U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,269 times

Advertisements

I am considering retiring to 1 of these 3 towns Pleasantview, Joelton or Kingston Springs.

I am leaning toward Pleasant view or Joelton because I-24 would be convenient to Nashville and Kentucky Lake where I hope to have a sailboat.

I am familiar with I-24 going from Nashville to Kentucky lake, and of the times I have been on the interstate I have not seen the traffic to be that bad.

I have only been on I-40 inside of Nashville and have no idea what the traffic would be like at rush hour compared to I-24?

All 3 towns seem to be nice and small, of the 3, which would you pick and why?

I have been to Franklin and Fairview and they are out of the question, although nice, the traffic going through Franklin to Nashville is not for me.

Donny
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,822,862 times
First, have you considered keeping your sailboat at Priest Lake?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Allycat

I have been sailing on Kentucky lake since 1992 and there are so many unique things about the lake. Land Between the Lakes has so many protected coves to anchor in that we go for 2 weeks at a time, anchor in a different cove everynight, and always have the cove for ourselves (peacful, the way we like it).

You can go to Knoxville or to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida by boat from Kentucky lake. I would like to do both some day in retirement.

I don't really know much about Priest lake to make a comparison, but being so close to Nashville it must get pretty crowded on weekends??

Is Priest lake a good sailing lake for a 31' boat?

Donny

Old 07-02-2009, 06:17 PM

I just wasn't sure if you were aware of the Priest Lake option. It's the premier lake for sailboating in the Nashville area itself. Priest is fed by a different river system and is a little cleaner than either Old Hickory or Kentucky Lake.

I grew up in Clarksville and had family in Dover, so I spent a lot of time on Kentucky Lake when I was a youngster. I think LBL is one of the best kept secrets in our area; people here know it but not nearly as many people from out-of-state visit as they would if it were a national park (it's really big enough to be a park).

If you're retiring and going to the Kentucky Lake as often as you come to Nashville, then Pleasant View (or nearby Cooperstown) would probably be your best bet. The difference in time between it and Joelton is almost insignificant (about ten minutes). Except during rush hour you can zip right into Nashville from PV.

If you were working in Nashville, then Kingston Spring would offer some advantages over the other locations (especially if you were commuting to the west side of Nashville).

Does that help? I've fairly familiar with all three areas (and have friends who live in each), so if there's more you want to know just ask. If I don't know the answer I can ask one of my friends. My best friend lives in KS, and my "pretend daughter and grandkids" live in PV.

By the way, there's a place called Hidden Lake near PV. It's a little pricey, but it's a pretty area and has been nicely developed. The "lake" however is more like a very large pond than a TVA lake, so I wasn't suggesting it as an alternate to something like either Kentucky or Priest Lake. I've thought of buying a home site there myself.

Last edited by alleycat; 07-02-2009 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Alleycat, any idea what the homes are selling for at hidden lakes?

Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigbear View Post
Alleycat, any idea what the homes are selling for at hidden lakes?
Mostly a guess: homes over 3,000 SF would probably go for around $100-120/SF on a one acre lot, while homes smaller than that would be a little more per SF. I think I saw a couple of homes (3,000 SF+) for something like $320k the last time I was there, which has been a couple of years ago. The market has gone up a bit since then. Those same homes today might sell for $350k or more. There's a website for Hidden Lake if you want to look at some photos. You can Google and find it. Sorry, I don't think they'll let me post a link (those pesky moderators are on their toes).

One of our nice real estate members will probably see this and offer you a more accurate price range. If they don't see it, I'll have to go wake one of them up. ;-)

Hidden Lake was just one idea. There are quite a few newer developments in the PV area, although that has slowed due to the current economic conditions.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM

19 posts, read 38,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Mostly a guess: homes over 3,000 SF would probably go for around $100-120/SF on a one acre lot, while homes smaller than that would be a little more per SF. I think I saw a couple of homes (3,000 SF+) for something like $320k the last time I was there, which has been a couple of years ago. The market has gone up a bit since then. Those same homes today might sell for $350k or more. There's a website for Hidden Lake if you want to look at some photos. You can Google and find it. Sorry, I don't think they'll let me post a link (those pesky moderators are on their toes).

One of our nice real estate members will probably see this and offer you a more accurate price range. If they don't see it, I'll have to go wake one of them up. ;-)

Hidden Lake was just one idea. There are quite a few newer developments in the PV area, although that has slowed due to the current economic conditions.

Thanks Alley Cat... you were right, average square foot price is $112/SF right now. The smallest home that has 2100 square feet is $269k.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 AM

12 posts, read 23,601 times
Donny,

I'd have to agree with you. Kentucky Lake is great and is no comparison to Percy Priest. I'd like to one day have some property on the lake there, we always go to Paris Landing. Do you go to Paris Landing or up near KY Dam? I think you are picking three great areas. I actually grew up near Pleasant View in Coopertown. It's really grown a lot as more people are finding what a great area it is to live. It's about 30 minutes from Clarksville or Nashville. I have to admit real estate has become more expensive in the area but you will find most homes and neighborhoods to be very nice and often times the houses are spaced apart. You may want to look into Pleasant View Village if you are looking at retiring with little upkeep. It's similar to Frankin's Westhaven community where it's basically a community within a community. If I had to choose between the three, I'd go with Pleasant View. Also, look across I-24 in Coopertown it's similar to Pleasant View just doesn't have the commercial businesses that PV does. I've noticed even some on this board are deciding between Brentwood and Pleasant View. I think more people are realizing the great schools, convenience to Nashville, yet the more country feel of the area as compared to those areas south of Nashville. As for Kingston Springs, I actually live close to there now. While it's a nice, small town there's no good way to get to KY lake from there. I'd stick with I-24, if I was you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:11 AM

204 posts, read 518,295 times
Pleasant View may be the answer as many have commented on. The area has really grown in the past few years with both new housing and shopping. About middle distance between Nashville and Clarksville. We have many Soldiers who live in the area and commute to Fort Campbell. Best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville