some positions again with my future Hermitage address. I graduated from the University of Virginia in 2008 with a bachelor's in both English and History, and have tons of experience in retail and customer service. I've also worked for US Fish & Wildlife for 3 years, as well as a local municipality in the Planning and Zoning Department for the past year.

Does anyone have advice on what industries are currently hiring in Nashville? All I need is something to pay the rent (around $715 / mo) -- I live alone, no pets. Could you recommend any good headhunters or temp agencies in the area for my qualifications? Are jobs waiting tables, etc in high traffic areas hard to come by? Is Opryland a good place to work?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...out of state job hunting has become a very difficult task for me! Help!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-22-2009, 03:15 PM

156 posts, read 277,142 times
When I moved to Murfreesboro last year, I had a hard time getting any call backs with an out of area phone number - even from places like Wal-Mart, Publix and Kroger.

The job market around the country is rough. Do you have a polished resume that you are able to send out? Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, the companies have the upper hand and can pick from what they want.

Keep trying - keep checking all websites available, such as Craigslist, Career Builder, etc. Have you also been checking the local papers websites in the Nashville area, such as Tennessean?

Unread 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM

48 posts, read 106,629 times
Jobs Nashville Employment - this is the chamber's site.

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM

56 posts, read 80,015 times
Glad to hear you had a great visit to Nashville. Congratulations on finding your new apt. Good luck with you job search. Here's a great link for some jobs.

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Unread 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 14,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher2Be View Post
When I moved to Murfreesboro last year, I had a hard time getting any call backs with an out of area phone number - even from places like Wal-Mart, Publix and Kroger.

The job market around the country is rough. Do you have a polished resume that you are able to send out? Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, the companies have the upper hand and can pick from what they want.

Keep trying - keep checking all websites available, such as Craigslist, Career Builder, etc. Have you also been checking the local papers websites in the Nashville area, such as Tennessean?
Absolutely! Craigslist, Career Builder / The Tennessean online have been my main sources for job hunting, as well as the Gaylord Entertainment website, and USA Jobs for any nearby National Park Service or F&W jobs (Thanks Branch Water!). My resume has been polished and perfected as much as possible!

GoGreenNashville: The NashvilleJobsLink is a great site I came across long ago and totally forgot about. Thank you for the reminder!

Would you suggest trying to change my phone number (through Verizon Wireless) to a 615 area code? I guess that could cause some hesitance from employers even with my new Nashville address?

Unread 06-23-2009, 06:41 AM

231 posts, read 542,262 times
Stay positive and focused. It took me 6 months to get a "steady job", but I finally got a good one....

Unread 06-23-2009, 07:00 AM

631 posts, read 1,544,620 times
Something you can do now if you have cell service, is switch to a Tennessee phone number before you move.
That way the number won't be out of state or long distance for them to call you.

We switched over a couple of weeks ago.

Unread 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM

145 posts, read 312,278 times
I hope you have decent cash reserves or a relative that can bail you out financially if you run out of money. I live here, have abundant experience, and am having the hardest time finding a job following a layoff. Even applied to things that would have me considerably "under employed" and am being ignored. This is a rough, rough job market right now.

Beware of all the perception that the grass is greener in the Nashville area. It's not. The optimistic ones are the ones that have steady employment. Talk to the ones that are struggling....well educated, experienced, intelligent, yet still having the hardest time surviving here (raising hand).

Also be very, very cautious about job postings on Craigslist. A vast majority of the postings are by scam artists. They will respond asking you to complete a survery, follow a link, etc. Then they steal your personal information and before you know it, you are a victim.

Last edited by MiddleTNresident; 06-23-2009 at 07:27 AM..

Unread 06-23-2009, 08:52 AM

297 posts, read 685,859 times
UVA is a great school. I don't think you should have much trouble getting a job here.

Unread 06-23-2009, 08:59 AM

738 posts, read 920,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
I hope you have decent cash reserves or a relative that can bail you out financially if you run out of money. I live here, have abundant experience, and am having the hardest time finding a job following a layoff. Even applied to things that would have me considerably "under employed" and am being ignored. This is a rough, rough job market right now.

Beware of all the perception that the grass is greener in the Nashville area. It's not. The optimistic ones are the ones that have steady employment. Talk to the ones that are struggling....well educated, experienced, intelligent, yet still having the hardest time surviving here (raising hand).

Also be very, very cautious about job postings on Craigslist. A vast majority of the postings are by scam artists. They will respond asking you to complete a survery, follow a link, etc. Then they steal your personal information and before you know it, you are a victim.

Great post. I wouldn't move here or anywhere for that matter without a job lined up first. There are 1000's competing for the same jobs around here. It's on the news all the time about how bad the job market is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville